writing in contemporary cultures (1 Viewer)

somechick

HSC
N/A
Ok, i know most of you UTS students are busy studying but if by some measly chance you have come here (i see u have heheee!), could anyone please tell me about this course? How much writing is there exactly?
Thank You, come again!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't know a huge deal about it.... in first year you do the three core subjects for the communications degrees and then you do a writing subject. From what I gather, you do a fair bit of creative writing, different styles and genres. If you love writing it would be a really good course.

somechick

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
I don't know a huge deal about it.... in first year you do the three core subjects for the communications degrees and then you do a writing subject. From what I gather, you do a fair bit of creative writing, different styles and genres. If you love writing it would be a really good course.
oh thanks! Do you know about how others who are doing the course are doing? LIke what do they think of it?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Im doing it next year combined with Law, provided i get in. Sounds like fun. I recommend checking out the handbook if you have any queries as to what exactly is involved.

somechick

HSC
N/A
I really enjoy writing but im so scawed.
On another question, what is the journalism course like. I've read and read everywhere you can think of but can someone external from the uni board who are trying to sell it to us just-out-of-high-school people tell me what its like please?
Thank you

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have written so much stuff down about the journalism course and I can't be bothered to write it all out again... sift through some of the threads on this forum to find out info about it.

somechick

HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
But you cant chnage your preferences now anyway...??
Yeah i know. The problem is that im trying desperatley to get into this course (journalism), but my uai isnt that high so i have to do writingin cont. cultures and perhaps transfer.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
well if im not mistaken, the majority of the first semester subjects is the same across all communications courses. um with journalism, are you completely sure you want to be a journalist? it tends to be fairly specific in that respect.

somechick

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I'm so vague lol.
I meant as in personal experience from students studying Journalism.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If you want to get in to journalism via transfer apparently social inquiry is the most relevent of the communications degrees to journalism. But you should pick what you want to do the most (secondary to journo) because sometimes transfers don't happen.... you can always do journo subjects for all your electives, you have as much chance at getting in to the industry that way apparently as long as you build up a decent portfolio of published work.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Just out of interest, what sort of published work have you got published braindrainedAsh?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Um I haven't had a lot published mainly because I was so busy working full time to afford living in Syd that I didn't have a chance to do any "extracurricular" writing/research..... I have had a couple of things published in community newspapers (esp the ones UTS publishes).... hoping that I will have more time this year to do more freelance writing type stuff.

somechick

HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
well ive heard of someone with a social inquiry degree get a journo job.

ill get the link if i can. twas posted in these threads:)

No way! are u serious?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
question cuz i'm thinking of putting this as a preference, prolly combined with law... does this degree actually have any career opportunities or is it a glorified arts degree? cause it sounds interesting, but i don't want to be a novellist or anything... altho i have been considering editing.

Jinglebell

HSC
From UTS website: "Career options include fiction or non-fiction writer, scriptwriter, media or cultural researcher, editor, freelance writer, publisher, literary agent, feature writer, copywriter, cultural administrator, new media or web producer." Check out http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/hss/ug/c10099.html for more info.

Also thought it worth noting that ALL UTS Communications courses are arts degrees (glorified or not). You will be studying a BA Communications (*insert strand*).

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
glycerine said:
question cuz i'm thinking of putting this as a preference, prolly combined with law... does this degree actually have any career opportunities or is it a glorified arts degree? cause it sounds interesting, but i don't want to be a novellist or anything... altho i have been considering editing.
I went down this road. No offense to anyone doing this degree or any communications degrees at UTS, but its a waste of time. This is basically the same info ive been given by a few other members of BOS. I would opt for business/law or something else if i were you. But even better still, id probably go to USYD or UNSW where the options for combined law degrees are much greater.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)