• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Working alongside eng. (1 Viewer)

steven holwerda

HSC
Both my brother and sister have had courses that demand low contact hours so haven't found it a problem to juggle a couple of days work alongside their degrees. Now I'm starting uni this year, I need to find a fairly decent job myself, though I'm starting to wonder if this is even possible with a timetable that stretches across the working week and with church and music commitments holding the weekend hostage (would probably be able to free up saturday if need be and work sunday arvos though time's still looking short).

I guess my main saviour would be if I can take off Wednesdays (have no tutes or labs on this day) though does UNSW record lectures for COMP1911, MATH1131, MATS1101 and PHYS1131 and is it even allowed to be absent for these six hours of lectures (and I guess will I fall behind drastically if I am)?

Wondering right now how other engineering students support themselves during uni?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You are allowed to skip lectures but really, if you're not going to go to those six hours of lectures - you then have to find six hours or so elsewhere to catch up.

Engineering students have ridiculous timetables and I'm sure many of them don't work. You shouldn't either with that sort of load, and just find another way of supporting yourself without working.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm able to fit around 10-15 hours of work during the work week while on an engineering timetable. You can definitely skip lectures (not a single lecture I've attended has taken attendance, there are just too many people. The ones you mentioned all fall into this.), but as Shadowdude said, it isn't recommended as you're still going to have to catch up those hours at some point. I managed to juggle 3 simultaneous jobs and 18 units (3 courses) last semester but had to skip quite a few lectures, but the point is it's definitely possible.

steven holwerda

HSC
Parents wouldn't be so happy if I decided not to work but then again, it'd be a lot worse if I don't get the marks I need. I'll think about it and might get a few smaller jobs (dog walking or tutoring one or two kids on a Saturday) but just so I know, are the lectures recorded or do we only get the slides?

Also, if you can think of any small jobs that'd be suitable, feel free to recommend.

D94

HSC
N/A
Parents wouldn't be so happy if I decided not to work but then again, it'd be a lot worse if I don't get the marks I need. I'll think about it and might get a few smaller jobs (dog walking or tutoring one or two kids on a Saturday) but just so I know, are the lectures recorded or do we only get the slides?

Also, if you can think of any small jobs that'd be suitable, feel free to recommend.
Most lectures are audio recorded (i.e. no visual), most have slides, but if there is working out (e.g. for maths), those are rarely included in the slides, which is what lecturers do to make you go to the lectures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)