Work Experience (1 Viewer)

sabira001

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
I know most work experience places won't let you do much of anything exciting, but mine did. (I just feel like bragging ^^) Well I got to operate a astronomical telescope which costs MANY thousands of dollars and also done routine stuff which most of the employees there had to do. We also got to run the place which they all had a staff meeting for the whole day. Mad as !
Was it with one of CSIRO's astronomy facilities? I wanted to apply for Industrial Physics at CSIRO but they aren't offering this year anymore due to some policy or other. They only let you get work exp at Parkes Observatory, which is miles away.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I done work experience in the school holidays. i go to a state school and their insurance covered it.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
sabira001 said:
Was it with one of CSIRO's astronomy facilities? I wanted to apply for Industrial Physics at CSIRO but they aren't offering this year anymore due to some policy or other. They only let you get work exp at Parkes Observatory, which is miles away.
I done mine at Sydney Observatory. Your one sounds so much better though because mine was a govt. organisation thing and was more for the public rather than full study. =(

f3nr15 said:
I did work experience at a Chinese restraunt that was down the road.

No-one from my school did work experience there so I decided to go and it was very good.

They were like family, every single day they invited me at lunch all round at a table and we spoke Chinese altogether.
It was a very nice place to work.
lol, I also went to my local asian resturant to ask for work experience and the lady wasn't very inviting. I would so love to have had to do work experience like that if the people were really that nice. =( x2

f3nr15 said:
Chinese restraunts are better.
* nodds * =]

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
I know most work experience places won't let you do much of anything exciting, but mine did. (I just feel like bragging ^^) Well I got to operate a astronomical telescope which costs MANY thousands of dollars and also done routine stuff which most of the employees there had to do. We also got to run the place which they all had a staff meeting for the whole day. Mad as !

My advice is, if your going to do work experience, GET A GOOD PLACE NOW ! i mean if you want something really good because i personally think doing work exp. @ like a retail store or something is useless unless your looking for a job there. Good places have spaces filled up quick. For mine I applied in T2 and went during T4 and I was the last applicant available for that particular time so yeah. Also dont compare to the people in your year who are like "OMG why are you going so far just to do something like that", "Come on join us at Kmart, its just down the road" .. dont listen to stuff like that
Wow, I wish I listened to that beginning of last year... I wanted to try CSIRO but it was so hard phoning there and I gave up after a few phone calls. Plus, I left it really late, so I ended up at Forte School of Music, who were like "yay, free labour... just come on Monday; don't wear jeans."

Observatory sounds mad.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Wow, I wish I listened to that beginning of last year... I wanted to try CSIRO but it was so hard phoning there and I gave up after a few phone calls. Plus, I left it really late, so I ended up at Forte School of Music, who were like "yay, free labour... just come on Monday; don't wear jeans."

Observatory sounds mad.
Yeah I really hated those places which just took advantage of you. It pissed me off but the people at the observatory were really nice and acted as if we had been working there for like years. =] Plus we wore what suited us and whatever was comfortable. We were also lucky enough to go to the top of the observatory (there so so many stairs & spiders !) and had the most effing beautiful scene of sydney. I must swear perfect place to watch NY fireworks. Lucky them. =(

lol sorry to rub it in. But it did cost me like 15 bucks travelling. But i personally believe, worth every cent ! & like 10 hours travel. Oh, god i never realised. =/ But yeah, i still think it was worth it.

Borbor

HSC
buttercupjuice said:
ahhah hi borbor :) ! try to guess who this is . :)

LOL i worked at a hotel , and all they did was make you file ! :O not very good, but on the last day i got to work in the restaurant and that was okayish .
wow, didn't expect to see you here.

For my work experience I also went to an airline catering place (same as James747).

It was AWESOME!!!! I got to set out economy class trays (put in the cups, knives, forks etc.), prepare business class salads. Heh, they even made me do the a whole set of United's Business Class fruit salad for one flight. Made some 21 Asiana cheese platters for business class and 10 or so fruit platters for Cathay. It was mad! They also provided free buffet lunch which was quite nice.

And on the last day as part of the airlien catering tour, they put me on "dispatching" the aircraft which meant getting in a truck with a driver and then driving through the restricted area and onto the tarmac!!!!

The flight we were supposed to load was delayed so we parked in front of the runway for 30 minutes just watching the beasts landing.

