• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would this Laptop Scam Work? (people with morals should stay away) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yer8899

HSC
Kramer: It’s a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don’t even know what a write-off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No, I don’t!
Kramer: But they do. And they’re the ones writing it off.

HSC
yer8899 said:
Kramer: It’s a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don’t even know what a write-off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No, I don’t!
Kramer: But they do. And they’re the ones writing it off.
LMAO!

Apocalypse96

HSC
I honestly reckon your best chance is to crash your computer, if you can find a way to open your laptop without them knowing (like shoving something in the fan) try to dislodge a wire and say that something isnt working. That way they just give you a new one

HSC
Apocalypse96 said:
I honestly reckon your best chance is to crash your computer, if you can find a way to open your laptop without them knowing (like shoving something in the fan) try to dislodge a wire and say that something isnt working. That way they just give you a new one
I was thinking of disconnecting a main wire and reclosing the casing, but the problem with that is that when you unscrew the casing, and try to rescrew it later on, the company can tell pretty easily if it has been tampered with by the way the screw have been tightened. Laptop screws are tightened using a machine which tightens them up to an exact degree, and if the company finds out that the screw are a little less tight or a little more tight, your warranty is void.

Evilo

HSC
Apocalypse96 said:
I've opened my laptop, the only wires near the fan is the power for the fan. If you yanked it out they could easily plug it back in/replace the fan (cost them almost nothing)

What about static electricity and the mother board?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Apocalypse96 said:
try to dislodge a wire and say that something isnt working. That way they just give you a new one
Maybe, just maybe, they would connect the wire back in, rather than giving you a new laptop? If you manage to shove something into a gap and cause enough damage to stop it from working, then it would be obvious to any technician the laptop is broken not because the product is defective.

Explosions Hurt said:
I was thinking of disconnecting a main wire and reclosing the casing, but the problem with that is that when you unscrew the casing, and try to rescrew it later on, the company can tell pretty easily if it has been tampered with by the way the screw have been tightened. Laptop screws are tightened using a machine which tightens them up to an exact degree, and if the company finds out that the screw are a little less tight or a little more tight, your warranty is void.
um, no again.

Its called thread lock. Its a metal-to-metal glue thats used on screws in almost everything to stop screws from coming loose in normal use.

HSC
sunny said:
Maybe, just maybe, they would connect the wire back in, rather than giving you a new laptop? If you manage to shove something into a gap and cause enough damage to stop it from working, then it would be obvious to any technician the laptop is broken not because the product is defective.

um, no again.

Its called thread lock. Its a metal-to-metal glue thats used on screws in almost everything to stop screws from coming loose in normal use.
And if that glue is damaged or broken the warranty is void?

Evilo

HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
It really depends, my laptop was serviced by a technician and he manually unscrewed all the screws. After that i just fixed all the computer problems myself - just gotta keep tabs on the screws/grounding yourself regularly. My laptop was a toshiba and there were no "warranty void" stickers everywhere as i broke down the computer.

(EDIT - there was no evidence of "thread lock" on my comp - plus you can buy that anywhere.)

HSC
Evilo said:
It really depends, my laptop was serviced by a technician and he manually unscrewed all the screws. After that i just fixed all the computer problems myself - just gotta keep tabs on the screws/grounding yourself regularly. My laptop was a toshiba and there were no "warranty void" stickers everywhere as i broke down the computer.
As far as I know, my computer doesn't have any stickers or anything on top of screws, and I've opened my laptop quite a few times to install RAM.

What strategy do you propose I take to fuck up my computer without the company being able to fuck me over and deem my warranty void?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my computer doesn't have 'thread lock' either.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Depends on the warranty.

Isn't it obvious by now, almost any kind of damage you do to it will void the warranty, even the damage you try to make look natural. Even if you manage to scan the warranty, I hope you're not expecting they will replace your shitbox with a $4.5k top-of-the-range. If anything you're going to be a 2nd hand or refurbished model with similar specs.

You asked whether it would work and whether you should risk it, I think from everyone's posts here its obvious what the answer is.

This is getting silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)