Writing generic essays? (1 Viewer)

qwertyuiopa

HSC
N/A
This questions particularly for people who have done their HSC, though I'd appreciate anyone's advice.

I've already completed my AOS and first 2 Module assessment tasks, and surprisingly did very well in all of them. So now I'm wondering how I should go about making them generic enough for the Trials?

I'm convinced by the advice from people who have already completed their HSC and from Crobat's Eng Adv guide, that this is the way to go.

My Hamlet essay's question if I recall was quite specific, only referring to certainty and revenge. My Franken-Runner essay on the other hand was pretty vague.From I'm really not sure how to make these essays generic. For instance, how the structure should be set, how much information of each topic should be included etc>

What one of the year 12's did who completed their HSC last year, told me was to make a general thesis about revolving around what the rubric asks, and then make and memorize about 6 paragraphs referring to various concerns (for instance for Hamlet he had a paragraph about revenge, role of women, etc), Is this a good way to go about what I'm asking?

Thanks

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
NO NO NO NO NO

To avoid me typing out the same old thing again, this is why

If you are doing well already, just make sure you have enough techniques prepared (including a few key scenes) and understand how to apply them to a variety of different ideas and questions.

Focus on simply answering the question and all this bullshit about "what do I need to memorise, how should I calibrate my regurgitation, is 6.5 points enough or should I go for 7 and is that with/without rounding" becomes, well, clear as being mud.

All these people who say memorise paragraphs, theses, et c. are trying to game the system. Which is perfectly great except they're not very good at it. Memorisation is lots of hard work for not much dividend and frankly why would you bother? For a bit of false security?

Generic answers, by definition, do not stand out from the pack, and by subsequent definition can't get you exceptionally good results.

qwertyuiopa

HSC
N/A
NO NO NO NO NO

To avoid me typing out the same old thing again, this is why

If you are doing well already, just make sure you have enough techniques prepared (including a few key scenes) and understand how to apply them to a variety of different ideas and questions.

Focus on simply answering the question and all this bullshit about "what do I need to memorise, how should I calibrate my regurgitation, is 6.5 points enough or should I go for 7 and is that with/without rounding" becomes, well, clear as being mud.

All these people who say memorise paragraphs, theses, et c. are trying to game the system. Which is perfectly great except they're not very good at it. Memorisation is lots of hard work for not much dividend and frankly why would you bother? For a bit of false security?

Generic answers, by definition, do not stand out from the pack, and by subsequent definition can't get you exceptionally good results.
I understand where your coming from, though from my experiences, something markers really look for is how "clear and concise" your essays are and for the ones my teachers have marked this year, they have given me a lot of credit for this.

I just can't see myself writing something on the spot and having it be the quality of work that deserves a high mark.

zhiying

HSC
You probably shouldn't, but I had no respect for Eng Adv and memorised/reproduced literally word for word in trials and HSC to my band 6, no regrets would do again. Seriously it felt like as long as my essay sounded good, it got good marks. Did I answer the question? Probably got lucky but it was a risk worth taking, although if they really gave me a curve ball question I probably knew my arguments well enough to twist and turn it. To be honest I think I'm actually horrible at English, so yeah wasn't going to spend effort on that subject -_-

Yeah but would not recommend to others if they really want to do well. Not bad as a back up though if you find yourself not able to do anything else

qwertyuiopa

HSC
N/A
You probably shouldn't, but I had no respect for Eng Adv and memorised/reproduced literally word for word in trials and HSC to my band 6, no regrets would do again.
You sound a lot like me at the moment :)

So how did you go about structuring your essays and how did you make sure you covered as many bases as possible.

