• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Worth applying now? (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Yea. I haven't worked before, but I have done work experience so at least I have something up my sleeve. My main concern is that I haven't actually worked in retail before and because I'm already 17 (18 in Feb.) I'm not going to look as favourable as a 15 y.o. who can do the job but who is cheaper to hire....

Albeit, I reckon I can pick up stuff pretty quickly...operating a cash register and stuff + I don't think my customer service skills would be too bad :p
dont worry, i never worked till i was 19 yo. hence, you shouldnt be to worried, theres one place bound to hire you.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
- Messiah - said:
Have you tried Job Hunting for a day at Westfields Chatswood, or Hornsby? Just went the other day, and saw a couple of stores advertising vacancies.
Yep. I've been around Chatswood looking for vacancies, but most places either say "we've finished recruiting" or "no vacancies at the moment". Out of curiosity, which places were advertising vacancies? - I've tried quite a few without success.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
you never know, it might be worth your while to be applying, at my store there were issues with some of the xmas casuals and they needed to rehire 2 weeks before xmas. so you never know. its better to try then not to

klh

HSC
yes, better to try..ive been trying since my vacation started in november and ive been turned down, not contacted and so on....i was really depressed and was thinking alongthe lines of it must be them hscers [ie been applying at low end type jobs such as maccas and promotions etc.] so ill wait until after new years when there'll be mroe jobs available, but i tried again, got anotehr interview and they said they'd call me tomorrow [on the day of th einterview] and like at 5.30 on that day they called me saying your succesful and come in for training and bring in your photos and stuff for yor id....so just try it out!

te low end ones dotn recruit us oldies [im 19] i mean i was gonna goto my local kfc bu it said in small writing under the large sign saying recruiting, that they were accepting 14-15 yo so ya...something a bit more for uni students, like search on seek for anythign with the word student in it, theyll usually show up ads with words like great fo students or soemthign liek that...

good luck!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
klh said:
yes, better to try..ive been trying since my vacation started in november and ive been turned down, not contacted and so on....i was really depressed and was thinking alongthe lines of it must be them hscers [ie been applying at low end type jobs such as maccas and promotions etc.] so ill wait until after new years when there'll be mroe jobs available, but i tried again, got anotehr interview and they said they'd call me tomorrow [on the day of th einterview] and like at 5.30 on that day they called me saying your succesful and come in for training and bring in your photos and stuff for yor id....so just try it out!

te low end ones dotn recruit us oldies [im 19] i mean i was gonna goto my local kfc bu it said in small writing under the large sign saying recruiting, that they were accepting 14-15 yo so ya...something a bit more for uni students, like search on seek for anythign with the word student in it, theyll usually show up ads with words like great fo students or soemthign liek that...

good luck!
Have you worked before though? It's difficult to find a not so low-end job without previous experience, which kind of puts me in a vicious cycle coz I haven't been employed before (except for work experience and volunteer work).

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
the beginning of the new year is the most difficult time to find employment in most retail...
best time-september

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Rench, work at pizza hut call centre. Its low pay but its easy to get the job and its a start. PM me if you want to, as ill give you all the interview tips etc....

klh

HSC
nope, i have no paid work experience, so im very glad that they accepted me...
all im saying is that in these periods, ive seen that thre is alot of promotions.marketing jobs out there so i just encourage you to apply and yeah...

i can feel your pain...i was so depressed with those rejections because it seemed like they only took on those with experience and there doesnt seem a place who wants to take you on to give you that experience..

merry xmas and a happy new year and good louck in job hunting!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
the beginning of the new year is the most difficult time to find employment in most retail...
best time-september
Do you reckon that applies to food places as well?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
klh said:
nope, i have no paid work experience, so im very glad that they accepted me...
all im saying is that in these periods, ive seen that thre is alot of promotions.marketing jobs out there so i just encourage you to apply and yeah...

i can feel your pain...i was so depressed with those rejections because it seemed like they only took on those with experience and there doesnt seem a place who wants to take you on to give you that experience..

merry xmas and a happy new year and good louck in job hunting!
Thanks klh :)

Hopefully something will come up in the near future...I don't think I could wait until next September to apply again: that's too long without work :(

- Messiah -

HSC
N/A
Rench, if your desperate for a job, try submitting your resume to the Manager at Subway Royal North Shore Hospital. A good time for this would be before lunch, around 9 - 10AM when its not as busy as the lunchtime period. The store owner should also be in around that time, so you might be able to have a mini interview.

Just a warning though...its the 2nd busiest Subway on the North Shore. North Sydney comes first, no surprise there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)