The driver, Bob, got bored so he took me to this part of the airport where all the planes that arrive in early in the morn. but dont depart until night stay. Then I got a chance to go up an empty United B747!!! Saw the first class, the premium economy, economy, galleys. Then went upstairs to business class checked out the galley and the cockpit.

It was AWESOME!

IAU001

HSC
hey guys my work exp is in term 4...are there any tips for calling? anything i should say and how i should say it? i really wanna do either the sydney observatory or the Airway office thing...sounds awessommmee

super-shinobi

HSC
kagrawal said:
hey guys my work exp is in term 4...are there any tips for calling? anything i should say and how i should say it? i really wanna do either the sydney observatory or the Airway office thing...sounds awessommmee
I'm also doing work experience in term 4! Ive applied a few places but its really troublesome trying to apply... gotta write a cover letter, resume, fill out applications... blehhh......

anyway heres the link for syd observatory work experience

www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/education/work_experience.asp

best of luck ^^

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
I think you'd be able to get it. Just depends on how many people are there and what dates you choose.

Work experience is a pain in the butt when you do it last minute as I wanted to do it again close to the christmas holidays and all the places couldnt afford for work experience people to make mistakes. damn them !

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
Pretty damn interesting thread. I had a good time reading everyones stories! :p

Mine happened in 2006, when I was in year 9. Basically what happened was that with one of the electives I chose, you go on an excursion for a week near the end of the year. Practically my whole year chose that subject just because of the excursion, rofl. Anyway, I figured, stuff coming to school for a week when no one will be there. So I went to my careers advisor and asked her if it was possible to do any Work Experience that week. She asked me what sort of thing I was interested in, and last year I was considering becomming a teacher (No offense to you lot out there, but Im reconsidering right now for a few reasons :p), so I asked to help out at a school.

I got given some form thing to give to the Primary School I went to. I was really excited about it, so I filled it out, and then walked up to the Primary School and introduced myself to the Principal (new one since I'd been there) and showed her the work experience form and explained what I was doing. She tells me that apparently the school has to organise it. I was a little surprised (considering I had a form - from the school), so I left her the form to sort out and went home.
Waited a few weeks (I'd organised it for about 5 weeks in advance) and then the Careers Advisor approached me and said that the principal expected older people (year 10+) to be doing Work Experience, and to be prepared incase I wasn't wanted up there.

I was a little dissapointed, and felt like I was being screwed over a bit. I know, a bit silly, but I was very hopeful. Then I hadn't been told until 2 weeks until Id hoped to do it, it didn't leave me much room to organise anything else.
So I went back up to the Primary School. The principal tells me she had a talk with my Principal and that she'd said I was a 'good kid' (which is interesting, because my principal is a guy. Im assuming she meant the careers advisor) and that she'd be happy to have me. So I asked for the form back because in my excited rush that first day, I never got mum and dad to fill out their section.
So I went home, explained what I wanted to do, they filled it out, I returned it and it was all set for 2 weeks time.

That was all the bit before the work experience. As for the actual work experience, I NOW understand why they wanted someone a bit older, mature etc.
I was basically a teacher's aid for kindergarten. While it was all well and fun, the
little monsters used me as a punching bag! A few of them pretended to not know anything so they couldn't do any work, and I had to go around explaining it/giving the answers out, and the teacher told them off for it, because she knew that they knew how to do it. I even gave a few of them piggy back-rides, until I was asked by the principal not to as I was an 'acting-teacher'.

I was just basically their all-round supervisor (Practically the whole class stuck around together during the lunch breaks). I also helped out in the library a little bit - you know how at the end of the year they do a stocktake of the books they have, arrange them and prepare them for the next year.

Dont get me wrong, I definately enjoyed myself. But I felt more like I was there to
be a 'play-buddy' than anything else. I didn't have access to the staff-room or anything a normal 'teacher' does - I used their toilets (the tiny things! Damn glad I didn't need to do a crap at all in school hours that week).

All in all, that was my interesting week of Work Experience.

They did ask me to come back this year though, which I thought was really cute - but Im more interested in an office-related environment this year.

Last edited:

wynnedoze

HSC
Remember you don't have to do work experience in year 10, I'm doing mine now in year 11 cause the dates just worked out better. If you wanna apply somewhere like a hospital or firm, don't feel bad if you get rejected, cause often they just don't know what to do with work experience people, just try another place.
If there is something you really want to to, but keep geting rejected, try a slightly different area, like James747 wants to be a pilot, or at least he did 6 months ago. He couldn't get experience flying planes...for obvious reasons, so he did his in a related industry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)