Working in free periods? (1 Viewer)

atBondi

HSC
Ok, so our free periods last about 55 mins, and in year 11 we just played COD on the computers haha, but i wanna start making good use of my frees and i wanna know whats the best to do cause i've given up playing. Btw, our frees are in the library with computers.

But like when i try to do maths with my other friends, i cant seem to think as well alone, and i end up doing like 2 questions which is like 20 mins work compared to if i work alone.
And for english, when im reading a book at home in my room, i can manage to read a page without taking it in, so i dont think it'd work in the library where everyones talking.

So im wondering, whats evryone else do in their frees? how can i actually use it effectively? / what are the methods and what do you do? maths/read/ chem etc?
Im easily distracted haha.
Thanks.

speedofsound

HSC
usually catching up on assignments, talking or literally doing absolutely nothing. seriously sometimes i just sit there because i'm not bothered to do anything else

ValentinesM

HSC
are you restricted to spending your free periods at the library? if you're free to move to a quad/free classroom, maybe you could try that (if it's relatively quieter). is there an area designated for study in the library?
how about try making summaries/notes for your subjects? doing some research for upcoming assessment tasks on the computers? or even use a bit of time to do a study plan for the weekend, etc
you should definitely try to get as much work done in the library as you can, because that way, you'll have much more time to spare at home, where you would be able to do extra studies. use your time wisely!!! good luck

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually just head to a quiet part of the library, listen to my ipod and catch up with maths, or english if it's due later that day. Without the music I find it a lot harder to concentrate with other people around, but some people find this distracting. If you find it hard working alone in frees, I guess you could try hopping on the computer or whatever and making notes on whatever you've learnt that day? Which would help you in revising the work as well as giving you notes to study off for exams later on.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Music in my ears blocked everything else out and let me study like if i was on my own, but don't do this if you can't concentrate with music on!

atBondi

HSC
@ speedofsound, lolol thats exactly what i dont wanna do! cept i used to play COD.... hahas...

yeah, i find it pretty hard to do work when everyone is around and distracting, and at home like i can do pure maths for like 4 hrs and its fine, but like during frees i just cant seem to work effectively... and assignments and stuff, they're always changing so i was looking for something solid i can do every free period. (like maths) Hmmm i think im gunna try the ipod method with maths... but thing is were not allowed mp3's in the library... hahaa... and im also restricted to the library, but everyone with frees is there..

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
I never used to work in free periods either, to be honest. :p

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I do hw during my free periods so that I can make notes and study at home

use your freebies wisely

atBondi

HSC
I sure wanna use them wisely haha. But i just get distracted so easily, no ipods, no leaving the library, friends everywheree ergh.
i swear i work at like 30% of what i can do at home, and i have like 5" studys" a week and i cud do alotta work if i used it good...ly.

mrsd26

HSC
N/A
What I find helps:
*headphones - I assume yr allowed yr mp3 (some schools don't). I find it great 4 knocking out the extra chat etc
*have a prioritised "to do" list in small bits that you can check off eg. 1 - read bio assign, 2 - list my bio materials, 3 - get the ones I can from school, 4 - make spreadsheet etc
*do just the easy stuff in frees eg.
- look at what yr assignments are asking esp. what research you have to do.
- list your points for an essay or plan a story, don't try to actually write it
- print out / cut and paste notes / photocopy
- easy maths q's
- short answer questions
*work out when you work best. I work best in the morning so I give myself some hard stuff to do then. I leave the really easy photocopy stuff for Friday arvo frees
*look at what assigns are coming up. Force yourself to sit down and evaluate yr progress on the closest and write just a paragraph or so. Sometimes you get enthusiastic and keep going.
*ask your teachers about frees (especially the organised ones). Remember that they have them, too, and have to work in a staff-room with lots of other people (often their friends) and they have homework and other stuff to do after school so they have to manage their time well - they often have good ideas.

Last edited:

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm i think im gunna try the ipod method with maths... but thing is were not allowed mp3's in the library... hahaa... and im also restricted to the library, but everyone with frees is there..
What? o__o Well, I guess if they don't check you might be able to get away with it, but if it gets lost or stolen you're screwed. I don't know, maybe find a part of the library with less people in it, or make a 'do not disturb' sign? Haha. Or sit just outside the library if you're allowed to?

teachers at my school actually discouraged us calling free periods "free periods". we're supposed to call them study periods.:uhoh:
Yeah, our vice-principal gave our grade a lecture on how she'd prefer us to be sleeping in our frees than talking to each other. It was weird o___o She also said she'd be checking randomly to make sure we were working, but I don't think she ever did =\

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
1st period, sleep him or come in early if i have something to do
2nd, bludged, went to the shops into break
3rd, bludged, went out even longer as lunch is next.
last period, im already outta there.

wendybird

HSC
My tip is to just do Maths during the frees/studies. That seems to be the only subject that I could concentrate on (probably because I could stick in headphones and do one question at a time).

Anything that involves reading/essay writing - totally impossible (for me) to do around other ppl.

That, and finding yourself a seminar room (and lonerating yourself in it). That was VERY effective for when I had to really concentrate.

dan2452

HSC
Our school doesn't care about these lol. They don't care if you drive to the beach or eat some maccas :rolleyes:

But, I'll be going for the maths in free period approach.

domoku

HSC
haha i was exactly like you :haha:

when i needed to work, i found that isolating myself from my friends would let me concentrate.. so i would sit in a different part of the library. if i happened to waste my time during a free period and dont finish doing what i planned, i made sure i caught up at home. imo, its ok to slack off during a free here and there, long as you get everything finished on time :)

also, i left the more complicated work to do at home (e.g. essays, harder math questions, etc) so i wouldnt waste my time in a free due to noise/friends/random distractions. perhaps doing simple homework or typing up study notes could be stuff you could do during your frees

philphie

Banned
HSC
at my school we had to spend our free periods in the library. if i was really bored and din't feel like doing anything. i'll get a cubicle somewhere in the corner and start wanking hsc stress away.

diana_a

HSC
I spent my 'study' periods answering and writing notes on dot points/focus points from the syllabus - particularly Chemistry, Biology and Economics. Each study period I'd continue writing notes for one of those subjects, along with completing questions that are relevant to the dot points. I'd continue with the notes at home and in study periods at school.

After I finished my notes for one subject module (e.g Chemistry - Module One - Production of Materials), I'd get those notes bound so they look like a book (I'm a perfectionist, I need everything to be neat, tidy and organised - it's annoying), and read over the notes/test myself twice a week (I had specific days where I'd study a specific subject). I did this for every module for every subject and it helped me remember everything for exams.

It actually helped alot and I felt that I was using my time wisely :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)