Work experience (1 Viewer)

dumNerd

HSC
Hey, I wanna do Med and after like ages of searching I'v finally got my hand on a med work experience program. I was just wondering how exactly this would help me in the future

_rakelt

HSC
Yep^^ My friend was very smart and wanted to do med - and she definitely had the marks + ucat score for it! However.. after she did work experience at a surgery clinic, she was super traumatised going into surgery LMAO so shes doing veterinary science now to become a vet instead

dumNerd

HSC
Yep^^ My friend was very smart and wanted to do med - and she definitely had the marks + ucat score for it! However.. after she did work experience at a surgery clinic, she was super traumatised going into surgery LMAO so shes doing veterinary science now to become a vet instead
oh damnn

c8

HSC
As said before it will give you an idea of studying medicine and practicing medicine, but in terms of application it won't give too much of an advantage aside from giving you something to draw upon in interviews perhaps. Regardless, it will look good on a resume applicable in any field or job etc and show you have good initiative. It could also help you get in touch with a mentor and people in the field that you want to be in

riceisyummy

HSC
huh? if she gets traumatised going into surgery then how is she gonna become a vet? vets do surgery as well

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
My eldest worked as a volunteer one day a week in a nursing home during her gap year. She loved it and all the residents, their families & staff loved having my daughter around. That’s how we knew she was likely to become a good doctor. Not just to pad out her resume, she also gained plenty of real life experiences and insight, about the frail elderly who have more complicated medical conditions than any other group, which I suspect stood her in excellent stead at her med entry interviews. She got offers at all her first choice med schools in every state, so she did well at most if not all of her interviews.

Last edited:

specificagent1

HSC
you'll be able to draw upon it in any sort of written application or interview if you choose to pursue med

dasfas

HSC
In terms of getting into med school, it won't help much if at all. The majority of schools care about GPA/GAMSAT, not extracurriculars.

That said, it's still super important to see if you actually enjoy the work, so think of this as an opportunity for self-development

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)