Would you join a political party? (1 Viewer)

Would you join a political party

• Yes-Liberal

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Yes-Labor

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Yes-Greens

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Yes-legalise cannbis

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • yes-other

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • no

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
Re: Would you join a poltical party

Why would anyone deliberately associate themselves with the labor or liberal party..?
Both are overtly inept when it comes to articulating intelligible, 'on-the-spot' thoughts . Just a bunch of rather dim witted career polititions jockeying to insert the maximum amount of 'politcally correct' cliches in any given sentence.
Why would anyone, especially young people, want to not just support them, but actually join them..
I can understand people joining new parties or radical groups, but to join one of the 'old-boy' 'give-turnbull/rudd-a-handshake' groups is just,.. odd.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Why would anyone deliberately associate themselves with the labor or liberal party..?
Both are overtly inept when it comes to articulating intelligible, 'on-the-spot' thoughts . Just a bunch of rather dim witted career polititions jockeying to insert the maximum amount of 'politcally correct' cliches in any given sentence.
Why would anyone, especially young people, want to not just support them, but actually join them..
I can understand people joining new parties or radical groups, but to join one of the 'old-boy' 'give-turnbull/rudd-a-handshake' groups is just,.. odd.
Guess you don't really understand the appeal, then (and most pollies I know are probably smarter than you).

yoddle

is cool
HSC

Guess you don't really understand the appeal, then (and most pollies I know are probably smarter than you).
Appeal?
Oddly enough I find myself agreeing with Iron, in that the primary motivation of politicians is self-interest and it would be very naive of us to think otherwise.

Politicians don't have a substantial amount of real power because they operate within a narrow prism and their actions restricted by the 'ideology' of their party (which can change with polls or the core thrust of which has long been eroded). They cannot push boundaries and think radically, and without such thinking real change (real change does not include hospital waiting lists and alcopop taxes) cannot be achieved. They simply maintain the status quo while being treated with mildly resentful indifference from the majority of the public.

A shit job.
There are perks, I suppose.
Perks that would appear very pleasurable from the point of view of a smart-arse high school debater with a raging ego.

HSC
N/A

Oh well you better explain its appeal then..lemme take a guess though...

it appeals to those 'wanker' 'I-had-an-inferiority-complex-in-high-school' kids who go and rub their noses up againts mook UN conferences, 'youth diagoloue' sessions, and all those other political/community pursuits that take themsleves far too seriously.....the same personality type of tight-shirted, glove wearing motivational speakers and workplace 'managers'
I doubt your 'pollie connections' are smarter than me, in any sense of the word, because if they were, they would not be polititions...but hey why dont you name one

murphyad

HSC

Politicians.....cannot push boundaries and think radically, and without such thinking real change (real change does not include hospital waiting lists and alcopop taxes) cannot be achieved.
A hasty generalisation. True of the ALP and the Libs, perhaps, but certainly not of some minor parties.

May I remind you that some political parties are actively attempting to implement radical change in society for better or worse.

You suggest that the institution of the political party is what holds back societal development, but this conclusion is a bit of a red herring. In fact, this lack of change that you speak of would appear to be due to conservative forces in society, whether they exist in a political party or any other institution. And yes, the 'big two' parties do represent this conservative force because they have a stake in the established order and so on, but this does not denote some terrible flaw in modern politics: they have a right to be represented

One other question: on what premise is radical change a carry-all measure of societal advancement?

Finally, yes: I would (in fact, will) join a political party, but not the Libs or ALP.

Tangent

HSC

No, i wouldn join a political party, because i like my own ideals, and they are not fully embodied in any one party. Also, change is part of progress, and to commit yourself to one party is to hinder change

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Oh well you better explain its appeal then..lemme take a guess though...

it appeals to those 'wanker' 'I-had-an-inferiority-complex-in-high-school' kids who go and rub their noses up againts mook UN conferences, 'youth diagoloue' sessions, and all those other political/community pursuits that take themsleves far too seriously.....the same personality type of tight-shirted, glove wearing motivational speakers and workplace 'managers'
Lol okay, I'm sure I and many others fit perfectly into that mould!

I doubt your 'pollie connections' are smarter than me, in any sense of the word, because if they were, they would not be polititions...but hey why dont you name one
Well, that's pretty simple. Malcolm Turnbull, for one!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Spoke to a local member and there is way too much sucking ass to do if you want to get anywhere.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Liberal party as soon as I finish school. Have already signed up for the Melbourne University Liberal Club.

