would you let someone borrow your book? (1 Viewer)

ieatbarbies

HSC
No, not a book that I truly treasure (like the Twilight series & I last year when I had not realised that I was no longer 12) but it depends.

I'd lend any books to my close friends in my group because they're good girls and I know they'd take good care of it. I'd definitely hesistate though, if it were someone I don't trust or know well. But I'm a big wuss and like pleasing people :/

studentcheese

HSC
I wouldn't lend one. People would take ages to return it. I know - it's an attitude problem I sorta have. I don't let anyone borrow my things unless it's something small like a pen. I don't know what's going wrong with me, but I have a feeling that I don't trust anyone in this world.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Depends on what they are. Excel books you can borrow, in fact, you can keep them.
My personal collection (2) of 1800's microbiology texts on the other hand, I would never lend.

studentcheese

HSC
haha with study books, I tell people to get books themselves (unless they pay me, of course)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
speaking about lending things..
i hate people who chew pens....:evilfire:

08er

HSC
depends who it is... friends shouldn't let me borrow theirs since there's a great probability they will not get it back (in the same conditions at least)

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
i hatee giving my books out to people to borrow
i need my books to be in an excellent condition

my sister returned one of my books today and it was basically torn all over :(

snow_fanatzi

HSC
No, not a book that I truly treasure (like the Twilight series & I last year when I had not realised that I was no longer 12) but it depends.

I'd lend any books to my close friends in my group because they're good girls and I know they'd take good care of it. I'd definitely hesistate though, if it were someone I don't trust or know well. But I'm a big wuss and like pleasing people :/
hey me too. i used to be a wuss and like pleasing people and just let them borrow it. so sad. but nowadays i just say no. i like my books to be in the same condition when i bought it.

so yeah, i agreed to you all about not letting other borrow your things.

suzlee

HSC
A wonderful friend lent me her book once...

I dropped it on my kitchen tiles and it ripped about 1cm down the spine....

I felt horrible :(

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
A wonderful friend lent me her book once...

I dropped it on my kitchen tiles and it ripped about 1cm down the spine....

I felt horrible :(
awww....lesson learnt!

horus

HSC
donly let some one that i trus will not damage it so that amounts to my daad and one of my freinds from school

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Cheap paperback? Sure.
First-edition out-of-print hardcover? Fat chance.

Also depends on the person.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
It really comes down to the person.

For the most of it, I'd prefer not to lend books and DVDs. I think I'm a little possessive, but I hate it when people don't show any respect for your property, even if they are just books and DVDs.

One of my friends decided to raid my DVD collection without even telling me - and took about 20 of them. When I later asked her about it, she didn't even apologize and had the nerve to tell me that she still hadn't watched some of them so I couldn't take them back! Grr. And the previous DVDs I lent to her were about a year in returning.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I'd tell them I'd lent it to my dyslexic cousin to read and they should borrow it from the library lest be waiting a very long time for mine.

If they elected to wait that long, I'd give it to them when I'd lost my attachment to said book.

DoomBuggy

HSC
No, not after all the crap i've gotten from friends.

I lent a book to one of my friends (one of my fave books too) and about a week later it was returned... it looked like complete sh!t, it was in a nice condition when i gave it to her but when i got it back it looked like it had been shoved down the bottom of a bag/run over by a car because the cover and the pages were all warped and creased to the craphouse. I know the whole thing about books being well read and all, but it was ridiculous.

I don't lend books to her anymore, she bought a copy of the book and refused to lend it out to anyone, and kept telling the people to borrow mine, even though she'd gotten a hardcover version. :mad1:

When you lend out a book, the person should realise that you trust them enough to do it - when someone lends you a book they love, it means that it's precious to them and they expect you to take care of it and not ruin it.

Gosh i'm bitter. My poor book. :(

Miss Neutrino

HSC
I have to agree with "it depends on the person".

I decided to give one of my friends who's known for being messy a chance and I lent one to her for 2 weeks... when it came back it looked like it had been dropped in a swimming pool, chucked in a dryer and god knows what else was done to it. There's still a weird mould-like/oily stain near the back and it goes right through all the pages.

Granted it was a cheap paperback so I wasn't that distressed, but seriously... I don't even know how it's possible to do that to a book in the space of 2 weeks.

Never, ever again. T_T

snow_fanatzi

HSC
lol! whoa such horror story! now i doubt im gonna lend anyone my books. the worst i got was it being bent, horribly used! where the covers goes all crinkling and being covered! u know those clear plastic covereD? why did she covered my book? i didnt ask for it to be covered.

she goes "it looks better when it is cover," and im like O.O " yeah thanks......." never again am i lending my books to her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)