Also, I should note, I am also studying up on my topics, rubrics, etc as well in the lead up to the trials. I'm not planning to leave it entirely to a generic essay

cheers

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i wrote 5 generic pieces of writing and i got a band 4. i think that was okay

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if you being sarcastic or not? Is a band 4 hard to get in eng adv?
if i was being sarcastic i would use the [Sarcasm][/Sarcasm] feature not yet available on bored of studies :p

Nope it isn't that hard. even AD got a band 4 (iirc). tbh i probably only got 8/15 for the reading task (didn't do the last question) but the essays i memorised; i have been working on perfecting throughout the whole year. i think i forgot to write a conclusion for my belonging essay tho lel #yolo

qwertyuiopa

HSC
N/A
if i was being sarcastic i would use the [Sarcasm][/Sarcasm] feature not yet available on bored of studies :p

Nope it isn't that hard. even AD got a band 4 (iirc). tbh i probably only got 8/15 for the reading task (didn't do the last question) but the essays i memorised; i have been working on perfecting throughout the whole year. i think i forgot to write a conclusion for my belonging essay tho lel #yolo
Could you give me advice on how you structured your essays to be adaptable as possible and things of that nature, would really appreciate it :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Could you give me advice on how you structured your essays to be adaptable as possible and things of that nature, would really appreciate it :)
Honestly; we had an assignment on each module and i tried to make it as general as possible so i could use it later.

BTW; i was always on top of my english homework because i kept handing in the same essays except change to lines lol. good thing the teacher was old and didn't catch on

this were my intro's:

MOD B: Speeches

MOD C: Julius Caesar

DON'T PLAGIARISE THESE

zhiying

HSC
You sound a lot like me at the moment :)

So how did you go about structuring your essays and how did you make sure you covered as many bases as possible.

Also, I should note, I am also studying up on my topics, rubrics, etc as well in the lead up to the trials. I'm not planning to leave it entirely to a generic essay

cheers
Well my plan (or lack of one) was to just make a generic one, figure out how I can answer a small selection of generic questions, then pray. Just find as many questions as you can and think about what you'd do if you got that question

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
thank fuck last year they did not specify speeches. i wanted to go into acturial studies so i spent more time trying to calculate the risk of bos specifying speeches

qwertyuiopa

HSC
N/A
Well my plan (or lack of one) was to just make a generic one, figure out how I can answer a small selection of generic questions, then pray. Just find as many questions as you can and think about what you'd do if you got that question
Alright I get what your doing here thanks, dw I won't, there not even the texts I'm doing :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it depends on what works for you, but writing generic essays have rarely worked for me-the only module that this is very useful for is Frankenstein/Blade Runner (Module A)-but particularly for Belonging-because there are simply so many areas the rubric covers, it might be better to make good English notes which allows you to answer the demands of any particular essay question. I don't recommend making too many paragraphs because usually only a few conceptual concerns are strong enough to be related to either any related text you selected as well as the demands of any particular module. But at the end of the day, do what works for you:)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year and I find memorising paragraphs, understanding the basic idea and how the techniques worked to back up my point have been a really good method for me (it's like memorising dot points, but I know how to write it and because I lack the skill to BS eloquently on the spot, it gives me a good safety net if I forget certain expressions, etc.). Introduction is made up on the spot, but obviously I would have come up with some potential theses that can be adapted to fit the question. Ultimately, if you find your current methods are working out, stick to them. No use trying to experiment with new study techniques during trials if your current ones work.

Also, to make your essays more "generic" just pick two or three ideas you think really encapsulate what the module says and write a really good series of paragraphs for those. Then see if you can adapt them well to other questions to test whether or not they're generic enough. Otherwise, just go with writing out the main ideas and techniques in dot-point form. :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I guess it depends on what works for you, but writing generic essays have rarely worked for me-the only module that this is very useful for is Frankenstein/Blade Runner (Module B)-but particularly for Belonging-because there are simply so many areas the rubric covers, it might be better to make good English notes which allows you to answer the demands of any particular essay question. I don't recommend making too many paragraphs because usually only a few conceptual concerns are strong enough to be related to either any related text you selected as well as the demands of any particular module. But at the end of the day, do what works for you:)
did you mean module A haha :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)