workload - how heavy is the workload? (1 Viewer)

DC10

how heavy is the work load ? just need some advice :(

i am doing gwen harwood, kinglear, emma/clueless and 50th gate :(
seems like a bad mix :(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
*winces*
On the bright side you have notes you can go on with here too. Did Lear and Harwood [they're not really that much], friends bitched about the emma/clueless...

Never heard of 50th gate.

You can recycle the Harwood notes if you can understand what BoS is getting you to 'learn'..

Okay, a dose of realism suggests that you'll be fine. From what I'm getting at least you're not getting Donne... and you'll have to work a bit for the productions/interpretations of Lear...

English Adv. is likely to be your most difficult subject anyway...

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
the workload is not that heavy
it's a matter of knowing what they're looking for
understand the focus on techniques and the HOW part of questions
lear can be a bit of a struggle, harwood is ok after awhile
do practice essays and you should be fine

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by DC10
how heavy is the work load ? just need some advice :(

i am doing gwen harwood, kinglear, emma/clueless and 50th gate :(
seems like a bad mix :(
I had Hamlet/RAGAD, Donne, and 1984. I don't think it gets much heavier than that as

1) Hamlet/RAGAD takes a long time to do as Hamlet is very long and complex

2)Donne's poetry is quite subtle with many obscure Christian allusions to decipher, and there are quite a few poems.

3) Critical study of texts is slightly more difficult for Donne as you really do have to know the critics, as opposed to Lear where you can make reference to schools of thought and how they would influence your own hypothetical production.

OTOH Hamlet/RAGAD is really easy to revise for (but not to learn) as transformations is a very prescriptive topic, and 1984 is enjoyable.

I think you should be fine so long as you make notes diligently in class and review your stuff every weekend. Know your stuff very well and exams will suddenly seem very easy.

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by DC10
lol cos i started reading emma and i got fully bored after the first 3 pages (1st time that even happened to me LOL ):rolleyes:
OK, my friend (probably the one BJ is talking about) only read every fourth chapter of Emma and still sat the HSC and he is a 3U English student, and pretty smart ...)

Last edited:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I did exactly the same as you DC10, except I did Frontline. I enjoyed my texts; my favourites were Emma and Lear. I won't mention what I thought of Clueless or the actual course though. :)

Workload depends on whether or not you're diligent. People got away with writing no essays this year, but they didn't do very well. A girl last year who topped our school and did really well wrote 32 essays for Advanced English. This is a lot, but there are people who can do it!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Look, even if you can only write half a practice essay before you start screaming in fustration, it's still useful to start some. You'll get the template introductions down pat. :p

Not that much.

TombRaider_Fan

I am doing Gwen Harwoord- Changing Self Emma/Clueless, Speeches and Julius Caesar and i think i am gonna fail. Ur lucky ur not doing Julius Caesar- Shakespeare jst never stopped writing did he?

Well anyways, good luck jst in case you might need it!!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if you study consistantly (that is not last minute cramming) ... the workload is almost non-existent ... most importantly get a copy of the syllabus and read through it meticulously ...
... and if your stuck just write your ideas out ... even if theyre incoherent at first ... after that sort the ideas out and get quotes ... and write ... the more you write the easier to get ...
... of course you can leave it to the last minute ... and trust me ... the workload will be hell ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
I dont think the workload is that much, Harwood, is well...just easy as. King Lear isnt that hard if you put a bit of effort into it, Emma and Clueless is pretty easy, and I dont know about your last text.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I think the hardest you have is Lear.. he's a bit of a git.

*ahem*

People struggled with Emma, but perhaps watch the (BBC?) tv adaptation and get the general idea.. then try to read it.

DC10

no offense.. i read the first few pages of Emma and got a headahce...

isn't Emma better suited for a 'female' audience? LOL :rolleyes:
i doubt i can understand it :eek: - o well got the whole holiday to do it i guess :)

HSC
i have to agree with you... the first time i read emma, it bored the crap out of me, and it seriously took me the whole 6 weeks in teh summer holidays to read it. the problem is to do well in mod a, you have to read emma at least twice, coz markers are looking for a good knowledge of emma.

anyway, in regards to the workload for english, i have to say that around 50% of my time would have been devoted to english, and of that, around 60% of my time to king lear. for those ppl that dont do king lear, i suspect the workload would be lower. i reckon that the more time you spend thinking and practicing stuff for english, the better you'll do.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Well, since Emma is half of the comparative texts module, you may not have to read all of it. I'm not endorsing NOT reading it, but I'm saying.. if you don't like it, then find out what it is you'll have to know for it and work on that.

For example, character comparisons between Emma/Clueless, context comparisons, things changed, things kept the same, whatever else you have to do (I didn't do the two, I don't have a clue...)

It doesn't make it less work, it just means you don't have to read Emma quite as much :p

And to whoever said Emma was more of a 'female' novel: in a grade of about 120 english advanced students, there was a max of 40 doing Emma/Clueless. Most people wanted to do Blade Runner/Brave New World. On the other hand, there were quite a few Sydney Tech (all boys) classes of Emma, or so I heard ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)