Would it be worth it to purchase a cambridge 3U maths textbook? (1 Viewer)

Skeptyks

HSC
Currently our school uses Coroneus 3U and Maths in Focus. I already have a Terry Lee for 4U.
If not Cambridge, would Fitzpatrick be a better choice?
Thanks in advance.

Skeptyks

HSC
It is very dull and depressing. The pages are all brown and looks ancient :p It has some nice questions though.
Would Cambridge or Fitzpatrick be better in your opinion?

Peeik

HSC
It depends on how good you are in maths. Cambridge has a good explanation and some decent questions. Fitzpatrick doesnt explains this that well but still good enough i guess. His questions jump straight into the deep end. Fitzpatrick cost more than cambridge by $10. If you are below avg in maths>>get cambridge. If you understand maths and can do most questions form math in focus, then get fitzpatrick.

Alkanes

HSC
Cambridge has too many questions and most of it are repetitive. I like fitzpatrick better.

Skeptyks

HSC
It depends on how good you are in maths. Cambridge has a good explanation and some decent questions. Fitzpatrick doesnt explains this that well but still good enough i guess. His questions jump straight into the deep end. Fitzpatrick cost more than cambridge by $10. If you are below avg in maths>>get cambridge. If you understand maths and can do most questions form math in focus, then get fitzpatrick.
Cambridge has too many questions and most of it are repetitive. I like fitzpatrick better.
Thanks, I'll learn the content in class through our normal textbooks and I'll purchase fitzpatrick for the questions. ^^

EDIT: What is the actual name for the fitzpatrick maths 3u texbook (title + author) so I can call up a bookstore and ask them to search for the price and stock available? Also, does it have worked solutions for questions?

Last edited:

artosis

HSC
fitz imo is better.
a lot of ppl reckon cambridge is better, only due to their extension questions, which are really an overkill

get both if uve got money to burn, do bits and pieces from each. thats kinda what i did

Alkanes

HSC
Thanks, I'll learn the content in class through our normal textbooks and I'll purchase fitzpatrick for the questions. ^^

EDIT: What is the actual name for the fitzpatrick maths 3u texbook (title + author) so I can call up a bookstore and ask them to search for the price and stock available? Also, does it have worked solutions for questions?
3U Mathematics by J.B. Fitzpatrick. And unfortunately no worked solutions.

b3kh1t

HSC
yeh I would recommend you get both because some exercises are better in Fitzzy den in Cam and visa versa. By the way, there is no point in buying it brand new, see if you can buy it off an ex-student or somethin, save a lot of money.

b3kh1t

HSC
yeah fitz is the way to go! i like the cover of it i dont know why ..
lol yeh I like the front cover because its got an integration question on it and I love that topic. Maybe that's why you like it =D

Corvid

HSC
N/A
If you've already got Terry Lee I wouldn't get Cambridge. I'd borrow Cambridge probably. Cambridge is good for its incredibly rigorous and through explanations, and the questions near the end of the exercise are very interesting (and hard) and delve deep into the nature of the mathematics. However, the difficulty and rigor of the explanations and questions are beyond whats expected in the NSW syllabus. I.e its overkill. Its good if you love math and want to take it in uni.

You're not supposed to do all the questions (this is stated in the foreword of the textbook itself). The first set of questions in each exercise are repetitive but youll find that the ones near the end are pretty creative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)