wot films resemble cinderella's journey in the fairy tale? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
I have to list as much films as i can that have a female character in it whose journey resembles that of cinderella's in the fairy tale. In particular i have to pay attention to the "beauty myth", like, the message it conveys about women having to be beautiful to succeed / beauty is a commodity etc etc, that paradigm.

Does anyone know of any more films that focuses on this so called "beauty myth", whether they promote or subvert it etc in the heroine's portrayal / journey? sorry if that doesnt sound very clear...

I have like 4 atm but thats not enuf i fear: Ever After, maid in manhattan, pretty woman, she's all that. i need a few more, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
possibly 10 things i hate about you?????? with the plot line with julia stiles, although it's based on shakespeare
grease?? the chick transforms in the end

yeah the 4 u have r good, and common cinderella stories

umm.. i'll come back if i think of anything

edit: when u say subvert, would that mean a walk to remember as she doesn't change, but the guy does

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
umm no i meant subvert as in undermine, challenge, impeach etc sorry for the confusion..
and thanks for ur suggestions ill take a look at them

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
Pretty Woman was based on a cinderella story line.

I haven't seen it, but Maid in Manhattan is more than likely based on Cinderella as well.

You could go literally - like Ever After.

But basically take any story about a socailly disadvantaged person that raises unto a position above those who persecute them.

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
ignore the last post...I read over your post properly now. Ummm..what about the sound of Music???

Beauty myth...well you could try Bootmen - i mean you have these male tapdancers who are labelled as gay because they dance.
I agree that Grease as well...i guess you could look at the ending at how Sandy had to change for John trav. to like her.
Looking for Alibrandi may help a little...its a mixture of racism from the school captain and Josie's on reservations about her nationality.
What about that one with Whoppi Golberg in which she is a maid/nanny who falls in love with her boss. Sorry but I don't know the name but it is filled with racial prejudice.
Shrek may also be good. Although it is a kids movie it has numerous adult themes and plays on the typical Cinderella story.
You could also try A Little Princess, Oliver and stories about class struggles.
Hope that helps better than my last post.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
I have to list as much films as i can that have a female character in it whose journey resembles that of cinderella's in the fairy tale. In particular i have to pay attention to the "beauty myth", like, the message it conveys about women having to be beautiful to succeed / beauty is a commodity etc etc, that paradigm.

Does anyone know of any more films that focuses on this so called "beauty myth", whether they promote or subvert it etc in the heroine's portrayal / journey? sorry if that doesnt sound very clear...

I have like 4 atm but thats not enuf i fear: Ever After, maid in manhattan, pretty woman, she's all that. i need a few more, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
miss congeniality
Pygmalion
My fair Lady

this is more for the preliminary Extension 1 right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)