Worth doing Honours in Accounting? (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Right now I can choose either to pursue honours in accounting or graduate accounting career with the government and do my CA.

Is honours worth doing over CA?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Opportunity cost. Honours is not that useful in accounting, and an industry qualification such as CA is worth much more. Unless of course you have found a cool topic you are interested in.

Monstar

HSC
Think about the ads you see in the papers. How many advertise for ca/cpa accreditation? .. now look for 5 who go out looking accounting honours... CA/CPA will lead you to bigger and better things.

The way i see it honours is only viable if; you have no job opportunities or you want to pursue academia in accounting (lulz).

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I've considered doing honours at UNSW simply to extend my uni studies and to allow me to have a second 'penultimate' internship and have the opportunity to tutor students

It's not like you won't work towards your CA the year after anyway..

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I've considered doing honours at UNSW simply to extend my uni studies and to allow me to have a second 'penultimate' internship and have the opportunity to tutor students

It's not like you won't work towards your CA the year after anyway..
This.

IMO if he actually LIKES accounting enough to consider honours, that is a good thing (not many ppl do). Its not like he is going to finish honours and go fuck it now I won't become chartered. Its only an extra year + it opens many more opportunities in regulatory institutions for example the AASB only takes honours grads etc.

Also, why not open up the opportunity to be a lecturer?

I'd say that having honours + CA separates him amongst his peers. Builds strong research skills, statistical knowledge, demonstrates commitment to a project...shit load of stuff to put on your resume and talk about in interviews. It is also a "fourth year" at the undergrad, bringing the commerce degree on par with Amercians (who always spend 4 yrs).

But if you need money now, just go do your CA- thats the real trade off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)