Worried! Career (1 Viewer)

Bedi999

HSC
HEY guys! I'll be starting Engineering/Commerce at usyd this year! If you become disinterested in Engineering by the end of the degree (nearly completed) but want to seek employment within a solely business side of things, is it still possible to go into investment banking or something solely in Finance? Also I'll be looking to do MBA after completing the bachelor degree. Are my wishes still possible? Please help!

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Interesting degree choice (Space)!
Engineering will help your career prospects rather than limit it. So yes, you can get into IB (banks and many many finance/accounting firms sometimes hire pure engineering grads - because well, if you're at the top of your engo cohort at usyd - you are clearly smart).
I haven't heard of ANYONE doing an MBA straight after their degree in Australia. Now that would most probably limit your chances of getting grad positions ('overqualified' etc) + waste of money? People usually do the MBA later while working as far as I know.

Also, I don't think ANY degree qualifies you to get into a 'high managerial position' - you earn that while working.

Good luck!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
People do an MBA after years of working,and either use it as a step for their resume(or a fresh start from someone looking to go into the business side who has a non-commerce degree),or the firm wants the person to take on more of a management role in the future, and the MBA better qualifies them for it. It doesn't really look good at all to get an MBA without experience,plus they use many examples from the workplace,so experience helps understand some of the teaching. If you're wanting to do a degree after your bachelors, then it would be a master's degree. But i suggest you go into a grad program and get some work experience under your belt before attempting any degree after you finish your bachelors(because firms then tell you that you're overqualified with a master's if you apply for their normal grad programs,with no experience(same as rish said with the MBA).

Take note that if you start becoming disinterested in your engineering degree you'll also typically start to do worse in it which pulls your WAM down, and you'll need at least distinction-high distinction(depending on your other merits) to even get a interview at an IB firm, so don't let eng drag you down.

And what Rish said.^ good advice

UNSW WSC - Scotty

HSC
In terms of a post-grad qualification after you're bachelors, you'd be better off doing your CFA. You only need a degree to qualify for entry and a lot of IB's look for people working on it/achieved it. You can even put on your resume that you've done say 1st year CFA (goes for 3 years) and you'd be more employable on that basis.

Save MBA for a bit later.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As others mentioned, the MBA is really only useful later on in your career. Even at my level (8 years experience) it's not always recommended especially if you were planning to go to a proper institution to do it. It's not just what you learn but whoo you meet.

enoilgam

HSC
An MBA or a Masters in Business doesnt really do much in terms of employability unless you are looking for employment in certain industries (I have heard that it does help for economics). I was encouraged to pursue my Masters by my university, but to be honest, I pretty much saw it as a waste of money and time. I'd say having industry experience is far more valuable - I have a year of experience working in HR and I'd rate that as being 10 times more valuable than a Masters in terms of applying for full-time positions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)