World Order 'State Sovereignty' Question HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Jazilue

HSC
I have a question from the world order syllabus, but I'm not entirely sure how to answer it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D
"examine the role of sovereignty in assisting and impeding the resolution of world order issues"

enoilgam

HSC
I have a question from the world order syllabus, but I'm not entirely sure how to answer it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D
"examine the role of sovereignty in assisting and impeding the resolution of world order issues"
Do you understand the concept of sovereignty?

Jazilue

HSC
Yes I do, I'm just having trouble finding enough examples to answer the question.

elloelloelle

HSC
Uni Grad
With state sovereignty you're basically just focusing on the challenge of 'issues of compliance and non-compliance', 'encouraging cooperation' and 'changing values and ethical standards' pertinent to the World Order option...
Some good case studies:
- egypt
- libya
- syria

Arab Spring is great because you can draw out the issues of compliance and changing values and ethical standards (democracy) :)

ali2536

HSC
There are a range of examples you could discuss about the important of sovereignty in achieving WO as well as how it acts as a barrier. For instance, sovereignty allows nations to sign and ratify treaties such as NPT or R2P (make sure you relate to the contemporary issues). Conversely you could talk about sovereignty limits nations such as the ineffectiveness of the UN. Because nations have the power to make laws within their own country as well as choose whether to abide by international obligations, its difficult for international bodies such as the UN or the ICC to be successful. A good example would be North Korea or the recent crises in Syria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)