Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Internship/Graduate Applications (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

I will be hosting an interactive workshop aimed at helping students get through the highly competitive recruitment processes when they apply for cadetships, internships, vacation programs and/or graduate programs. This will be the first time such a workshop will be run.

From personal experience, I often find that students with decent credentials experience setbacks in applying for these positions because of the way their application is presented. Thus, this workshop will focus on ways to best communicate your application for a given set of credentials.

The topics covered will include:
• Cover Letters
• Resumes
• Online Application Responses
• Psychometric Testing
• Assessment Centres
• Interviews

What makes this workshop different to careers seminars run at universities is that:

• Material is written primarily from the perspective of former applicants (including myself) who have been through the competitive recruitment process themselves (several times) and have a broader view of recruitment processes and standards across multiple organisations rather than one or a select few. We can also provide our own personal experiences of what it feels like for an applicant to go through the recruitment process, what mistakes we have learnt from that you should look out for. That being said, there will also be some useful input from people who have experience in running these types of competitive recruitment process themselves including our fellow moderators enoilgam and seremify007.

• Tips and examples provided will be very specific compared to the broader advice provided in careers seminars about what makes a high quality applicant. For example, rather than the advice being broadly ‘tailor your application to the company’, there will be information on specific ways you can tailor your application according to the role and the organisation with worked examples.

Time and Location
Darug Room
Parramatta Library
Saturday 21st of March 2015
9.30am - 3.30pm
(with breaks in between)

Target audience
Any university or high school student who is intending to apply for cadetships, internships and/or graduate programs and want to make that step up from from having a mediocre quality application to a high quality application.

Assumed knowledge
Basic knowledge of interviews, resume and cover letter writing

Cost
Free

What to bring
- Pen
- Paper/Notebook
- Food + Water (unless you want to buy some at a nearby store)

How to register
Please forward me a PM to state your interest in attending and how many people you are bringing with you here. Please note that due to the interactive nature of the workshop there will be a maximum of 30 people allowed to attend on a first come first served basis. Subsequent expressions of interest will be placed on a reserve list.

I look forward to seeing you there! :)

Cheers,
Trebla

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thank you to all that have registered so far. :)

Any new registrations will be placed on the reserve list. Depending on the numbers in this reserve list, we may consider running a second session.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

Only 2 weeks to go! :)

For the benefit of those currently on the reserve list, if you are no longer able to attend for whatever reason please let me know by Sunday 15th of March at the latest.

Thanks,
Trebla

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

Only 2 weeks to go! :)

For the benefit of those currently on the reserve list, if you are no longer able to attend for whatever reason please let me know by Sunday 15th of March at the latest.

Thanks,
Trebla
Just a reminder about this. There are people currently on the reserve list. If you cannot make it this Saturday, please let me know ASAP!

Fiction

HSC
Only found out this now, a bit bummed but - would you be considering running a second workshop please?~ :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Only found out this now, a bit bummed but - would you be considering running a second workshop please?~ :)
You are welcome to send me a PM to formally register your interest and will be placed on the reserve list. We have had a couple of people initially on the reserve list transferred into the main registration so there may be a chance you can attend the workshop on the original date.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to all those who have expressed interest. For those in the main attending list, can you please confirm your attendance to me by 5pm on Thursday if you haven't done so already? In particular, if you will not be able to attend for whatever reason please let me know ASAP so I can allocate the vacancy for someone on the reserve list.

Also, a few people have asked me what to bring. I've updated that on the original post.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Some new spots have recently opened up in the last minute. If you are interested in attending please let me know as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
We prob will go somewhere afterwards and maybe dinner

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I'd be down to go somewhere and grab dinner afterwards.

Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow :)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hope the event went well guys. There was some really good quality content in there and was based on very real experiences in the recruitment and scholarship process. At the end of the day, whether it's scholarship, internship, cadetship, graduate... unless you're applying for a skills based role (i.e. lateral recruitment) then more likely than not your likelihood of success is driven based on potential in which case the way you are assessed isn't going to significantly change because of the grade you're applying for.

enoilgam

HSC
I thought it was a really great event - a huge thanks to Trebla for all his effort in organising it.

There is just one point I want to reiterate which I kind of didn't do a good job of explaining at the event. You should always remember to retain your self-respect and dignity as an applicant. Many candidates have the mentality that graduate jobs are so rare and you they would be lucky to get even an offer. Whilst that is true to an extent, the graduate process is about you as well. You are selecting a business just as much as a business is selecting you. If you think an organisation is taking advantage of you or mistreating you, that should be a sign to you that maybe it isn't a great place to work. As someone who has been on the receiving end of some pretty poor treatment from recruiters and organisations, it's something that is very telling about an organisation's culture. Just because you are a graduate and hold little bargaining power, that doesn't mean you should have to accept poor treatment from a business.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought it was a really great event - a huge thanks to Trebla for all his effort in organising it.

There is just one point I want to reiterate which I kind of didn't do a good job of explaining at the event. You should always remember to retain your self-respect and dignity as an applicant. Many candidates have the mentality that graduate jobs are so rare and you they would be lucky to get even an offer. Whilst that is true to an extent, the graduate process is about you as well. You are selecting a business just as much as a business is selecting you. If you think an organisation is taking advantage of you or mistreating you, that should be a sign to you that maybe it isn't a great place to work. As someone who has been on the receiving end of some pretty poor treatment from recruiters and organisations, it's something that is very telling about an organisation's culture. Just because you are a graduate and hold little bargaining power, that doesn't mean you should have to accept poor treatment from a business.
Agreed. Recruitment for a graduate program is a two way street. It's as much about them finding good candidates and employees as it is about you finding an organisation which you connect with and feel genuinely supported in to further your career and development.

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC

"Bending over"

Thanks for the great workshop trebla! And also thanks enoil, ozko and seremify

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Big thanks to Trebla for organizing such a helpful workshop and also to Ozko (IT WAS NICE FINALLY MEETING YOU IRL!), enoilgam and seremify :)

Defs learnt a lot from today and particularly enjoyed the mock AC! Looking forward for more of these to come! :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha you guys realise I wasn't there right? Sounds like the session went well and big credit to Trebla and the team for pulling this together.

Last edited by a moderator:

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha you guys realise I wasn't there right? Sounds like the session went well and big credit to Trebla and the team for pulling this together.
You were there in spirit lol

But apparently you helped put alot of stuff into it so :hug2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to all those that attended today. Was a pleasure to meet you all and hope you learnt a lot of useful information from the workshop! :)

If you have any ideas for these types of events you would like us to have in the future, please let me know and we will consider them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)