Wuthering Heights cultural reception (1 Viewer)

al_87

HSC
hello hello. im stuck. i get the the whole look at wuthering heights through two or so interpretations (im going marxist and psychoanalytical) and how to do that BUT my teacher says that first we have to show a 'detailed knowledge of the text' ie. talk about the reception the novel received when it was first released. any ideas?? do i just talk about themes or something like that?? im confused!! and ive got no idea how to keep going!

instantGRAVY

HSC
N/A
what she mean is that she want to compare the initial victorian and contempoary receptions of the book as a result of the context of the time, such as when the book was first published the criticss hated the book as it show shifts of the power to the weak as the victorian times was a patriarchal society... this is where you put your marxist interpretation as it dealt with social standing and ethics...

then with the psychoanalytical which can be your contempoaray veiw you can ases the time period that it was from like what Freud had experienced and tell how their environment effected their interpretation of the book....

know_it_all

i would discuss how it was initially received "read Jane Eyre...but burn Wuthering Heights" they said....due to the text's subversion, moral positioning, passion etc.
n discuss how such qualities are admired today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)