Worlds of Upheaval Related Text (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are several related texts that you may wish to consider for Worlds of Upheaval, some of which may be related to Frankenstein.

First, you could use 'Doctor Faustus' by Christopher Marlowe as related material. This is a play that explores the conflict between medieval and Renaissance ideologies in terms of whether God or humans should be prioritised. The play begins with a monologue from Faustus, rejecting the idea of God and the importance of science. Here, you should consider how Mary Shelley discusses the dangers of pursuing knowledge through the impacts of the monster on Victor Frankenstein.

Additionally, here are a number of texts of different types that you may also be able to use as related material:

Nonfiction:
  • "Why I Write" (1946) - This is an essay by George Orwell that covers his personal journey to becoming a writer.
Poetry:
  • “All the Dead Soldiers” (1967) - This is a poem by Thomas McGrath, that provides a perspective into the after-effects of war and the devastation that comes with death.
  • "The Raven" (1845) - This is a poem by Edgar Allan Poe which is centered around an unnamed narrator's journey into madness after realizing he will never forget his lost Lenore. Poe uses symbols such as a talking raven, a bust of Pallas, and the narrator's chamber to share the story while representing his narrator's struggle with grief.
Film:
  • "Empire of the Sun" - This is a film directed by Steven Spielberg. The film tells the story of Jamie "Jim" Graham, a young boy who goes from living in a wealthy British family in Shanghai, to becoming a prisoner of war in a Japanese internment camp during World War II.
I hope this helps! 😄

joonmoons

HSC
would 'the book thief' be an appropriate related text for worlds of upheaval?
my prescribed texts are waiting for godot, metropolis and frankenstein if that helps?

also! does anyone have notes for the poem 'wasted' by afaa michael weaver for worlds of upheaval?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)