Writers block! (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
it's funny- sometimes i can let the words flow out of me, with fluidity and control, and sometimes ( mostly when it matters) my mind freezes. usually i read a healthy dose of words from keats, shakespeare and coleridge and then i'm fine, but sometimes i really can't think at all. my mind holds no words.

i'm presuming other EE2 people have experienced this writers block, so how do you overcome it? it really becomes frustrating at times, and before poetry was such a relaxing thing..

HSC
N/A
Just write when it comes :) If it doesn't work, don't bash your head against the desk or a brick wall. Just do something else, maybe something completely different to take your mind off. When you're fresh and have a clear mind again, go back to your work :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
We all suffer writer's block, and in my experience there is no real cure - just write rubbish till the magic kicks in and you start spinning gold. Even if you have to write something as horrible as "that fat cat sat on round thing and made a big crap" - then write it, getting the words out no matter how bad they are is all part of the process.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
it's funny- sometimes i can let the words flow out of me, with fluidity and control, and sometimes ( mostly when it matters) my mind freezes. usually i read a healthy dose of words from keats, shakespeare and coleridge and then i'm fine, but sometimes i really can't think at all. my mind holds no words.

i'm presuming other EE2 people have experienced this writers block, so how do you overcome it? it really becomes frustrating at times, and before poetry was such a relaxing thing..
In the interests of stirring up the poetry section, my two cents.

The inspiration comes from life. If you have great highs and lows and feel moved and provoked, you write that way. If you aren't mentally and emotionally active, or you are having a flat year then the words tend to drizzle rather than pour. Although year 12 is a great time when your mind is expanding, I think the vicissitudes of real-life play an important part in providing you with the urge to set pen to paper.

That said, there are writing exercises you can do to get the ball rolling. In a similar vein, I used to always keep a notepad and pen next to my bed in year 12. It is surprising how many fleeting ideas and interesting dreams that can slip through your fingers if you do not really milk them out through writing before your memory of them dries up.

As for reading, that helps a lot too. I find reading new things - things that push your thoughts and challenge you to discover new styles, genres, concepts, techniques, etc - are often very useful in expanding your literary arsenal and developing your writing skills.

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Well for me...

I basically get out. Have latte at gloria jean's. play pool, etc.
anything BUT think about what I should/want to write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)