Worst scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

emma5795

HSC
What subjects scale bad?
I'm picking my subjects and i can't choose out of bio, food tech or pdh. I love all of them but it's difficult i'm good at food tech but it scales terribly. I'm ok at bio and above average at pdh.

tambam

HSC
What subjects scale bad?
I'm picking my subjects and i can't choose out of bio, food tech or pdh. I love all of them but it's difficult i'm good at food tech but it scales terribly. I'm ok at bio and above average at pdh.
Seriously, what course are you aiming to get into at uni? If its not something that requires 98+, then STOP asking all these questions about scaling, because it will probably not even make a big difference to your mark.

Do what you like and are good at.
Otherwise, if yoou pick a subject for scaling you might end up hating it anyway or find it difficullt, which will mean you will get lower marks than you could have with a poor scaling subject that you are really good att

emma5795

HSC
I'm stressing out so I can't help asking questions. I'm doing what I like and i want to get into the nutrition course at sydney uni which requires an atar over 98. It also recommends studying both chemistry and physics - both of which i know are high scaling but am NOT doing. So yeah, i am doing what i'm good at and what I like.

funnytomato

HSC
I'm stressing out so I can't help asking questions. I'm doing what I like and i want to get into the nutrition course at sydney uni which requires an atar over 98. It also recommends studying both chemistry and physics - both of which i know are high scaling but am NOT doing. So yeah, i am doing what i'm good at and what I like.
don't stress out too much
there are bridging courses for chem and phys, if they're pre-requisites(i.e. compulsory) for your course.
visit the usyd website and you should find something there

and you won't actually miss out a lot even if you don't do the hsc chem and phys since only a proportion of the hsc subjects are relevant

and even if you don't make it in the first place, you can still transfer at uni

tambam

HSC
Ah okay, sorry, its just annoying when people ONLY pick courses purely based on scaling.
And I highly doubt that physics woulld be assumed knowledge for nutrition....In general, although its not essential to do the recommended studies, it is useful because you'll find there's often a lot of overlap with the actual uni course.

At the end of the day, iff you're willing to put in the hard work, you can get a good mark with any subjects, but I thinkk I saw in another thread you wanted to do general maths, but if you're decent at maths, definitely do at least normal mathematics.

x3Reii

HSC
Based purely on scaling, out of those three subjects biology would be the best. I can't say for pd or food tech but bio is really content based with a little bit of problem solving. However, i think the course is really good and some of the stuff you learn is pretty interesting. My friend did food tech, she saids its really fun. The only thing i can tell you about pd is that don't assume its going to be a bludge and you'll do prac every lesson because believe it or not, apparently, you write essays in pdhpe too.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Isn't PDHPE mostly theory and totally different to junior PE?

If I were you OP, I'd do bio. But I'm not you and good at food tech. But you say you believe you could do above average in pdhpe and it has better scaling than food tech and only somewhat under bio's scaling.

Matrob

HSC
Hey yeah so I stupidly chose IT VET not thinking about the scaling...

I'm not really sure how to make sense of that scaling report, but according to it the max mark was 49 (i'm presuming out of 50), and it says that this max mark was scaled to 42. Does this mean the max scaled mark was 84?
By scaled mark I mean the one for example that I could put into an atar calculator.
Does this mean 84 was the highest scaled mark for everyone in the state? and am I therefore screwed for getting an atar of 95?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey yeah so I stupidly chose IT VET not thinking about the scaling...

I'm not really sure how to make sense of that scaling report, but according to it the max mark was 49 (i'm presuming out of 50), and it says that this max mark was scaled to 42. Does this mean the max scaled mark was 84?
By scaled mark I mean the one for example that I could put into an atar calculator.
Does this mean 84 was the highest scaled mark for everyone in the state? and am I therefore screwed for getting an atar of 95?
84 was the highest scaled mark (rounded) for everyone in the state that year. It can change.

Are you screwed for getting 95? Depends on how well you do in it, if IT VET is counted and other factors as well.

Matrob

HSC
84 was the highest scaled mark (rounded) for everyone in the state that year. It can change.

Are you screwed for getting 95? Depends on how well you do in it, if IT VET is counted and other factors as well.
So if i'm playing around with the ATAR calculator, when it asks for "HSC mark" does that mean the scaled mark according to the uac scaling report or the raw mark?
I sincerely hope it means raw mark, because if so then all is well, if not I think it is almost impossible.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So if i'm playing around with the ATAR calculator, when it asks for "HSC mark" does that mean the scaled mark according to the uac scaling report or the raw mark?
I sincerely hope it means raw mark, because if so then all is well, if not I think it is almost impossible.
When it says HSC mark, it means actual HSC mark. That is, the average of raw HSC exam marks that are aligned to BOS Band Standards and your moderated school assessment mark.

Matrob

HSC
When it says HSC mark, it means actual HSC mark. That is, the average of raw HSC exam marks that are aligned to BOS Band Standards and your moderated school assessment mark.
Okay so seeing as IT vet is entirely dependant on the final hsc exam, my hsc mark should be my raw exam mark?
I got 93% in the cssa trial which seemed pretty difficult in comparison to past actual hsc exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)