Working in a bar? (1 Viewer)

Sasky

HSC
Anybody do this?

I'm going along to picl up RSA cert in the city with a crash-course in bar work after exams. I noticed it's hugely popular, so hows the competition in the workforce? Is it hard to get a job for it, do u get paid well and is the hours ok?

p.s. not sure if its been posted yet sooo please ignore if yes... :p

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I think it'd be easier to get a job in the suburbs at a smaller pub to start off with.

I'm going to London at the end of the month for pub work/holiday but don't have any bar experience.. so hopefully when I get back I'll be able to get a better job here.

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
Sasky said:
Anybody do this?

I'm going along to picl up RSA cert in the city with a crash-course in bar work after exams. I noticed it's hugely popular, so hows the competition in the workforce? Is it hard to get a job for it, do u get paid well and is the hours ok?

p.s. not sure if its been posted yet sooo please ignore if yes... :p
ok i have my rsa. its easy
to get a bar job u need experience with pulling beer and makiing drinks.
to do this a simple bar course will do
u may also need an RSG for paying out pokies and other gambling such as races etc. this is probably mandtory

i can easily get a job in a bar because i am familiar with wines. any knowledge on wine will help u go far.

anyway goodluck.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
yeah im doing a bar course for RSA and RCG certificates in december after i get back from schoolies. Like pookie said you really need to do the RCG as well or else the only place you're really eligible to work is the local bottlo

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
you can also get jobs in restaurants where they serve alcohol- if you have your rsa they can pay quite well

kelboo

HSC
Just be careful tho... if you want to work at a bar and ur a girl... watch out for the sleazies. I would never personally work in a bar for this reason, even though it'd be SOO much fun I reckon!!! :)

HSC
Err no offence to anybody, but most of that experience is required etc is just bullshit.

I've worked in a very popular nightclub/bar for well over 18months now, and when I started I didn't know anything. Almost none of the people hired are based on exerience. Learning to pour a beer? It takes 1 go, its not rocket science... Making drinks? 95% of people order common drinks that anybody could figure out (eg vodka and orange, bourbon and coke) and if not, you can just ask the customer or another barstaff what it is...

As wrong as it may sound, most bars obviously hire females based on their looks and personalities - you hardly ever see 'ugly' girls, and most of the chicks are able to joke around but yet also be able to tell you to go get fucked if ur an asshole.

RSA and RCG are a definite must..
Hours depend on where you work... so does pay
Jobs come and go pretty quickly... the staff turnover is massive.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah it's true that most cool nightspots hire chicks based on looks..... however other places like RSLs, suburban pubs, even more upmarket bars in hotels/motels aren't as discriminating about looks, often it's more about presentation, personality or experience.

But yeah, most places where young people go they hire based on looks.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm contemplating my doing my RSA/RCG/Bar course/Barista..etc...but I dunno..all up it will be about $350, which is a lot of money to spend considering its pretty unlikely I'll get a job out of it (despite what karnevil said, everywhere up here [at least, everywhere up here that advertisers] wants at least 2yrs experience)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends how good a barista course and bar course it is.... if it is decent, then it is probably worth the money. If it isn't that good then it maybe isn't necessary. You can get a job in a cafe without any experience.... just ask around, they usually don't advertise for jobs. Take your resume, and go on a massive walkabout dropping in to any cafe you would be willing to work in. Tell them that you would be willing to take a barista course if they wanted you to.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
I was wondering, is it possible to get an RSA certificate if you're 17. It may sound idiotic, but indeed I know at least 2 ppl who started working in bars/hotels when they were 16/17. Although, this may have been because of their connections with the upper management.

So, for us real people, whose does not have a parent that manages the Coogee Palace, can we get the RSA/work in a bar?

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
no you can't get your RSA if you're 17, as it is a condition of application that you are of legal drinking age

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
yes u can get ur RSA is u r 17...i have mine, and im not 17 until march 2005....i wrote my real d.o.b on the course application too....ur still allowed, i did it thru skool and everything

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
ok my bad, it must just depend on where you do it, im doing mine through a 3 day tafe course and it was a requiremnet on the application that i would be 18 at the time i did it

Super_Flyse

HSC
It depends who you do it through...

If its through tafe then, yeah you have to be 18.

I did mine through another company and i am only 17 and I asked if you had to be 18 and they said "No, you have to be 16"

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Hmm. Soo...do you have to be 18 to WORK at a place that serves alcohol, or is that where the connections come in?

HSC
You do not have to be 18 to do your RSA/RCG

In most circumstances you do have to be 18 to serve alcohol. You can apply for special consideration, or if you are on close terms with management they may let it slide...

dave_119

Banned
HSC
ive done my rsa/rcg, rather easy.. applying at a pub after exmas and schoolies, and they will train me in everything if successful... if u really wanna make a go of the industry while ur young!! travel to england, there a jobs available at pubs. because most poms are to lazy to work.. im defering from uni, and working for 9 months in england and ireland...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
STA have a British pub stay program where they get you a job at a pub before you go over, you get accommodation and everything it sounded tops!

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
STA have a British pub stay program where they get you a job at a pub before you go over, you get accommodation and everything it sounded tops!
I did that but through Original London Pubs - you don't have to worry about anything, it's great! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)