Work Experience (1 Viewer)

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys,
I'm interested in doing work experience at a medical institution (I don't actually know exactly what career I want to pursue, but I'm pretty sure I would be most comfortable doing something to do with science), but the thing is, I don't know if I can get a place anywhere. I feel like it is too late to sign up- a lot of the hospitals I looked up only start accepting students at the end of each year for the following year. I actually enquired the Advisor at the end of last year about it, but there was a whole issue where no one could really apply for any hospital at the time for some reason I can't remember. Anyway, now it is possible, but I don't know whether I can get a place since it's so late into the year I think, and it's really stressing me out, because I really want to do it, and I might need it to help me later on. I asked about it again at the end of last term, which is when I seriously started searching for an opportunity. My careers advisor asked one of the hospitals that I preferred, and they said that they only open applications at the end of each year for the following year. I asked another hospital, and they didn't even get back to me. Most hospitals say they only accept Yrs 10 and 11 students, and I'll be in Yr 12 in just over 6 months, and I can't do it in Term 4 anyway, because we'll be starting the HSC and pretty much every week will hold an assessment, so there won't be an entire week when I'm free.

Does anyone know whether it is actually possible to apply for work experience at any kind of medical institution (doesn't really have to be a hospital) at this time of the year and get it this year? I'm in a really difficult situation, and though I do have some free weeks for the remainder of Prelims, I don't know whether any place will accept me now for then (which is kind of soon, actually). Please help me, as I would really love to have this opportunity. :)

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi guys,
I'm interested in doing work experience at a medical institution (I don't actually know exactly what career I want to pursue, but I'm pretty sure I would be most comfortable doing something to do with science), but the thing is, I don't know if I can get a place anywhere. I feel like it is too late to sign up- a lot of the hospitals I looked up only start accepting students at the end of each year for the following year. I actually enquired the Advisor at the end of last year about it, but there was a whole issue where no one could really apply for any hospital at the time for some reason I can't remember. Anyway, now it is possible, but I don't know whether I can get a place since it's so late into the year I think, and it's really stressing me out, because I really want to do it, and I might need it to help me later on. I asked about it again at the end of last term, which is when I seriously started searching for an opportunity. My careers advisor asked one of the hospitals that I preferred, and they said that they only open applications at the end of each year for the following year. I asked another hospital, and they didn't even get back to me. Most hospitals say they only accept Yrs 10 and 11 students, and I'll be in Yr 12 in just over 6 months, and I can't do it in Term 4 anyway, because we'll be starting the HSC and pretty much every week will hold an assessment, so there won't be an entire week when I'm free.

Does anyone know whether it is actually possible to apply for work experience at any kind of medical institution (doesn't really have to be a hospital) at this time of the year and get it this year? I'm in a really difficult situation, and though I do have some free weeks for the remainder of Prelims, I don't know whether any place will accept me now for then (which is kind of soon, actually). Please help me, as I would really love to have this opportunity. :)
I would recommend branching out in other places other than hospitals. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about work experience at medical institutions :(

But, I can really relate to this. When looking for my TVET work placement, I couldn't find a single place willing to accept me. I tried banks, schools, administration in hospitals, shops etc. and nothing. I probably called 50 places.

When I had little to no hope left, a local accounting firm took me in.

Point of the story: if you keep trying, it'll happen in due time.

All the best :)

EDIT: It also helps if you're 16 or over. This was my biggest obstacle.

Last edited:

Kolmias

HSC
By the sounds of it, hospitals might be a bit tricky to get work experience. Maybe try ringing up some local GPs, dentists, OTs, physios and just ask if you could shadow them. There are tonnes of health practitioners out there so I'm sure you'll find something.

bujolover

HSC
I would recommend branching out in other places other than hospitals. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about work experience at medical institutions :(

But, I can really relate to this. When looking for my TVET work placement, I couldn't find a single place willing to accept me. I tried banks, schools, administration in hospitals, shops etc. and nothing. I probably called 50 places.

When I had little to no hope left, a local accounting firm took me in.

Point of the story: if you keep trying, it'll happen in due time.

All the best :)

EDIT: It also helps if you're 16 or over. This was my biggest obstacle.
By the sounds of it, hospitals might be a bit tricky to get work experience. Maybe try ringing up some local GPs, dentists, OTs, physios and just ask if you could shadow them. There are tonnes of health practitioners out there so I'm sure you'll find something.
Thank you both for your encouragement and help. I did end up emailing other types of medical institutions, and I got one at UNSW Museum of Human Disease!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)