• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would I receive EAS? (1 Viewer)

Rory

HSC
The key to EAS is really pointing out the obvious as to how your situation affected your studies and disadvantaged you in comparison to other students; you need a LOT of evidence and you really do have to point out the obvious and spell it out to these people. You can't assume that they're going to just go "Oh well, they're hearing impaired so I bet that was difficult" you really have to be anal rententive for how you word yourself.

I remember when I was contemplating EAS the councellors and whatnot who I was talking to told me about this girl, who had to drop out in the middle of like year 12, go into distance education, catch up to everything, and take care of her dying mother at home, so she was under a lot of stress and emotional baggage etc and she applied for EAS but she didn't get it because she didn't take the effort into really breaking it all down for them, she expected they'd take her situation into account and assume she had a rough time, they wont do that so you really have to be prepared to put a lot of effort into gathering evidence and putting forward your situation.

It's really a lot of work so I decided not to bother. I think I'd rather attempt to get in off my own merits anyway rather than cry 'disadvantaged'.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i dont think thats really fair, some people have it really easy throughout high school and throughout life, and others have it really hard. Sure thats life, but as intelligent human beings dont we have a duty to try and make things a bit more fair?

A girl i know got EAS because she moved here as a refugee in year 11 and hardly spoke english. She still worked her arse off and got like 95 or something which i think is just amazing. She also had a part time job because her family was pretty poor, and had to help look after her brothers and sisters coz her dad did shift work.

Compare that to another friend of mine who had no responsibilities, no siblings to look after, an endless supply of cash and just had it easy all through high school, and she got a 97.

In my eyes, the first friends 95 is worth so much more than the other friends 97, because she had to work so much harder to achieve it. In reality, if they were both competing for a place in the same course, the second friend would get it, when the first friend deserves it so much more. This is where EAS attempts to make it a bit fairer, and i think when people have genuinely had a rough trot its a good system.

butthen you get some ppl who think that if you dont get the mark you shouldnt be in the course. A courses UAI cut off is not a reflection of how hard it is, just an indication of how many ppl want to do it. if medicine wasnt so poplular the UAI would be like 60.

ack..i'm rambling....

asdf

HSC
I agree. I mean look at some of the engineering courses which usually have a UAI cutoff in the 80's range compared to law which are around 99.xx's (??). You cant possibly say law is more difficult (unless im wrong here :p).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
no, engineering is alot harder than Law IMO - then I've never done either, so I wouldn't be Bable to tell you for sure ;)

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
What do you mean 'almost deaf'? Sounds like bullshit to me.

I am profoundly deaf in my right ear, with a moderate-severe hearing loss in my left ear. I require a hearing aid and rely heavily on lip reading. I got EAS.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
hahaha, I have already posted in this thread.

my answers differ, w00t!

sam_account

HSC
is it likely to be accepted under the EAS if you have severe eye-sight problems and regular family conflict?
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)