Would u still do English (1 Viewer)

jameswillcox1

HSC
Hey there students of NSW!

If English was a non compulsory subject would you still chose it?? Do you believe that learning about Hamlet and literary techniques will help u in your life?? This is just a curious question to see how everyone feels about English as a subject

OR!!! Shoudl the English corse be reformed so that rather then all "Text apreciation as my teacher puts it" they should change it like maths and have the General corse for practical applications of English rather then text apreciation and have the Adv corse for the theoretical stuff

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I still would. But clearly you wouldn't. Way to pose a biased question.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
I would, but I wouldn't want it to include it in my best 10 units.

Albertingu

HSC
Yes we do need the english for improving grammars and spelling in schools areas everywhere.

PattieBoi

HSC
OMG.

Another fucking "Is English useful" thread. Face it - no matter how much you bitch about English, you still HAVE to do it.

Just to answer your question - yes I would still do English. It's ne of the only few subject where you can voice out your opinion (moderately) and still achieve marks.

jameswillcox1

HSC
Yes we do need the english for improving grammars and spelling in schools areas everywhere.
But do you not think that by year 10 we should have all the english knowledge that we should need to know and how is learning such things about Hamlet and Beloning going to aid us in life??

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
OMG.

Another fucking "Is English useful" thread. Face it - no matter how much you bitch about English, you still HAVE to do it.

Just to answer your question - yes I would still do English. It's ne of the only few subject where you can voice out your opinion (moderately) and still achieve marks.
Chillax bro.

PattieBoi

HSC
But do you not think that by year 10 we should have all the english knowledge that we should need to know and how is learning such things about Hamlet and Beloning going to aid us in life??
You make a valid statement.

Here's a question for you.

Don't you think that by studying, say Hamlet, and exploring the concept of belonging would somewhat improve our literacy skills?

jameswillcox1

HSC
OMG.

Well in that case should it be included in your UAI or ATAR?? It is a subject that brings many people down in their HSC. My friend and I are top of all our subjects but last in English how is that fair? and if like some other comment was made that it is used to improve spelling and gramma why not teach us that? And many other things that are usefull in life?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
indeed we do.

there is no farking chance that i would do english at all if it wasn't compulsory. that said, if english was more about the english language, i would do it for sure.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Well in that case should it be included in your UAI or ATAR?? It is a subject that brings many people down in their HSC. My friend and I are top of all our subjects but last in English how is that fair? and if like some other comment was made that it is used to improve spelling and gramma why not teach us that? And many other things that are usefull in life?
australian elitism. although, it sucks for us australians who are asian-minded when it comes to subject strengths.

and, your post really highlights the holes in the system. IF YOU'RE GOING TO POST ABOUT SPELLING, SPELL CHECK OR SOMETHING.

i hate spelling and grammar mistakes. just an ocd tendency.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
indeed we do.

there is no farking chance that i would do english at all if it wasn't compulsory. that said, if english was more about the english language, i would do it for sure.
I'm pretty sure it is.... xD rofling.

Hence calling it English

sickk

HSC
"english teaches reasoning and logic and critical thinking" (i think i read that of lyounamu somewhere, someting to that extent, sorry if it wasnt you namu or i got it totally wrong lol)

none the less i agree with that statement (even though it is also my worst subject and i wish it didnt count to atar calculation) because it teaches you important skills that you take into the real world with you, more so than most HSC maths

aya-chan

HSC
I definitely wouldn't do it. It drags all my other subjects down.

I don't think it'd make a difference not counting for UAI/ATAR and still do it because like, you'd know it wouldn't count, and you wouldn't try and put more effort into your other subjects. It's just like there. Why bother.

jameswillcox1

HSC
"english teaches reasoning and logic and critical thinking" (i think i read that of lyounamu somewhere, someting to that extent, sorry if it wasnt you namu or i got it totally wrong lol)

none the less i agree with that statement (even though it is also my worst subject and i wish it didnt count to atar calculation) because it teaches you important skills that you take into the real world with you, more so than most HSC maths
There i disagree i believe that HSC maths is more important because it is a logical thinking subject that deals alot with problem solving. English doesn't seem to deal much with logic, its more interpritations and meaning that the teachers "find" in the text that the original composer hadn't even intended.

Maths on the other hand deals with real life problems that u will encounter, and example is the other day a girl in year 11 aproaced me with a problem she had sighned her self up to a bank accound and thought that she was about to double her money in interst. Its people like that who cannot manage money and get ripped off by other people because they cant do the simple calculations offered in general maths

PattieBoi

HSC
Every HSC student MUST be doing at least 2 units of English. The lowest level of English you can do is Standard - therefore it's mandatory for anyone who doesn't want to do advanced.

Here's what I think:

English Advanced, Extension 1, Extension 2 SHOULD be counted towards the ATAR because by choosing a level of English that is of higher difficulty, you are showing that you want to improve and expand on your literacy skills and that you have the intelligence and diligence to work.

But then again, English Standard and English Advanced pretty much do the same stuff. So that leads to another question - If Standard and Advance did similar things, then why not also disregard Advanced from the ATAR? This question then leads to Extension 1.

English Standard, like a VET course, should be optional when it comes to counting the 2 units towards your ATAR as it is compulsory to do AT LEAST Standard English. Think of it this way, if you're failing, then stuff it don't make it count towards your ATAR. If you're doing exceptionally well, then make it count towards your ATAR or ask yourself this question "If I'm doing so well in Standard, why aren't I doing Advanced"

So yeah, I kinda take back my rage in the above post.

My post in a nutshell:

If you're only doing Standard - it should be optional to make it count towards the ATAR. If you're doing Advanced, Extension 1, Extension 2 - then it SHOULD count towards the ATAR.

/end useless rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)