Wrecked the TRIALS!!!! is my life over?!!! (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
I know my life won't really be over, but I still feel shit for ruining my trials. aka, studying the night before, and just doing plain crap, except for the 4 lovely units of English I have.

I do 10 units,
I really crazily f'ed up Biology. I'm looking at 60% here (guess I'm coming last)
Also, I ruined Society & Culture, probably around 60% as well. (near the tail-end here to)
adv maths is alright.

I'm not looking for a UAI prediction, I just want somebody to reassure me that...

if I get 95%+ for my HSC exams, then I will get a UAI of a

98+

I go to a top selective, shittily competitive school, where averages are always 85%+ and the exams are stupidly difficult.

Yeah, I had a horrible trials exam day

*sobs*

Someone please tell me, if i do well in the HSC, then it can be all fixed up!

THANXXXXX!!!

poopoohead

HSC
yeah its all good- they moderate ur marks

for instance-my mums an HSC english teacher and i saw some of her marks from last year- this one girl, for example, had a school assessment mark of just above 70. She got like 88 or 89 or something in the HSC exam and they moderated her mark up to like the mid 80's.

so dont worry

im sure ur 4 units of english will get u the uai of 98 u want:)

shimmy&shine

HSC
I don't think it's a good idea to rely on your school's performance is it?

My school came second/third last year, but who knows what could happen this year?

I don't think telling myself 'you go to a hard school, and all your marks are going to be moderated and scaled' is a good idea. But that's how I've been calming myself, but still...

An english mark of 9/15 at my school, a friend told me by comparison, that it is equivalent to an A range at an average school.

thanks for your advice guys!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
you go to hornsby girls?

cause baulko and ruse don't offer society and culture ..

i'd hate to say anything that might deter to you at this point, but to be MIGHTILY REALISTIC if you did perform as you said you did for those 4u chances are 98 might *just* be out of the equation.

although if you score 95+ then thats a whole other matter. my only point is that don't try to aim too high i.e. mid 90s because if your trials are any indication, you probably won't be able to achieve this.

again i'm going to bring you back down to earth and say that if you substantially improved for the hsc i.e. band 6 all round but say around 90/1/2 couple of 3s then 96 for your uai seems the most likely bet.

shimmy&shine

HSC
yes I do, oh - my identity has been revealed! (Hello everyone, *waves*lol)

Thanks bobness, for your honesty and you being realistic.

I'm going to try real hard to ace those subjects. I've been doing average-well in all of them throughout the year. It's just the trials.

96 sounds good enough, but but *reaches out to touch* UAI 98

SO I can't redeem myself in the hsc?

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
hey

i dont go to a selective school- maitland grossmann up newy way- and english assessments would be marked the same as any other school in the state slective or non-selective... eg sydney girls assessments would be marked the same as my schools....

the last assessment i got 13/15 and my english teacher thinks in the HSC it would have been about 14 or 15 in the actual HSC...

as for ur trials they will oonly be worth a percentage of ur final assessment marks so dont fret too much...

it is still possible to get a band 6 if ur assessment mark is 80 ish.... and thus high UAI! yay!

also in the hsc they wont know which school u go to as to how to mark u or what ur final mark should be- everyon is equal!

if u do well in ur hsc exams you'll do fine :)

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hi Sophie,

Although I know what you mean, i don't think it's true.

My eng ext teacher got invited to another school to mark a few assessment, to compare marking standards. That school gave an essay 23/25, he gave the essay 18/25, he said that it was no way an A range.

Therefore the marking standards must vary. but yes, in the acutal HSC it is a level playing field.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
then again, its english - english marking is very ambigious....i dont think the marking standards in the external will be that be that fair at all....it really depends on what kind of style ,etc the marker is used to ...yes, hate english.

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
i guess its easy for me to say that as my teacher is a senior marker....

english amrks get marked and remarked and remarked...

so opinions and style of the marker dont really matter in the end if u write a good essay....

at the end of each day the senior markers look at the marks from different markers and adjust so they are fair eg generous markers, harsh markers if u know what i mean...

shimmy&shine

HSC
brogan77 said:
zomg i got zero in my trials...

will i get 90+ if i get 100 in all my hsc exams?!?!!?!?!??!??!

:rolleyes:
Please don't emphaise your stupidity over and over again..

really, it's getting tired.

Nah, kidding, I crack up at your posts. hehe, Thanks for the laughs..

yasamin

HSC
hey i just want a UAI of 90+
i'm doing really avragely and may be attending the worst skool in wester sydney (forgive me, but i'm poor with crazy parents). my skool marks range from 94 to 60, 94 being modern history and 60 being chemistry! i really beleive i can do at least three band 6's but not exceptionally high ones! AAAARRRRGGHHH!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
and another point, if you want to go to club mac, your school offers this program where you gain an extra 5 uai points because they're in partnership with the uni.

and even if you totally bomb out of the hsc (which you won't haha!) there's always flipping burgers at maccas ;) or on second thoughts transferring in your second yr of uni

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
that mac uni partnership thing is awarded to retards they feel sorry for because they wouldnt get into uni otherwise. i remember at my year 12 graduation night when they announced the successful applicants all the asian parents started sniggering.

and to that hornsby chick: the 'dumb' kids from last year's grade still managed to get 97+. hornsby is one seriously smart school, you got nothing to worry about.

shimmy&shine

HSC
blackfriday said:
and to that hornsby chick: the 'dumb' kids from last year's grade still managed to get 97+. hornsby is one seriously smart school, you got nothing to worry about.
ooh, really. tHat's cool. My school maybe smart, but it is so damn competitive and just all me-me-me for some people. But most are lovely lovely gorgeous girls.

bobness said:
and another point, if you want to go to club mac, your school offers this program where you gain an extra 5 uai points because they're in partnership with the uni.
I actually did not know that. THanks for that. But i don't feel 'attracted' to Macquarie. (hope you don't come by elitist here.) How come you knew that about my school and I didn't know!? lol.

bobness said:
and even if you totally bomb out of the hsc (which you won't haha!) there's always flipping burgers at maccas or on second thoughts transferring in your second yr of uni
Thanks for that.

hmmm.. flipping burgers. I'd much rather do the archaeology thing, lol.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Im leaning towards UTS now.

This would be the perfect scenario.
A uni with a UNSW social scene, with the prestige of Usyd, with courses like the ones as UTS.

It only exists in lalaland.
What to do. What to do.

I'll be wise.....

UTS.

Gavin Windsor

HSC
Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat, I did really well in my assignments (high 80's to low 90's) but then I got literally destroyed at my trials ( failed 2 and nothin above 70) but its still hopeful I mean even if you dont get the UAI you are aiming for you still have several things you can do its not THAT bad.

shimmy&shine

HSC
lol. I love your sig. It matches with my name! haha.
I'm very cool!

It's true. THere are several ways to get into uni. ANd it's not the be all and the end all if you don't get in, that's ok.

The curious thing is that, let's say journalism. Lots of high-profile journalist of the highest calibre, don't have any degree in communications or journalism.
People forget that a degree is not gonna get the job you want. It's the connections, on'es personality, etc.

Don't stress Gavin. You will redeem yourself in the HSC exams. I know you will!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)