• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

World XI vs Australia (ICC Super Series) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Anyone got tickets?

I haven't got mine yet, but I'll be looking to the Friday, probably Bay28/29.

Anyway, the squads got named today.

No real surprises;

Test World XI
G Smith (Saf) (C)
V Sehwag (Ind)
R Dravid (Ind) (vc)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf)
M Boucher (Saf)
S Harmison (Eng)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

The two players I'd drop in the test squad would be Akhtar and Vettori, they're too shit.

One Day World XI
V Sehwag (Ind)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
H Gibbs (Saf)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
K Pietersen (Eng)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf) (C)
K Sangakkara (Srl)
Shahid Afridi (Pak)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Ntini (Saf)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

In the ODI squad I'd drop/rotate Vettori, Pietersen, Gibbs.

Shocks me how Dravid didn't make the ODI squad, and how Ntini didn't make the test squad (and how Vettori made both).

Smith and Pollock. I love Pollock. I idolise Pollock as much as possible without being gay. Smith and Pollock. They led South Africa. Now they lead the world.

rama_v

HSC
Bookie said:
Anyone got tickets?

No real surprises;

Test World XI
G Smith (Saf) (C)
V Sehwag (Ind)
R Dravid (Ind) (vc)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf)
M Boucher (Saf)
S Harmison (Eng)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

The two players I'd drop in the test squad would be Akhtar and Vettori, they're too shit.

One Day World XI
V Sehwag (Ind)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
H Gibbs (Saf)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
K Pietersen (Eng)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf) (C)
K Sangakkara (Srl)
Shahid Afridi (Pak)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Ntini (Saf)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

Shocks me how Dravid didn't make the ODI squad, and how Ntini didn't make the test squad (and how Vettori made both).

Smith and Pollock. I love Pollock. I idolise Pollock as much as possible without being gay. Smith and Pollock. They led South Africa. Now they lead the world.
Whens the game, I need to get tickets...Hopefully its not during one of my exams lol.

Also like you I dunno why Dravid wasnt picked for the ODI. It looks a competitive side though Ntini is not that great (recently anyway I feel), maybe they should have included Harmison or Jones, or Chaminda Vaas

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Any reason why you wouldnt pick Vettori? Considering his versatility as a batter/bowler these last two years. Not being biased but I cant think of anyone better to be backup.

johnny_87

HSC
Bookie said:
Anyone got tickets?

No real surprises;

Test World XI
G Smith (Saf) (C)
V Sehwag (Ind)
R Dravid (Ind) (vc)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf)
M Boucher (Saf)
S Harmison (Eng)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

One Day World XI
V Sehwag (Ind)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
H Gibbs (Saf)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
K Pietersen (Eng)
A Flintoff (Eng)
S Pollock (Saf) (C)
K Sangakkara (Srl)
Shahid Afridi (Pak)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak)
M Ntini (Saf)
M Muralitharan (Srl)
D Vettori (NZ)

Dravid is nto the best in ODIs. His strike rate is easily below 70 (about 65 IIRC). Compared to high 70s and low 80s for batsmen such as Tendulkar, Sehwag, Lara, Kallis and Pietersen (possibly 90s?), it is rather poor.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
All the better, lets hope they do.

copious said:
Any reason why you wouldnt pick Vettori? Considering his versatility as a batter/bowler these last two years. Not being biased but I cant think of anyone better to be backup
Considering the other guys there, they can all bat pretty much better than Vettori, and considering Murali and Harmison would be much more valuable to the team...well, Vettoris shit. although one thing he has in his favour is success against Australia.

rama_v

HSC
johnny_87 said:
Dravid is nto the best in ODIs. His strike rate is easily below 70 (about 65 IIRC). Compared to high 70s and low 80s for batsmen such as Tendulkar, Sehwag, Lara, Kallis and Pietersen (possibly 90s?), it is rather poor.
Yeah, Im the first to bag Dravid out about his strikerate but the thing is recently he has picked it up, and hes been more consistent than evere. There are plenty of big hitters in the team, Dravid could be the solid rock around which the other guys bat..

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I've been bragging Dravids strike rate for a while as well. Until he became the only Indian to be able to bat in ODIs (and Yuvraj). now he's the one you look to (pick up your form Sourav!).

johnny_87

HSC
Err bagging :p

But I highly doubt they'll get bowled out or near it. They could play with:

V Sehwag (Ind)
S Tendulkar (Ind)
H Gibbs (Saf)
B Lara (Win)
J Kallis (Saf)
K Pietersen (Eng)
A Flintoff (Eng)
K Sangakkara (Srl)
S Pollock (Saf) (C)
Shoaib Akhtar (Pak) or M Ntini (Saf)
M Muralitharan (Srl)

there are still 5 frontline bowlers - Pollock, Akhtar/Ntini, Flintoff, Kallis and Murali.

otay

HSC
I would keep akhtar and vettori becuase they bowl really well against the aussies. Akhtar had us struggling a few times in the summer and vettori was the only kiwi who took any wickets, plus he can bat. I think Vaas should be in both teams somewhere. Ahead of harmison in tests coz harmison is unproven in Australia and in front of Ntini in the one dayers. Plus he can bat too. Those are two very very strong teams. That middle order or Dravid, Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis really blows your mind. Yeah I think Dravid for Gibbs would be good, although Gibbs' fileding could be handy in one-dayers

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
copious said:
Any reason why you wouldnt pick Vettori? Considering his versatility as a batter/bowler these last two years. Not being biased but I cant think of anyone better to be backup.
You have to have a token from NZ ie Vettori

Why isnt Jayasuriya not playing?!?! Because of his shoulder or because he has not been performing or both?

Sehwag should not be in the test squad (too risky its like having Gayle)

Pieterson! cmon, he is not 'world-class', there are plenty who rate above him. Vaas should be in there and so should Harmison.

Well there was always going to be controversy over the named team so doesnt matter, at least they picked a squad.

johnny_87

HSC
Well if you don't include Kallias as frontline, then you'd say that Australia only really have 3 frontline bowlers in ODIs - McGrath, Lee and Kasper (assuming Gillespie is dropped). Hogg is good, but isn't up to the standard of a Vettori let alone Warne.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
otay said:
Yeah I think Dravid for Gibbs would be good, although Gibbs' fileding could be handy in one-dayers
Dravid is a superb first-slipper and his batting is far superior to Gibbs'. He's got a good record in Oz too. No way should he be left out of the Test team.

My team:

Smith
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Pollock
Vaas
Harmison
Murali

Sachin mightn't be over his injury so I left him out of this one.

johnny_87

HSC
Hectic - We were referring to Dravid's (rightful) omission from the ODI squad.

The Test squad, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. Under-rated in Tests, he has the HIGHEST AVERAGE of any current batsman, his average being 58 the last I saw.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Bookie said:
Someone check AB de Villiers average, it'd be close to 58 as well. Plus he can keep and take wickets with his great bowling. and he's 21. Blood the future.
Fuck that is bloody impressive!

Why isnt Jayasuriya not in the team? it is seriously killing me, cause Tendulkar also has an injury and he is picked, must be also based on current form.

It's just that he is world class as opposed to Gibbs who is only to a lesser extent. But it is hard to pick a team.

ishq

brown?
HSC
LaCe said:
Fuck that is bloody impressive!

Why isnt Jayasuriya not in the team? it is seriously killing me, cause Tendulkar also has an injury and he is picked, must be also based on current form.

It's just that he is world class as opposed to Gibbs who is only to a lesser extent. But it is hard to pick a team.
Tendulkar was picked because he is Tendulkar.
It adds that extra something to the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)