Work Experience (1 Viewer)

Gigacube

HSC
Local council. There's quite a few departments to choose to do work experience in so it's a good opportunity if there's something in particular that you're interested in.

There's also the zoo but one person per school can do work experience there.

If there's a specific career area that you're interested in you should try and find work experience there because it can help you decide what subjects to take for next year.

starryblue

HSC
Local council. There's quite a few departments to choose to do work experience in so it's a good opportunity if there's something in particular that you're interested in.

There's also the zoo but one person per school can do work experience there.

If there's a specific career area that you're interested in you should try and find work experience there because it can help you decide what subjects to take for next year.
right, thanks. unfortunately i'm not interested in any specific career area but i do know what subjects i'm doing next year =D

Gigacube

HSC
right, thanks. unfortunately i'm not interested in any specific career area but i do know what subjects i'm doing next year =D
I thought that too before work experience but I changed a few subjects. What subjects are you planning to do?

Don't leave looking for work experience until the last minute. You don't want to be looking after little kids.

Jaymay

HSC
I went to an amazing architecture firm. Do something your interested in, and theres nothing to fear in aiming high in the field. I was accepted by guys that have designed stuff world wide, i was amazed when they said yes.

Good luck

starryblue

HSC
I thought that too before work experience but I changed a few subjects. What subjects are you planning to do?

Don't leave looking for work experience until the last minute. You don't want to be looking after little kids.
umm...i'm planning to do maths extension 1, english, biology, chemistry, japanese and i think beginners french. actually i'm not really sure about french...i need one more unit...

starryblue

HSC
I went to an amazing architecture firm. Do something your interested in, and theres nothing to fear in aiming high in the field. I was accepted by guys that have designed stuff world wide, i was amazed when they said yes.

Good luck
hey that's cool, i was thinking of an architecture firm too but i'm really not sure...

Gigacube

HSC
umm...i'm planning to do maths extension 1, english, biology, chemistry, japanese and i think beginners french. actually i'm not really sure about french...i need one more unit...
I haven't heard of anyone doing 2 language subjects before. You might want to think about that as it may get confusing. How about business, legal, geo, history?

starryblue

HSC
I haven't heard of anyone doing 2 language subjects before. You might want to think about that as it may get confusing. How about business, legal, geo, history?
ahh....that's the problem! i'm not interested in anything commerce related or geo/history...originally i was planning to do design and technology but then apparently you get a lot of assignments next yr so i gave up on that!

Gigacube

HSC
ahh....that's the problem! i'm not interested in anything commerce related or geo/history...originally i was planning to do design and technology but then apparently you get a lot of assignments next yr so i gave up on that!
Don't choose not to do a subject because of that or scaling. Are you interested in computing? There's also VET courses delivered once a week at TAFE. You usually get Cert II qualifications and it goes towards your ATAR. Here's a list of what you can choose from: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetTvetCourses
Your school may also deliver these VET courses depending on how many people are interested in them.

starryblue

HSC

Good luck
oh btw, do you remember what the architecture firm is called?

b33g_boss

HSC
arggg.

worst 1 week of my life.

maybe you'll have a different exp. (well that's the purpose isn't it lol.)

i worked with my uncle (lol. not allowed i think) in his 'propeller shaft services' factory where it was pree hard labour of repairing stuff etc.

some machines there however was fun lol.

Emily_689

HSC
I do design and technology and you get the same amount of assignments as you do in english and the exams aren't too bad in the hsc the exam is only 1hr 30min compared to 3hr ones.

HSC
Uni Grad
Went to Myer at Chatswood, worked at menswear :p

I wonder if I could go back to Myer to work after HSC though...

glache

HSC
N/A
Went to Myer at Chatswood, worked at menswear :p

I wonder if I could go back to Myer to work after HSC though...
Not sure if you've heard of the series Are You Being Served?, but if you have....when I read the word "menswear" I suddenly imagined Mr Humphries saying it the way only he can. But yeah, re: your question, they should have Xmas casuals? And you're advantaged because they know who you are already.

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if you've heard of the series Are You Being Served?, but if you have....when I read the word "menswear" I suddenly imagined Mr Humphries saying it the way only he can. But yeah, re: your question, they should have Xmas casuals? And you're advantaged because they know who you are already.
But what if you kinda forgot how the system works and all that, would they still retrain me? :O or would they still make me work from day 1?

Last edited:

Fred93

HSC
Think of some family members who work for big companies/ask them if they have friends at any big companies.
It got me into a International law firm (Baker & McKenzie)....but above all do something that your interested in learning more about..
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)