• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Working at a bank (1 Viewer)

Millsy90

HSC
Not really interested in further study, I would rather just find a job and work my way up to the top end. I have heard that banks often look for people who have just completed their yr12 studies.

Does/Has anyone work at a bank?, How did you get the job? and what did you do/like ect?

Seems like I should do a little more research myself into the matter but I am busy and lazy. :lol:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Difficult to work your way to the top end with no qualifications in this day and age buddy.

It's possible, but not likely.

That said, my friend works for a bank after leaving in year 11, credit card fraud departments or something so id say yes they do hire.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
a mate of mine left after school c and worked for woolies at his area. he got promoted to store manager at 20 and now earns around 80k, works from home and rocks up to the store whenever he feels like.

there is a future in it.

CieL

HSC
Yeah I have a few friends which are HS graduates and have had positions at CBA.

One girl in my year got straight into recruitment. Which was a surprise to everyone as she wasn't exactly the most uhhh cooperative student.

Some other guy started off as a teller.. he's not some analyst..

Another girl works as I don't know wtf, but she's been there for awhile.. earns about 60k..

And CBA allows unlimited sick leave =S

blakegman

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
a mate of mine left after school c and worked for woolies at his area. he got promoted to store manager at 20 and now earns around 80k, works from home and rocks up to the store whenever he feels like.

there is a future in it.
Fair enough not bad, though i have to say store manager at a woolie isn't really that high a position up on the corporate ladder.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
If you really want to be up in the corporate ladder; I would highly recommend getting at least a degree...especially in the banking industry...think of it as just staying competitive against the bunch of kids who are highly qualified coming out of uni...

Although they might not have the 3 years experience edge over you; employers are still gonna prob prefer them over you...since that they have something to prove that they are capable to learn and excel; the degree signifies more than just study, it demonstrates ability to adapt to new things. And face it...most kids who come out of uni might get a graduate program which pays equal if not more than you when they are fresh out.

I have to agree that study is not for everyone...and if you hate it...then there is no point, but career wise, i think uni is essential nowadays...even most managers and CEOs have to go back to study just so that they don't feel outsmarted by their subordinates.

My opinion is...if you want to go into a career straight out of high school, you'd be better off finding an apprenticeship in another industry...If you're really determined in finance and banking...i think...HSBC has a apprenticeship for tellers and stuff too..

whatever you choose, good luck =)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
blakegman said:
Fair enough not bad, though i have to say store manager at a woolie isn't really that high a position up on the corporate ladder.
no it's not, and I highly doubt he is able to "rock up whenever he wants"

Store managers still have to answer to the area manager, and the regional manager, and then the regional managers have to answer to the general managers.

Store managers still have PLENTY of people above them, they cant just take it easy

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
darkwolfzx said:
^ quite true.

My last store manager got "demoted" (moar like sacked) after a regional manager paid a visit
which store? wasnt Winston Hills or Marsfield by any chance was it?

michael1990

HSC
I was so surprised when i found out CBA doesn't offer Cadetships/Traineeships.

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
^ quite true.

My last store manager got "demoted" (moar like sacked) after a regional manager paid a visit
A previous store manager got sent to a notoriously quiet store after a regional manager concluded that he "didn't handle stressful situations very well".

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
my teacher warned us never to work in a bank. he did and it ruined his sex life.

CieL

HSC
lizziegirl said:
my teacher warned us never to work in a bank. he did and it ruined his sex life.
He's just not doing it right.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
townie said:
no it's not, and I highly doubt he is able to "rock up whenever he wants"

Store managers still have to answer to the area manager, and the regional manager, and then the regional managers have to answer to the general managers.

Store managers still have PLENTY of people above them, they cant just take it easy
yea, but with where he works, up at hunter region, there is only about 2 stores in the whole area, so i guess he would have bridged a real good relationship with his superior, and he gets away with a lot more.

the thing is, woolies isn't interested in investing money into regional stores, so as long as it doesn't come back with a loss, they could not care less. that's my theory anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)