word of warning (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogbo

HSC
N/A
First of all, this is my opinion and I know people will retaliate. People love to argue. But before you fly off the handle, keep in mind this is my first hand, experience and account of a uni that is crape and beyond mending.

To any people contemplating going to newcastle, listen to this advice from me, the awesome wogbo, before you make up your mind.

Basically, I went to Newcastle Uni this year, my first year at uni, and it was terrible. I lasted 6 months, and basically the reason for my failed attempt was that Newcastle Uni lacked any sort of spirit, any soul, or community that I have heard so much about from friends and relatives who have travelled all around Australia to go to other unis. It was sterile and bleak. The only good thing about it was the awesome chips and gravy.

Besides the fact that Newie Uni is in SO SO SO much debt and they're laying off so many staff to save money, but hiring new staff at the same time, the people who run that uni are douches. They are old, out of touch knits.

Unless you live on campus, Newcastle Uni is shite, bollocks. The union is pretty cool, but that'll probly be gone. If you like Gloria Jeans and Subway then Newie's the place for you.

And if you're the kind of person who enjoys paying thousands of dollars, eventually, for printing out your own lecture notes, and listening to lecturers and tutors who belong in a museum, then Newcastle is the place for you! Apply straight away because they'd love to have you and your money!

wogbo

HSC
N/A
psychology.

Boooring.

Now I'm a muso. Logical progression.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
being a muso sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than studying psychology.

wogbo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, and I don't have to go to UNCLE, which is good.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
A) The psychology programme at Newcastle is full of obsessive compulsive, anal retentive folk that could really use a bullet through the big toe

B) I don't live on campus but yet I still find there is an amazing atmosphere. Yeah, sure, you could come, go to your classes, go home, never get involved, but if you seek out a bit of a life there are more than enough opportunities.

C) Yes, we are in a staggering amount of debt, and the continuing quality of my education is something I have questioned on several occasions, however we're big people now and we're not at uni to be spoonfed. Yes, larger class sizes and stuff may make learning slightly more difficult, but if you can't adjust and learn on your own then you need to question if you deserve a tertiary education. Besides, academics will always help you out if you email them, or go to see them with any problems you have.

D) Newcastle has some of the best lecturers in their field, and having done first year PSYC I dispute your claim that the lecturers belong in a museum. Stuart Marlin and the like put an incredible amount of effort into making their lectures entertaining, the BIOL lecturers are all an amazingly incredible bunch (unless you guys still had Michael Linich, then I pity you), and your elective, well, I can't speak for it.

E) Any degree at any uni would require you to pay "thousands of dollars, eventually, for printing out your own lecture notes", so that reason is rather invalid.

F) Have fun being a musician, the uni certainly won't miss you.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
fucking idiot, for someone that went there you understand fuck all. maybe you failed because you are stupid. look within before assigning blame to others.

UGFighter

HSC
haha, there's an element of truth in that.

However, there are some good academic stuff... Jimmy Psaros, Krish Naidoo, Susie Wright.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
this made me so angry i had to come back. think we are shit. i am only half way through my degree and applied for three jobs for the holidays. i was offered all three. our university is held in high regard in industry and our graduates and undergraduates in huge demand. its comments like this that lower our admissions rate and make people struggle to try and go to sydney universities.

have a look at what goes on at our uni that doesnt make the news.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Agreed with hipsta_jess and mr bassman... uni is what you make it... It can be boring, It cant be crap, You can fail....

IF YOU CHOOSE TO

If you choose to have fun, work hard and make friends then its a lot of fun..

I think you will find the same situation no matter where you go.. get used to it.. but do it somewhere else..

Newcastle doesn't need fuckers like you

Justine2408

HSC
I'm sorry your experience has been so bad Wogbo.... but I agree with the others that have said that Uni is what you make it.

I accept that this is your opinion, but I was also extremely angry reading your post.

There are days when I come to Uni and I would rather be anywhere else, BUT there are other days, when I'm walking through the campus, having a coffee or a drink with my friends, hanging out at the bar on the Hill, going to events like Oktoberfest, talking to the people in my lectures and tutes and talking to my lecturers etc etc ...... where I realise what a fantastic place this Uni is.

Wogbo ...have you been to any other Uni??????????? We really are lucky here. Sure, the Uni is going through some difficulties, and certainly sem 2 2005 wouldn't have been the best sem the Uni has seen, but the staff who are left really are dedicated (mostly!!) and really want to be there and seem to genuinely like students (of course in a place the size of the Uni there is examples to the contrary!).

Wogbo .......... I think your words are dangerous, selfish and extremely shallow .... they may be your opinion, but maybe you could get off your arse and actually have a good hard look at yourself and the good parts of the Uni .....

my three cents worth!!!!!

wogbo

HSC
N/A
Hmm, In response to your accusations, I didn't fail any of my courses, I got distinctions in all but 1 of my units and the other was a credit, for first year of Psych.

And to Hipsta Jess honey, I can understand why you are so patriotic to your loving university, you defend it's every crack and fault, because your life seems to revolve around this make believe forum, where you can build up a virtual confidence and reputation that means nothing in the real world.

In conclusion, I hope Newcastle Uni sinks into the swamp it was constructed on and none of you get jobs.

Fuck you all!

UGFighter

HSC
niiiice

if you're going back next year, meet up with me and we can plan some more fires to fuck the Uni up even more :D

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
holy shit send him to the James Fletcher and save some time

wogbo

HSC
N/A
mrbassman said:
holy shit send him to the James Fletcher and save some time
How quick we are to presume that I'm a bloke. Mrbassman, as a fellow bassist, I'm shocked that another bass player could as presumptious as all the others on this virtual playground.

Justine2408 said:
Wogbo .......... I think your words are dangerous, selfish and extremely shallow ....
I warned you that it was my opinion you silly little git. Shallow? How? It was a first hand experience. I went there and was extremely disappointed, even tho I was a member of various clubs and groups.

I think in fact you're shallow, not letting yourself accept other people's opinions cos it upsets you. So you can fuck right off.

And to the pyromaniac, sorry mate, but I'm leaving Newie Uni for all these patriotic geeks to take care of, I'm going to melbourne to play bass as a session muso to make lots and lots of money, something that Newie uni doesn't have :cool: But it's good to see there's some people who aren't as stupid as to pounce on a shit stirrer like myself cos they're so sad they don't have real people to argue with.

Last edited:

UGFighter

HSC
Nice, good luck with it.

reckon you'll have enough time to fit some trolling on BOS in every so often? :p

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
wogbo said:
How quick we are to presume that I'm a bloke. Mrbassman, as a fellow bassist, I'm shocked that another bass player could as presumptious as all the others on this virtual playground.

I warned you that it was my opinion you silly little git. Shallow? How? It was a first hand experience. I went there and was extremely disappointed, even tho I was a member of various clubs and groups.

I think in fact you're shallow, not letting yourself accept other people's opinions cos it upsets you. So you can fuck right off.

And to the pyromaniac, sorry mate, but I'm leaving Newie Uni for all these patriotic geeks to take care of, I'm going to melbourne to play bass as a session muso to make lots and lots of money, something that Newie uni doesn't have :cool: But it's good to see there's some people who aren't as stupid as to pounce on a shit stirrer like myself cos they're so sad they don't have real people to argue with.

wow just wow. if you wanted to choose unemployed as a career maybe you should have tried an arts degree instead of psych, it would have been much less demanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)