World of Warcraft ......whats ur game???? (1 Viewer)

ToastyGoodness

HSC
Just wondering what people think of the impact of video games have on our society. Particularly World of Warcraft causing great damage to the worlds youth.

so yeah what do u all have to say :confused:

totalnoob

HSC
I think video games are warping peoples minds and stuff... the last thing teenagers and pre-pubescant kids need is an introduction to the world of violence and abstraction. I mean, german students on killing sprees, video games are being taken a bit too seriously these days

Btw you might say wow is just a game but I swear I saw a murloc walk past me on the street, and we shared a discussion about games ruining the brilliant young minds of today

HSC
in my opinion its turning kids into faggots. cant go anywhere these days without seeing faggot nerd kids being retards. fucking little useless faggots never even worked a hard day in their life. i'll be cold in my grave before any of you little fucks are recognised as men.

confusedhippie

HSC
Oh well I believe video games have a very positive impact on today's society. When else could you attain sexual gratification without the constraints of a woman? (no not you World of Warcraft - im talking big-time virtual reality).

Totalnoob, your name describes your nature - you are just a total noob. And no you did not converse with a murloc!

Squiresshane... damn dude haven't you seen Anger Management? You need to take a chill pill or better yet some cyanide.

08er

HSC
Btw you might say wow is just a game but I swear I saw a murloc walk past me on the street, and we shared a discussion about games ruining the brilliant young minds of today
ironic, isnt it

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
but I swear I saw a murloc walk past me on the street

OMG ?!?! x3 murlocs warglewargle

Anyway, isn't it the same as having any other hobby? Isn't it discrimination otherwise? Besides, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't play video games AT ALL at some point.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just wondering what people think of the impact of video games have on our society. Particularly World of Warcraft causing great damage to the worlds youth.

so yeah what do u all have to say :confused:
I think you're an idiot if you believe that shit, video games are going through the same moral panics and utopian ideologies that every other medium has gone through, move along.

confusedhippie

HSC
I think you're an idiot if you believe that shit, video games are going through the same moral panics and utopian ideologies that every other medium has gone through, move along.
He never stated that what he mentioned was his belief, he merely said he was "wondering", implying that the "great damage to today's youths" was the common contention.

HSC
Video games are like any other form of entertainment - if done to exess it is bad, but if in moderation it's just a bit of fun.

-sarcasm- yeah, why don't we ban video games, and while we're at it how about movies, TV, books, plays, sports, this forum and every other form of entertainment which is distracting from work and school, after all who could possibly want to be distracted from that. -/sarcasm-

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
He never stated that what he mentioned was his belief, he merely said he was "wondering", implying that the "great damage to today's youths" was the common contention.
Nor did I attribute it to him, I said that if you believed it, then I think you're an idiot. Also, stop trying to sound like some sort of pretentious monkey.

Common contention vs media coverage is actually quite out of step, according to the two most recent surveys on video games in Australia, more than 50% of households had a video game console or video game capable device and games, the age of the average game was late 20s/early 30s, and that female gamers now accounted for about ~40% of the gamer demographic.

Moral panics however give rise to video games being made scapegoats, they're the newest kid on the block so it's easy to attribute blame to them, particularly due to the apparent 'interactivity' of video games and their 'realism'. How this 'interaction' actually translates to behavioral changes and effects is still being hotly debated with both sides offering arguments and counter arguments.

If you'd like to know more, I suggest reading Grand Theft Childhood (Kutner & Olson 2008), Pew Internet & American Life Project and IEAA - The Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia

confusedhippie

HSC
Use of semantics to settle an argument. Epic fail. Almost -ve repped you but you are a noob so I will let it slide. Asylum is spot on.
I was actually just trying to point out that he called me pretentious, and then went on to "disprove" me by presenting a large amount of information which would have required many times the work of my original post.

Though I appreciate AsyLum's information (which I found to be an interesting read), I don't think there was a need to call me "some sort of a pretentious monkey".

On a side note, there never was an argument:
1. I was reiterating the fact that I was amazed that the average game was that old.
2. I was reiterating the fact that I'm a confused hippie, not a pretentious monkey.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I was actually just trying to point out that he called me pretentious, and then went on to "disprove" me by presenting a large amount of information which would have required many times the work of my original post.

Though I appreciate AsyLum's information (which I found to be an interesting read), I don't think there was a need to call me "some sort of a pretentious monkey".

On a side note, there never was an argument:
1. I was reiterating the fact that I was amazed that the average game was that old.
2. I was reiterating the fact that I'm a confused hippie, not a pretentious monkey.
You'd be right, seeing as I did an honours thesis on video game culture, I happen to know quite a bit about the topic. This makes me knowledgeable on the topic, not pretentious.

confusedhippie

HSC
You'd be right, seeing as I did an honours thesis on video game culture, I happen to know quite a bit about the topic. This makes me knowledgeable on the topic, not pretentious.
pre⋅ten⋅tious   [pri-ten-shuhs]
–adjective
1. full of pretense or pretension.
2. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

According to the dictionary, you're still pretentious.

Having knowledge of a subject does not necessarily clear one's pretentiousness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)