work load??? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi everyone i am in year 10 and have just finished my subject selections for next year, and i am a little worried about ancient history. this is because i have heard that there is heaps of work, and dont know if i will be able to cope. i also heard that in examinations and assignments that there is a lot of writing, this is a problem for me because i write pretty slowly and dont think that i will be able to write quality essays in a given amount of time...

so could anyone give me a rough outline of the workload that i can expect, and/or compare ancient history to other 2 unit subjects (in terms of workload)

thanksss

anone.playm8

HSC
Don't do it. Seriously.

I made the mistake of doing it, and I sorely regret it, it involves a LOT of reading, and is plain boring.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
primeobjective said:
hi everyone i am in year 10 and have just finished my subject selections for next year, and i am a little worried about ancient history. this is because i have heard that there is heaps of work, and dont know if i will be able to cope. i also heard that in examinations and assignments that there is a lot of writing, this is a problem for me because i write pretty slowly and dont think that i will be able to write quality essays in a given amount of time...

so could anyone give me a rough outline of the workload that i can expect, and/or compare ancient history to other 2 unit subjects (in terms of workload)

thanksss
honestly, it depends on how into history you are, the above post shows maybe a bad subject choice, perhaps they just didnt enjoy history as much as they thought they did.

Personally, ancient is my favourite subject, as a result i actually enjoy writing long essays exploring topics and get pissed off with word limits. Yes, there is quite a lot of work involved, but don't get too hung up on it, most subjects require a lot of effort to do well.

In terms of writing slowly, as long as you are writing quality work it shouldnt be too much of a problem, don't be intimidated by those who write like 10 pages every 40 minutes, often their work is waffly and not very good. Besides, you learn how to write essays better over the prelim and hsc courses, so how you are writing now will be a far cry from how you write in you're hsc.

Don't stress, take the subject, if you don't enjoy it, change to something that interests you more. :)

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
ok workload for hsc and prelim well on assignments that varies due to they are internally set things so not sure.
BUT for the test it is set out 4 parts:
PART1: CORE
this part is set so u have like two sentence answers uestions then a paragraph one then a half page and end with about a page and a half response
PART2 society:
this part has short answers so it is short answers sorta thing varying between 4-5 uestions which should amount to about 4 pages written work
PART3 personality:
this is either 2-3 uestions and pretty much needs alot of writting again prob around 4-5 pages
Part4 time period:
THIS IS AN ESSAY as such 4 pages prob minimum mabye even 5

as u can see ancient has an alright workload i mean it all depends on how well u enjoy the subject as this really overall determines ur willingness to learn remember and write more.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
bradman said:
Ancient History is somewhat similar to english.

The writing style is different though. In english you explore shithouse concepts and other wishy washy crap. In Ancient, it is somewhat less subjective - you make a point; then back it up with a source. Much easier in that sense

It does have a lot of content though. Unless you find your topics (Or ancient history in general) interesting, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

Heavy-ish workload. I've hardly done any work (Up until the last couple of weeks) and I'm really feeling the heat of how much I need to cover
im suprised at your subjects, you just have ancient thrown in there, how come?

HSC
N/A
well yeah i am doing ext 1 eng, but not society and culture. my other subjects are general maths, pdhpe, chemistry, Ancient history and SOR1. i hope to do something in sport, but i just like history.. LOL

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
yea well seriously all comes down to ur enjoyment if i was u i would go to whoever teachers ancient and ask what are ur 3 optionals going to be and see if u like them

melmont13

HSC
Ancient is easy as tits. Then again depends on what subjects you do. Rome is awesome fun, and my teacher isn't the best but still it's mainly just reciting facts. Except for personality/period then it involved some critical thinking.

NickLG

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
ok workload for hsc and prelim well on assignments that varies due to they are internally set things so not sure.
BUT for the test it is set out 4 parts:
PART1: CORE
this part is set so u have like two sentence answers uestions then a paragraph one then a half page and end with about a page and a half response
PART2 society:
this part has short answers so it is short answers sorta thing varying between 4-5 uestions which should amount to about 4 pages written work
PART3 personality:
this is either 2-3 uestions and pretty much needs alot of writting again prob around 4-5 pages
Part4 time period:
THIS IS AN ESSAY as such 4 pages prob minimum mabye even 5

as u can see ancient has an alright workload i mean it all depends on how well u enjoy the subject as this really overall determines ur willingness to learn remember and write more.
If you're worried about how many pages you write, maybe it's better to consider how many words you write. A person can write 8 pages....but he may only have 4 words per line whereas you may only write 4, yet you have 10 words per line. Who's written more?

Each section is roughly 45 minutes each, so you have to consider how much you can write in this time. I've heard that the average student writes 800-900 words in this time frame. However if you want to be getting top band marks you're ganna want to be writing 1000+ fairly comfortably.

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
primeobjective said:

thanksss
I love ancient history so i chose to do it in yr11/12 and even though some modules are boring, but other aspects were really interesting. I'm a slow writer but i managed to write great quality essays i just have to be more cautious about my timing in exams. In terms of work load i did not suffer as i did Visual Arts (this involved a HUGE workload and included a Major Work) and Agriculture (involved large amounts of work and a major work scientific research experiment) In terms of workload its a lot of info to digest and remembering a lot of sources and quotes. I went through 4 books over the 2 years lol :lol:

It is your choice if you think you can cope or not
but remember you can always drop it after yr 11 if you hate it that much

:) just think about it
xx

OliverQ

HSC
if you like history and are a good writer, easy as anything
its my favourite subject

its really easy to get good marks in if you put the effort in unlike other subjects cough*maths*cough where you can put in alot of effort and still do terribly.

very interesting especially if you got a good teacher which i dont but i enjoy hisory:p

dont worry about the page limit unless you write like 1 page every 20minutes most assessments and exams will be essay's but if you plan everything out before hand (which you should) or even write a practice essay you can go into an exam and write your ass off without having to think about much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)