Worthwhile doing Adv Science/Law (1 Viewer)

Bec Johnston

HSC
I have intended to do advanced science (tailored to be an environmental science degree) for some time and was wondering if a combined degree in law would be beneficial when becoming an environmental scientist working in a company. Obviously the company would have to comply with environmental policies and herein lies the reason I was considering the combined degree.

However, would an entire law degree be useless? i.e. are there to many courses that would be irrelevant?

Thanks

Rebecca

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I won't be able to answer your question but I know a friend in 5th Year who was in a similar position to you. After doing a few years of law, he enjoyed it more than science and is now pursuing a law career.

So I don't think it will be an entirely useless degree as later on you might be like him and find that Law will be your career instead of science.

enoilgam

HSC
I have intended to do advanced science (tailored to be an environmental science degree) for some time and was wondering if a combined degree in law would be beneficial when becoming an environmental scientist working in a company. Obviously the company would have to comply with environmental policies and herein lies the reason I was considering the combined degree.

However, would an entire law degree be useless? i.e. are there to many courses that would be irrelevant?

Thanks

Rebecca
Depending on what you intend on doing with it, having a law degree can be very beneficial. However, I personally think that doing a law degree for the sake of having it isnt a good idea. I'm not saying that this is the case with you, but keep in mind that a law degree is very difficult and the workload is quite intense. Many people enter a combined law degree without fully thinking it through (i.e. they do it just because they have the ATAR or for the prestige alone).

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I know this is late but yes I agree with the above. I'm looking at doing science (advanced)/law because I want to get into the political side of it more than the science part. So if you're more interested in being an environmental scientist then I think the law degree is unnecessary. Like enoilgam said, don't do it because you can and the associated benefits of having it. Only do it if you're interested in the area and in making a career out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)