Work Experience with a GP or Hospital (1 Viewer)

Soldier

HSC
How could someone interested in healthcare and medicine be able to get work experience with a doctor or hospital?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yep.. u got good friends? and u need at minimum an RMO or a registrar or consultat. in a non emergency place..

u cant realli go through legitimate channels cos u actualli need to be OHS trained but u still need consent from patients.

legally speaking its very tough.. for a hospital.. but u may be able to shadow a couple of them... and GPs too..

good luck

vizman

HSC
just apply directly to the HR Manager in the hospital you want to do it at, thats how i did it

Soldier

HSC
Hey Vizman. How difficult was it for you to get work experience at the hospital you got it at, did you know someone there or did you just apply independently?

Also what did you do in your work experience with the hospital? And could I do work experience with a GP in a medical practice?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
I did about a week's worth of work exp in the cardio ward at Westmead childrens. Get in contact with HR and they're pretty good about accepting students. I just followed the registrar on ward rounds, chatted with a few patients, watched heaps of surgeries (including separation of conjoined twins!!) and played in the starlight room.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:
I did about a week's worth of work exp in the cardio ward at Westmead childrens. Get in contact with HR and they're pretty good about accepting students. I just followed the registrar on ward rounds, chatted with a few patients, watched heaps of surgeries (including separation of conjoined twins!!) and played in the starlight room.
Was that as a med student or a high school student?

Breakingthegirl

HSC
i did a week of work experience at the John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle during school holidays last year (year 11). My careers advisor told me about it. you had to apply and fill out a questionaire assessing personal qualities, etc (nothing stressful).
the work experience was actually for nursing, physiotherapy or pathology.
i did nursing (surgery) and spent my time in the Orthopaedic ward. When all the nurses found out that i catually wanted to do medicine, they let the doctors know and i was invited to "do the rounds" with them...it was very exciting.
anyway...my advice...ask careers advisor to get in touch with hospital/GP

vizman

HSC
Soldier said:
Hey Vizman. How difficult was it for you to get work experience at the hospital you got it at, did you know someone there or did you just apply independently?

Also what did you do in your work experience with the hospital? And could I do work experience with a GP in a medical practice?
well my father also works there, but i know heaps of people who did it without knowing anyone. be quick, hospitals have limited places and high demand for work experience

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
when i worked at John Hunter there were a few kiddies following around interns and they did get to see a bit (but maybe they were just lucky to have an enthusiastic intern)
i think one girl was able to go to theatres as well to see some gastro surgery.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Sepulchres said:
Was that as a med student or a high school student?
This was as a high school student...
It was also a fair few years back (*sigh) so I can't remember everything.

If you're interested, get a hold of a phone and call up the hospital. I think I called the main number but got passed around on the switchboard a few times until I got to the right place. Once you do get a hold of the department you want, it's pretty straightforward from there.

Be prepared to be overlooked a bit. Most doctors are pretty busy with their own work (most of which really is paperwork) so you should ask around other staff in the ward, if u can come with them on ward rounds etc.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I did work experience in Year 12 at St George Hospital, but through Nursing. I did Ante natal, Post natal, Neuro, Paeds and ICU. I loved it, all I did was go through Nurse Education, my careers advisior gace me the number.

stargaze

HSC
Is this for school work experience or just for your own interest?

Email, write to & call the HR department. I remember it was quite difficult to 'secure' a work experience place; i.e. sent numerous emails & called a few times because they never got back to me.

But yeh, as it has been said.. If you know some of 'importance' that will give u a much easier ride into and around the hospital.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hey, digging up an old thread, I know.
What is the 'HR department' (should I know what it is?)?

I did nursing work experience at the hospital, but I barely even got to see or talk to any doctors. I would like to do something else, preferably actually involving doctors.

Can you do that, like actually follow a doctor around, or are there too many rules surrounding it?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
HR = human resources..

yeah its not hard to follow a doctor around as long as the patient gives u permission..

ummmm thinkin about it in retrospectively there isnt THAT many rules.. just look but dun touch..

slowjam10

HSC
Does anyone have the contact details for the HR Manager at Westmead Children's Hospital or at least their name?

Thanks!!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
My mum is a GP, and one of my friends did work experience with her.
The receptionist just asked each patient before they went in if they minded having a work experience kid in there, most of them didn't mind, a few said no, but you have to expect that.
Its good especially if you go to a practice that has a lot of mums with kids, cos the mums dont mind so much, whereas adults dont really want people sitting in on their consults.
Maybe ask your doctor, or if you have any friends with doctor parents they might help out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)