Writing Notes for Chemistry?? (1 Viewer)

sheep90

HSC
I want to start writing out my notes for chemistry but I have an issue
at school we are learning the syllabus in a weird order
we started with module 2 of our optional topic (industrial chemistry) with 2 dot points from another topic
now we are going back and doing 9.5 the acidic environment

and my teacher's teaching style seems really disorganised and messy which kinda confuses me.

for bio I just write my notes according the dot points but in chem we are all over the place and I don;t know what to do :(

:rudolf:

Hakuna Matata

HSC
I want to start writing out my notes for chemistry but I have an issue
at school we are learning the syllabus in a weird order
we started with module 2 of our optional topic (industrial chemistry) with 2 dot points from another topic
now we are going back and doing 9.5 the acidic environment

and my teacher's teaching style seems really disorganised and messy which kinda confuses me.

for bio I just write my notes according the dot points but in chem we are all over the place and I don;t know what to do :(

:rudolf:
I reckon keep up with what the teacher is doing in class and at the same time start going through the dotpoints yourself and make summaries. Cross-reference your summaries with other texts just in case the one you're using isn't completely legit, and type them on a computer or use loose paper so you can add stuff when your teacher gets back on topic.

What works for me is I make notes in class on loose paper and keep them in a folder with all the handouts. I read through these on the train and at home I read a textbook and cross reference with these 2 other study guide type booklets. Don't actually make proper dot point notes but might later idk I've only got a practical test this term

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wow that's fucked because the options are mostly based on fundamentals learnt in the core...

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Wow that's fucked because the options are mostly based on fundamentals learnt in the core...
Especially for Industrial, where about 50% of it reinforces the core topics. I'm seriously questioning how your teachers approach is beneficial to anyone.

sheep90

HSC
We only did module 2 of industrial chem and kinda learnt equilibriums at the same time? I'm confused on the order we are learning things in and I personally prefer to do things in order so I like to have the syllabus as a guide so I can tick things off and be sure that I've covered everything.

But I go to a selective school and so many people go tutoring ( for everything!) so then sometimes all these super smart people who have already learnt all this ask all these really complex questions about stuff which we haven't done in class and some things which apparently we don't even need to know so i always get lost there.

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
We only did module 2 of industrial chem and kinda learnt equilibriums at the same time? I'm confused on the order we are learning things in and I personally prefer to do things in order so I like to have the syllabus as a guide so I can tick things off and be sure that I've covered everything.

But I go to a selective school and so many people go tutoring ( for everything!) so then sometimes all these super smart people who have already learnt all this ask all these really complex questions about stuff which we haven't done in class and some things which apparently we don't even need to know so i always get lost there.
Which topics of industrial have you done? I can't believe you've done equilibriums in industrial without doing the acids topic. Extremely poor syllabus knowledge by your teacher, when almost every section in industrial is based around equilibriums.

And don't worry about the other kids learning "extra stuff". You can only ever get tested on the stuff that's in the syllabus, so the extra stuff is just wasted knowledge. If you're feeling like you're falling behind the class syllabus wise, maybe look into getting a tutor as well.

But back to your notes, just write notes as you go along in class, and then sort them into order as the year progresses.

Scientist

HSC
What i like to do is i read through the text book once, then i collect evidence for a specific dot point in the syllabus and then i write it down and throw out any unessecary notes and stuff, and i go off the syllabus because that is what they examine you upon.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think your teacher skipped Production of Materials, did Acidic environment first and decided to do equilibrium reactions from Industrial Chem to help out with Le Chatelier's Principle.

That is so stupid. Ask your teacher to follow the textbook in a chronological manner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)