WorldOrder - International Law (1 Viewer)

copperearth27

HSC
Hey
I've just been going through my past essays on world order and ive noticed that my comments are basically always, you need more/specific international law. I have written all my notes and have memorised etc but I realised after reading those comments come up in every essay ive written that I pretty much have no actual laws for world order. I mean I have articles, tribunals, cases and such but no laws.
Can anyone give me a rundown of what are the important ones that are likley to be needed in the Legal Issues and Remedies section of the syllabus?
Thankyou in advance.

copperearth27

HSC
I'm going to ignore the fact that several of the dates in that essay are wrong and simply comment on the fact that it uses about as many international lawas as I do.
Question - are treaties classified as international laws or not? I always thought they were simply treaties.

So far my list of Internation law includes
Montevideo convention on the rights and duties of states 1933
UN Charter
Convention on the rights of the child 1989

Are the twin covenants classified as international law?
Also are declerations classified as international law?

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
Yup, treaties, declarations, agreements , charters, statutes, conventions etc are all sources of international law!!!

THIS is also considered in the crime syllabus as "sources of international law".

Biggies:
Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948
United Nations Charter 1945
Treaty of Westphalia 1648
International Convention on Civil and Political Rights 1966
International Convention on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights 1966
Rome Statute 1998
Genocide Convention 1948
Convention on the rights of the Child 1989

There are heaps more.. but you're most likely to put thse to use in an essay i'd say

jakjak303

HSC
I need legal and non-legal mechanisms that have responded to the issue of nuclear weapons. help please ? it's got to do with world order

imnotwallace

HSC
Lucky for you, I just spent an entire weekend studying nuclear proliferation. (not my choice but my assignment)

The most legal form of responding to the issue is the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) ratified by I think, 189 nations internationally. The treaty aims to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and possibly the potential disarmament of nuclear weapons.

However, as you know - treaties are treaties. They are quite unenforceable. Take a look at Iran. They're trying to get nuclear technology and are accused of violating the NPT which they themselves have signed. So really, although a nation can make an obligation to uphold the NPT, the most the UN can do to sanction them is through economic or diplomatic sanctions. e.g. Barrng trade of military or other economic goods to Iran. Freezing the international assets of Iran officials.

Then there's people who just choose not to be a part of it like North Korea. They are non-signatories to the NPT and there's not much we can do about them with their nuclear weapons testing.

You can't just send in an army to enforce the NPT either, because that'd clash with a nation's sovereignty. If they did that, what's going to stop the UN in sending in an army into somewhere else 'for the purposes of preventive action'.

Research the US-Russia Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty. Its a fairly recent treaty that cuts down both of the sides down to 1550 nuclear weapons. They can still destroy the world 2 times over or something but its still a start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)