I do it merely out of spite, can't stand those unwashed lefties shoving shit pamphlets in my face all the time.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

why hasn't anyone voted for legalize cannabis?
I figure I've got far more chance getting marijuana decriminalised by voting Greens. Especially since the Greens actually gain more political representation every election, whereas any hemp party would just shine brightly for a few years then fade into obscurity.

Furthermore, marijuana just isn't a massive political issue so I'd prefer to vote for a party whose policies I agree with at least 2/3rds of the time rather than a party with only a single policy.

Next election I'll be preferencing Greens, Sex Party, then the Libs. I'd preference Labour because I'm a fan of Rudd's stance against China and his National Broadband Network, but I'm just simply not willing to risk his Internet censorship scheme passing. Labour also has their finger stuck in the copyright lobbyists's pie.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Liberal party as soon as I finish school. Have already signed up for the Melbourne University Liberal Club.

I do it merely out of spite, can't stand those unwashed lefties shoving shit pamphlets in my face all the time.
PM me your details, I know some MULCers and will make sure it goes well :)

yoddle

is cool
HSC

A hasty generalisation. True of the ALP and the Libs, perhaps, but certainly not of some minor parties.

May I remind you that some political parties are actively attempting to implement radical change in society for better or worse.

You suggest that the institution of the political party is what holds back societal development, but this conclusion is a bit of a red herring. In fact, this lack of change that you speak of would appear to be due to conservative forces in society, whether they exist in a political party or any other institution. And yes, the 'big two' parties do represent this conservative force because they have a stake in the established order and so on, but this does not denote some terrible flaw in modern politics: they have a right to be represented

One other question: on what premise is radical change a carry-all measure of societal advancement?

Finally, yes: I would (in fact, will) join a political party, but not the Libs or ALP.
But in the current system the minor parties have little chance of success. The two parties remain in their power duopoly because of the political apathy that democracy mutually upholds. A system where the majority of people's direct and consequential political activity consists of voting once every three/four years hardly affords itself to anything substantial. That's why both the major parties are so populist, because the majority of the vote-going public have a very superficial approach to public politics.

It's the age-old question, is it the right thing to do for the nation because the majority of the people want it, even though they may be misinformed. Should the will of the people lead this country into happiness or the abyss, or should an elite dictate our course?

To answer a question with a question: should we even be governed?

Why do I think radical change is a measure of advancement? Because the current capitalist system is completely unsustainable and is eroding the meaning of life in an emotional, physical and environmental sense. A way of living that causes infinite production in a world of finite resources does not make any sense. Modern politics seems unable to address this problem because it relies on the apathy or ignorance of the people to exist and propagate these generally meaningless political careers.

HSC
N/A

Well, that's pretty simple. Malcolm Turnbull, for one!
woah..we must have very different opinions about intelligence and wit.
Mabye your intellectually stimulated by boring and capricious ex-lawyer politicians...sorry but I'm not, I prefer writers/scientists/academic economists.

Are you seriously impressed by turnbulls stale conservative whitenoise?, seriously......you think thats good...wow

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

woah..we must have very different opinions about intelligence and wit.
Mabye your intellectually stimulated by boring and capricious ex-lawyer politicians...sorry but I'm not, I prefer writers/scientists/academic economists.

Are you seriously impressed by turnbulls stale conservative whitenoise?, seriously......you think thats good...wow
I didn't say it was good, I said he was intelligent. You asked me to name an intelligent politician, and I did. Most politicians have to be intelligent to get where they are.

Not all of them are ex-lawyers either. Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN :tongue:

come on people we need to save the planet 4 our future children:sun::sun:

HSC
N/A

I didn't say it was good, I said he was intelligent. You asked me to name an intelligent politician, and I did. Most politicians have to be intelligent to get where they are.

Not all of them are ex-lawyers either. Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
yea you said he was intelligent..I said we must must have different opinions about what intelligence means....
Again, if you call what politcians requires to 'get where they are' 'intelligence', we obviously attribute different traits to the word. I think 'intelligence' has more to do with critical thinking, creativity, wit, etc.....while I think your confusing it with cunning, networking ability, opportunism, the capacity to hold contradictory beliefs... etc

turnbull was originally a lawyer...was he not?..i never said all of them are..
obviously I hit a nerve or something because you're involvevd with that rather sad 'young liberal' nonsense (no offence intended)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)