Writing your I.P./Monologue... (1 Viewer)

goosiegoo

HSC
I've recently decided i'm going to write my i.p. for drama, because... i can't seem to find a scrip that's right for what i want - and this way, hopefully i'll get just what i want. If i can do it. My drama teacher says i can, atleast. :p
Anywho, i was wondering if anyone has any tips for writing a monologue, i already have my idea (it's based on the sort of things i was looking for in a script) and no, it's not teen angst, too dramatic or.. anything on that list posted below me about the biggest tip for monologues. It'll mainly be comedic, and pathos..
Anywho, yeah, i just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips, because i'm procrastinating, and atleast this way i feel like i'm getting something out if it. :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ok. if you're going to write you're own you really have to get it well and truly underway now...the exam will come up faster than you think, trust me, lol.
i didnt completely write mine but i used a lot of my own material to supplement the tinsy extract i started from, and my drama teacher told us all the following:

1. Make sure that you really do create a character. You need to come up with all the character's subtleties and quirks, everything that makes them tick, all their backstory, history, relationships, bla bla, and use all this to inform your scriptwriting. Going in blindly with a vague idea about plot won't get you far.

2. Make sure your script is understandable to a wide audience; sure, you might understand perfectly what your piece is saying, because you wrote it, after all. But do consider clarity, keep asking yourself "if i was an audience member, would i understand this?"

3. Write theatrically; the concept of 'show, not tell' is important here. Have a look at some other plays and scripts written by proffessionals and see how the dialogue they create SHOWS the audience what is happening and engages them in a journey rather than a straight recount. Reminiscence is fine, but if it's your whole script, something is wrong.

4. Edit, edit, edit, edit (etc). Your first draft will by no means be the piece you end up performing unless you are exceptionally fantastically good at writing. I don't mean you have to keep combing through it right up until your exam but you'll need to do a lot of re-drafts and edits, plus experimenting practically with what you write to see if it works on stage.

hope that's the sort of thing you were after. good luck and have fun! :)

goosiegoo

HSC
Thanks alot! Yeah, i'm in the process of writing a bio for my character right now... and then i'll plan the general plot... and i need to read some more books to help with the content and info.. but yes, i shall very much follow your suggestions. I'm an editing freak, and the reason i didn't wanna write one in the first place was because i knew i'd never be happy with it... :p But i'll deal. Atleast i'll have something.
One thing i will have to work on is making sure it's actually funny... to an audience who doesn't know me. Because i've written scripts before that've had my class in hysterics when i'm performing them, but if i perform them to a group of strangers i don't get much reaction at all. Maybe i'll get some trusting bos members to read it when i'm done, not that it'll be the same in writing. *sigh*

Sorry, i'm ranting. Hehe. Putting my thoughts into words...

Anywho, thankyou for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)