Work Experience/ Volunteer work? (1 Viewer)

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
Alright since the summer holidays are approaching, its the last chance for many of the new year 12s to get some first hand experience on what's it like to work in the health industry.

Is anyone doing anything like volunteering for work at hospitals, clinics, etc? If you are, please share with us how you managed to get such an opportunity.

Does anyone know any places that one could volunteer/ or even work for experience? =]

s_01

HSC
i've tried a couple of times to do stuff over the summer break.. it's pretty hard to get into hospitals- depends where you are because here in Melb most have said no. Though i've been to a nursing home a few times...has anyone here been lucky enough to volunteer at a hospital?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
i've tried a couple of times to do stuff over the summer break.. it's pretty hard to get into hospitals- depends where you are because here in Melb most have said no. Though i've been to a nursing home a few times...has anyone here been lucky enough to volunteer at a hospital?
You can join the hospital auxillary, hospital red cross or volunteer hospital groups/corps/guides and get experience and patient interaction that way. I think it's better than just getting work experience and shadowing doctors and nurses.

s_01

HSC
No? because the vacancies were all taken or because they didn't want students with no experience running around?
the latter.. they just don't like the idea of young students hanging around and following busy staff, some said volunteers needed to be 18+ and volunteer for 2-3 months minimum (which is kind of impossible because i'm assuming most of us just want to do it during the break) and then there's the working with children check which i think you only need to get if you're over 18- but they still insisted that we get ourselves one :S

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
the latter.. they just don't like the idea of young students hanging around and following busy staff, some said volunteers needed to be 18+ and volunteer for 2-3 months minimum (which is kind of impossible because i'm assuming most of us just want to do it during the break) and then there's the working with children check which i think you only need to get if you're over 18- but they still insisted that we get ourselves one :S
o lol :dog: I like this smily =]

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
In Year 11 i did 2 weeks of voluntary work experience in hospitals and with allied health groups while i was trying to decide which area i wanted to pursue. It did help that my sister was a doctor (registrar at that point i think) and knew the heads of each department,lol, but i had a great time it was really helpful.
In the end i did a few days each with a Physio, a Speech pathologist, A social worker, on ward rounds with doctors, an OT and with some of the nurses in the psych and rehab wards too.

had to get the criminal background check and all the rest, but was def worth it if you can get in there.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
In Year 11 i did 2 weeks of voluntary work experience in hospitals and with allied health groups while i was trying to decide which area i wanted to pursue. It did help that my sister was a doctor (registrar at that point i think) and knew the heads of each department,lol, but i had a great time it was really helpful.
In the end i did a few days each with a Physio, a Speech pathologist, A social worker, on ward rounds with doctors, an OT and with some of the nurses in the psych and rehab wards too.

had to get the criminal background check and all the rest, but was def worth it if you can get in there.
lucky =P

Lukybear

HSC
Luky, my 2 weeks came just as swince flu came. They then told me I couldnt cause it was just too big of a risk.. i was teribbly disapoointed.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
I did my year 10 work experience at a hospital, the program they have for students is like spend time with nurses, physio, occupational therapist etc. However, after the first day the nurses thought I looked really bored and organised for me to go in theatre for the rest of the week with different kinds of surgeon, epic win.

It possibly helped that mum is a GP and knows all the hospital staff lol.
=O lucky ppls,
congratz on ur unsw med =]

lychnobity

HSC
I regularly do. But I don't do much, mainly helping out the nurses so they can do the real stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)