y do u like maths? (1 Viewer)

TRUZ

OMG i loove maths!!!!! its soo0o much fun!!.....cos i'm like da best student in my class...and i wish dat every subject was maths...cos its soo0o0 useful! u can doo so much with it!!
its my favourite..just solving problems helps get a good start to the day!!
*sigh...maths...mmmmmm

TRUZ

Originally posted by Grey Council
lmao, you have ANY idea how many people claim that for any single one of their passions? It seems everything is an art, not a science. lol, I've read books where the author has claimed that pool is an art, bowling is an art, batting is an art, essay writing is an art, golf is an art. heheheh, this really is ridiculous.

having said that, I agree. Mathematics is an art, not a science. ;) :p hehe, just look for elegant solutions to harder problems, i'm sure you'll agree with me. ^__^

And everything works out in mathematics. Well, in the HSC stage anyway. :D And if you get the question right, you get it right. None of this, marker didn't like your style crap. An objective subject, as opposed to a subjective one (like english). Thats why I like maths.
yeeh maths is an art....the beautiful composition of a challenging question can be very moving.....just producing a solid complete answer is ecstacy....ahhh the aesthetics of a maths formula and its resolution.....i think i hear my text book calling to me....

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
if maths were a girl i'd marry her cos she's so straightforward, uncomplicated and doesnt make any trouble

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, well put frodo. ^_^

i dunno about uncomplicated. What happened if she decided to take the form of a question 8 one day... :(

worrisome

Affinity

HSC
There's always the physics mistress (oops :D)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
lol, well put frodo. ^_^

i dunno about uncomplicated. What happened if she decided to take the form of a question 8 one day... :(

worrisome
lol thats so true. although question 8s are bad but at least u know for sure that there's a concrete answer instead of trying to guess

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by frodo
if maths were a girl i'd marry her cos she's so straightforward, uncomplicated and doesnt make any trouble
tru, maths seems straight forward and 'nice'
then as u find out more she becomes cryptic

then u screw up once and she never forgives u..!?

and like a true woman ... quite a few things remain unexplained about her.. e.g Riemanns

maths IS a woman... and some of us r trapped by her allure :(

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, so to put it another way, many people love maths because they mistake maths for a woman. :D

how's that for a reason, Hatty? lol

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
If maths was a person I would have killed it by now

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
If maths was a person I would have killed it by now
killed it in the keypad way?
or like in the 1st degree murder way? :S

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
come on, how could u kill maths? what has she ever done to u? hehe actually wait, she's pretty evil

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
hey someone edited the post before this. lol

Last edited:

TRUZ

heey frodo! though i like ur statement, i disagree on one aspect...maths is like a women, but its not the simplicity i love.....it's the beautiful curves like a parabola, the unexplainable attraction u get when u first meet...the complete harmony of interacting with her and commiting ur time, countless hours with her....*sigh....

TooF

well, seems like this forum's full of desperate guys with unfulfilled desires, replacing them with concepts of mathematical equations huh? Well, i think guys look like asymptotes and question 1s.. they're skinny and they test your patience... no offense there :D

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
killed it in the keypad way?
or like in the 1st degree murder way? :S
Well if the first way is unsuccesful then I resort to the second way

Euler

and nice post Euler. But what did those people DO? Why are they famous?
Grothendieck is a mystery to most people. But more is being done to try and understand him and his ideas. He started out in Topological Vector spaces, but later became a leader in Algebraic Geometry.

More can be found at
http://www.grothendieck-circle.org/ and
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Grothendieck.html

One story has it that he wanted to visit a country to collaborate with other mathematicians, I think it was France. He refused to take some sort of oath because of religious or moral reasons. So he asked them how many books and how many visitors he was allowed in prison.

He also wrote this (this is an ongoing translation from the French version): http://www.fermentmagazine.org/rands/recoltes1.html
and distributed it to help others, and himself, understand his relationship with mathematics, aimed at the lay people. He was disappointed that he could not produce the 1000 pages of manuscript in one day, taking him 3 weeks.

One of the brief timelines of his life ends with "1991: In August, Grothendieck leaves his home suddenly, without warning anyone, for an unknown location. He spends his time writing an enormous work on physics and philosophical meditations on themes such as free choice, determinism and the existence of evil. He refuses practically every human contact."

Another story is one of Sato, a japanese mathematician. He left abruptly one day, leaving all teaching duties and just disappeared. He reappeared two years later, but when he did, he opened up many new branches of mathematics. When asked about where he went, he said that he went for a long walk.

As for Paul Erds (pronounced air-dish), he spent all his time on mathematics, and not much else. He lived and travelled with his mother until her death. He had no home and no job and spent his time travelling the world, with just two suitcases (one for clothes, one for maths - the one with clothes was not heavy at all), looking for people to collaborate with. In his time, he was the internet. He would be the one who would spread the word on who was working on what and with which approach, carrying most things in his head. He didn't like human contact - after a handshake, he would immediately want to wash his hands thoroughly. He liked Grapefruit. He died during a mathematics talk.

See www.paulerdos.com

Then there are the great Giants that live in the history of mathematics: Euler (this is my nick, but I am not referring to myself), Gauss, Newton, Ramanujan, Hardy, Littlewood, Weil, and plenty more.

Oh, and one last one: Nicolas Bourbaki. This was not a person, but a group of mathematicians who made mathematics rigorous. Before Bourbaki, mathematics was in a kind of mess. These people rectified the situation and volumes of mathematics redefining what was "common knowledge". more at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/NicolasBourbaki.html

Euler

Oh, and I forgot to mention Martin Nash, the mathematician in A Beautiful Mind. The movie does not do justice to the book.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Euler
Oh, and I forgot to mention Martin Nash, the mathematician in A Beautiful Mind. The movie does not do justice to the book.
I thought his name was John Forbes Nash? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)