Working at a Law firm different experience then Uni? (1 Viewer)

monzi

HSC
Hey guys. I've recently gotten work experience at a law firm and I'm so suprised at how different practice is to theory. I've been involved in contracts, wills, probates, property settlements and its just so different to theory I do at university. Anybody else feel this way?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
than*

Studying civil procedure is eye opening.

santaslayer

HSC
monzi said:
Hey guys. I've recently gotten work experience at a law firm and I'm so suprised at how different practice is to theory. I've been involved in contracts, wills, probates, property settlements and its just so different to theory I do at university. Anybody else feel this way?
What do you mean *different*?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
El Misterio said:
It's very different, but that's hardly surprising.
Agreed. Nothing in reality is as cut and dry as the hypotheticals we're given in class. Its a totally different world. I love its intricacy, and the depth clients stories and experience add to it.

No doubt when I'm dealing with it 40+ hours a week, I'll be over it! :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Im working in a mid-tier law firm in the city that does a bit of everything, I guess there are some differences (which granted, you should really expect anyway) but also some similarities.

Solicitors still do a lot of legal research, Im often at the law society library fetching copies of cases and what not. And the practical stuff like client interviewing is very similar to what you learn at uni.

On the other hand I guess when you get into the practical environment theres a lot more focus on the human side--at law school you are focussing on what the law says and how to apply it whereas in my experience working in the firm Im at, theres more of a focus on making sure they client ends up happy.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I work in the legal dept of an investment bank, the area of law I deal with is extremely esoteric and nothing like anything I study at uni.

I like it this way though, because my uni work has little bearing on my ability to be proficient at work I find myself on more of a level playing field with the admitted solicitors there so I'm not just stuck doing boring paralegal shit all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)