Working in Engineering/Construction (1 Viewer)

pottsy44

HSC
Does anyone here work in engineering or construction while studying at the same time?

what degree do you do?

what year are you in your degree?

full time or part time study?

where do you work?

what is your position and what do you do?

how many hours do you work?

how much do you get paid?

what is your working arrangements? (study leave, bonuses etc.)

or if you have graduated you can answer the questions that are applicable.

-=John=-

HSC
Yeah i'm working as an undergraduate structural engineer at the moment and studying civil engineering full time. I'm currently in my 3rd year but there is one student working for this same company who's only in her first or second year, I forget which exactly.

Obviously as we don't have degrees we can't be given any "real" responsibility but we do proper design work and computer modelling. Basically you are assigned to a senior engineer and he gives you work to do, in my case I was helping with the same project for the entire time. While I was there I designed some reinforced concrete footings, did load run downs (very tedious and boring) and looked at connection design among other random things.

It payed $17/hr and the hours were 8 - 5 with a 1 hr break. I work full time during the holidays and I could have worked a day a week during semester but couldn't due to a crappy uni timetable (had lectures on every day). Working at a place called Robert Bird in the Melbourne CBD (collins st).

Sorry I hope that makes sense and answers at least some of your questions, it's late and I'm tired so it might not be very coherent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)