Workplace Revisited (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
What the hell happened to my 'workplace' thread before... here's a rejuvination...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
is there anyone else who does workplace... i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall (excluding = Jennifer =)

bEAbEA

HSC
yeah i do it - and i really don't like it - all it is, is yr 9 and 10 commerce revisited. I didn't choose business studies, so why should i have to learn all about workplace???

We havn't really done much of it - so its hard for me to judge it straight away, where are you up to?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
i've done till 'discrimination in the workplace' - just basic discrimination stuff that you should already know...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
mmh will post my legal LCMD list again for this topic soon. We finish the topic next friday.. then law and justice, human rights yay!

natilee

Hey, Huratio, it's nat. Have you read up the topics of Human rights and law and justice or are you just going through as we do it in class?
Oh, and, with those Documents, were we supposed to make notes on them or just read them?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
hey nat, answered the second question at school.
answer to first question: nup, i haven't read the human rights and law and justice topics, but I have been told that is interesting.. i will probably read it before the teacher goes through it in class :)

oh yeh.. BTW all you workplace ppl out there (if there is any): there is an updated version of my workplace LCMD list at:

www.legal.cjb.net

have fun... will post here when I complete it...

madison00

HSC
hey i do workplace to and i have an essay due soon on complaince and non compliance, i really don't no wat to write so if you have any ideas:
"compliance with the law is neccesary to achieve justice for all"
Evaluate this statement in relation to issues of compliance and non compliance in the work place
any ideas would be great

natilee

You need to talk about the duties of the employer and employees and how the legislation involved like OHS Act, Anti-Discim. Act ties into it. eg. Duty of care, duty to provide a safe workplace = OHS

= Jennifer =

HSC
madison00 said:
hey i do workplace to and i have an essay due soon on complaince and non compliance, i really don't no wat to write so if you have any ideas:
"compliance with the law is neccesary to achieve justice for all"
Evaluate this statement in relation to issues of compliance and non compliance in the work place
any ideas would be great
1. look at your syllabus :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
1. look at your syllabus :)
err.. the syllabus says: 'commitment to the law - the issue of compliance and non-compliance' that is all...

madison00: adding on natilee's post:
Compliance can be related to anything. Commitment (topic area) is defined to as pledging or undertaking i.e. the government introduces changes to legilsation due to for example, changes in moral values.
Issue of compliance and non-compliance is normally on the employer's duties- i.e. if an employer decides not to pay compulsory superannuation (btw its currently at 9%+ of employee's pay) it is the government's onus to increase tougher penalties for non-compliance.
It can be related to anything in the syllabus- i.e. employee bargaining powers, anti-discrimination within the workplace (reminding me that I should be doing that essay I needed to do), and like natilee said: occupational health and safety policies within the workplace.
Achieving justice would be what the employee think's is what they believe is justice. Is the penalties enough for justice? Has the government done enough?
Remember to use LCMD, i.e. Legislation- Anti-Discrimination Acts, OH+S Acts, Superannuation Guarantee Acts (to name a few). Cases- any cases relevant to what I mentioned above etc.
btw it is an 'evaluation' question... use PAREE (individual) and ROBRR (societies) criteria.

any more questions... just post here:...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
anti-discrimination legislation

this is a bunch of anti-discrimination legislation i found from the austlii site:
(i found this while i was researching for my essay)

New South Wales:

Anti-Discrimination Act 1977

Disability Services Act 1993

Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998

Commonwealth of Australia:

Age Discrimination Act 2004

Disability Discrimination Act 1992

Equal Employment Opportunity (Commonwealth Authorities) Act 1987

Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999

Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986

Human Rights (Sexual Conduct) Act 1994

Privacy Act 1988

Racial Discrimination Act 1975

Racial Hatred Act 1995

Sex Discrimination Act 1984

madison00

HSC
whoa thanx heaps.. i had looked at my syllabus n yeah it was exactly helpful, so than for everything you've written :) i really appreciate it...
just one more thing should i relate the effectiveness of the law to both society and the individual?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Both would be good.. but if you are in a time limit (i.e. in the HSC) I think you would emphasise it more on the effectiveness for the individual (PAREE).

btw have a look at the textbooks, it might give you more ideas if your still stuck:
Macquarie: Pages 187-188
Heinemann: Pages 387-389
Sorry I don't use excel, you'll have to look it up yourself if you have it.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Huratio said:
this is a bunch of anti-discrimination legislation i found from the austlii site:
(i found this while i was researching for my essay)

New South Wales:

Anti-Discrimination Act 1977

Disability Services Act 1993

Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998

Commonwealth of Australia:

Age Discrimination Act 2004

Disability Discrimination Act 1992

Equal Employment Opportunity (Commonwealth Authorities) Act 1987

Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999

Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986

Human Rights (Sexual Conduct) Act 1994

Privacy Act 1988

Racial Discrimination Act 1975

Racial Hatred Act 1995

Sex Discrimination Act 1984
The really vital ones are the Sex Discrimination Act 1987/Racial Discrimination Act 1975 Cth and the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 NSW.

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/legal/fed_discrimination_law_05/

Don't forget equal pay for equal work of equal value.

I don't go about it that way, the focus is broken up into three bits (as is every section of the course):
+ key legal features and concepts of the legal system
+ legal issues and remedies
+ effectiveness of legal system, changing morals and ethics

and basically I shape my revision around those three points. Regurgitation of cases and legislation is probably not as effective, if you shove the legislation and cases under the appropriate headings it's easier on the memory.

Edit: I'm sorry, it's actually the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 - just read over my notes just then! it's just I seem to recall it being implemented the same year as my birth...hmmm I obviously have an elevated opinion of self worth :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)