Working conditions optimal or not? (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I just started a new casual job and I'm already got a few problems with it. I am going to quit as I have now been offered better jobs. But I just want to get your opinions on these work conditions.

* If you work 10 hours, you only get a 1hr break for lunch. That is it, the other 9 hours are spent on ur feet with no chance of sitting down even for a few mins (I got told off!).
* There is a kitchen, but it is filthy, there are boxes strewn everywhere, no soap, no working powerpoints to plug in a kettle to boil water in if you want some freakin tea... no one has appeared to clean it since I've started working there. It is looking grimy yuk!
* There is no adequate place to sit down in the back area, there is no seat in the entire store! Yet alone a table to eat off if you bring your lunch to work.
* The air conditioning is not working efficiently. It is hot and stuffy all day long, which makes me dehydrated and tired fairly easy. I can't always nip off and drink water in the back room, what with trying to climb over boxes in there to get my water bottle and the lack of other staff to watch over the store.
*There is no medical kit for cuts or injuries... if you cut urself badly like I did, I had to go to the toilets a good 5 mins away to clean up my bleeding hand. There weren't even any tissues in the store!

Ok enough with my rant! :burn:
I'm not over exaggerating, and I have been told to report them by workchoices... merely because of making me work over 4 hrs without a 10 min break and lack of a seating area in the store, not including the other stuff. So I guess I will.

Anyone else got any crappy work conditions they are working/have worked in?? Please do tell :D

alby

cool duckie
HSC
god! yeah, definitely report them! i'm surprised they havent been reported before.
what sort of place is it?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
interesting, because a lot of places are like that and no one bothers to report them or do anything about it. when they ask the supervisor, the response is generally along the lines of 'why don't you clean it up?'. pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

in terms of working 10 hours without a break, bar the 1hr lunch. that's is quite standard, surprisingly. if you place the lunch break between the shift, you'd be actually working 2 4.5hr shifts. makes sense? when i worked during the cricket as a supervisor, i stood for 13hrs. because i had to sub my people so they could have a break, that means it was around the clock standing around everywhere once in a while. in the end, i only had 2 blocks of 15min breaks. though the cricket kept me interested, so it was ok.

anyway, report them if they are that dismal.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
wuddie said:
when i worked during the cricket as a supervisor, i stood for 13hrs. because i had to sub my people so they could have a break
that was your choice though...the OP hasnt had a choice in the matter (other than leaving the place)

HSC
my work is generally pretty good, but they're pretty half-assed with f&b staff when it comes to breaks - if you work less than six hours you get nothing, and if you work more than six hours (i generally work like 7-8 hours a night) you get like a 15 minute break right towards the end of your shift. occasionally half an hour if the supervisor is feeling nice or if its really quiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)