Working part time whilst studying (1 Viewer)

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!

It's been quite a while since I lasted posted anything on bos... so, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who are working whilst studying at macquarie or any other university. What and where are you working at? How did you manage your study timetable? I'm about to start this year and I would love to hear any tips or place where I can find employment.

Thanks

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm at MQ Uni and I work full time. I might be transferring to UTS - but I'm leaning towards staying.

Have you done up a resume? If not, start there. If you need someone to look at it briefly, I can.

Google will be a good friend of yours. There are so many job websites - I can't think of many off the top of my head but the place to start is SEEK. Just have in mind the sort of role you want (or want to work towards) and search with an open mind. Using key words of the sort of title/job will help.

I'm probably not the best example because I don't have a set time to study, I sort of slot it in when I have time (sometimes not enough, haha). I base my timetable off of my work - so basically my timetable is looking to be all classes after 4-5pm.

I'm starting a little study planner timetable that just high lights all the available times I have to study, I guess I'm going to go from there. The bare minimum is your tutorial work, which is what I do when I'm strapped for time. I also look for pre-made notes from StudentVIP - and sort of add to them a week or two before the exam so I can revise/cram.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm at MQ Uni and I work full time. I might be transferring to UTS - but I'm leaning towards staying.

Have you done up a resume? If not, start there. If you need someone to look at it briefly, I can.

Google will be a good friend of yours. There are so many job websites - I can't think of many off the top of my head but the place to start is SEEK. Just have in mind the sort of role you want (or want to work towards) and search with an open mind. Using key words of the sort of title/job will help.

I'm probably not the best example because I don't have a set time to study, I sort of slot it in when I have time (sometimes not enough, haha). I base my timetable off of my work - so basically my timetable is looking to be all classes after 4-5pm.

I'm starting a little study planner timetable that just high lights all the available times I have to study, I guess I'm going to go from there. The bare minimum is your tutorial work, which is what I do when I'm strapped for time. I also look for pre-made notes from StudentVIP - and sort of add to them a week or two before the exam so I can revise/cram.
Is it more likely that you'd get responses of interest if you physically sent your resume and cover letter to places or online?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Is it more likely that you'd get responses of interest if you physically sent your resume and cover letter to places or online?
It depends.

I'm used to accounting firms which I know prefer resumes and cover letter sent online - just because of the screening process usually just involves someone quickly browsing your resume to see if you're what they're looking for

Unless a firm specifies that they want your resume hand delivered, you can't go wrong emailing it/ providing it through their online portal etc.

Oh and don't bother mailing haha - the job will be gone before it gets to the place.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm also working and studying!

I work in an accounting firm 3 days a week, and my other two days are at uni. My job is quite flexible in terms of fitting around uni as long as I fit it into 2 days and work the other three!

In terms of finding a job, I use sites like seek and search for termns like undergraduate or student. If your doing a professional degree like accounting or law, there are plenty if Full time jobs about, but you'll be in a more restricted position like InsolvencyReaper in terms of scheduling. Macquarie has been great to me in terms if flexibility. Most units gave a great variety of times, and most lectures are recorded too.

If your not necessarily looking for a professional job, retail is a great option. Every flexible for students. Most stores have a sign out the front advertising, and the big retailers recruit online on their websites.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Thanks alot guys for the tips. I've already created a resume and everything. I'm just looking for a professional job which will get me into the accounting field a little early, thanks again guys.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Thanks alot guys for the tips. I've already created a resume and everything. I'm just looking for a professional job which will get me into the accounting field a little early, thanks again guys.
There a couple of entry-level accounting jobs that I have seen posted this week on SEEK. These two popped up, might as well share:

1. Casual Junior Account Assistant – 2 days a week (min) – flexible based on uni schedule around uni schedule and exams
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/30315218?ref=recom&cid=dash:short:job

2. Junior Accountant – Flexible hours / no experience required
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/30275200?ref=recom&cid=dash:short:job

3. 1st/2nd Year Cadet/Undergraduate Accountant
http://www.seek.com.au/job/30351881...=180150160709336519&tier=no_tier&whereid=1000

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)