Xylem and Phloem (1 Viewer)

skitzmix17

HSC
Wasn't the theory name for xylem capilarity and for phloem translocation.

nik_noodle

HSC
hahaha xylem and phloem have ALWAYS been my weak point...maybe cause i simply dont care about plant biology :p i think i got the stuff for xylem right...i started drawing diagrams all over the page hoping i might pull a random mark for it...you never know..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For the xylem, both transpiration stream OR transpiration-cohesion-adhesion/tension are acceptable. For the phloem, both pressure flow mechanism OR translocation are acceptable. As long as you explain them.

Active/passive transport are NOT theories, they are ways in which materials move within xylem/phloem.

And current does not refers to the flow, it means currently accepted theory.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
fudge i think i put transpiration for xylem without thinking
and i mut the mass flow theory for phloem at least i think that one was right

Poker_Face

HSC
wat abt capillarity as a theory for the mechanism in xylem? is it right?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Survivor39 said:
For the xylem, both transpiration stream OR transpiration-cohesion-adhesion/tension are acceptable. For the phloem, both pressure flow mechanism OR translocation are acceptable. As long as you explain them.

Active/passive transport are NOT theories, they are ways in which materials move within xylem/phloem.

And current does not refers to the flow, it means currently accepted theory.

the table didnt allow for us to explain. it asked for what was transported, what method of movement (osmosis/active), then it asked for named theories. they didnt give room for an explaination

peeasoup

Wasnt it just.
Xylem - cohesion forces - transpiration
Phloem - Nutrients move towards sieve elements - translocation
Well thats what i put, because each row was only 1 mark..

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
it depends on what they thought 'movement' meant i thought it meant passive or active. then i thought they wanted the theory such as transpirational pull and pressure flow mechanism

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Poker_Face said:
wat abt capillarity as a theory for the mechanism in xylem? is it right?
I'm pretty sure they will accept that as well, since it is only one mark.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
the table didnt allow for us to explain. it asked for what was transported, what method of movement (osmosis/active), then it asked for named theories. they didnt give room for an explaination
As you know I haven't looked at the paper. But as long as the thoeries you wrote down are current and are found in textbook/s. If the marker never heard of your theory, and try to search it in texbooks and can't find it, you'll probably get zero.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
my theories were current. i said the movement bitr was osmosis for xylem, and active transport for phloem. then i said the theory was transpirational pull for xylem and pressure flow mechanism for phloem. they are right. i just hope they didnt want us to expand on those in a 1 inch by 1 inch box lol

valour

HSC
N/A
This question came from the section of the syllabus that asks you to describe current theories about processes responsible for movement blah blah, but doesn't ask to name or identify them, so you should have only been asked to explain the processes of the theories, not neccessarily remember the names of any in particular, transpirational pull and translocation are two that should be able to be used.

SMITHY@PREMER

HSC
i think all i talked about was that it's like adhesion and cohesion for xylem and active transport for phloem or somthing like that i dunno i just dribbled sh*t so it looked like i knew what i was talking about lol

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I put for the second set of boxes (not the current theory, the one above it) as transpiration, tension, cohesion, adhesion for xylem and translocation for phloem.

Even though l didn't put it in the corrent box will l still get marks for putting it down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)