y10 accelerent, scared and confused (1 Viewer)

fr3d

HSC
N/A
Hullo,

I’m a year 10 physics accelerant (this means I do the HSC in year 11), so we’ve just started the year 12 course (our school does Motors & Generators first).

I’m not too sure what I’m meant to be doing, we’ve started the HSC course but it doesn’t feel like we have, it feels like we’re going really slowly in class (I’m told our teacher sometimes doesn’t finnish the course on time...) we don’t even have the textbook yet.

So I want to teach myself. I was thinking of getting a tutor (maybe once every two weeks) not to really teach me concepts but to point me in the right direction, like suggesting books and past papers, teaching me how to write notes etc... (can anyone recommend a good physics tutor in Eastern Sydney?)

Should I go ahead of my class or should I keep up with them?

How much time per night should I spend studying/working on physics, atm it’s next to nothing.

Where would I get extra questions/worksheets? (I bought Dot Point Physics, but it only has one or two questions for each concept)

Should I buy extra textbooks (Jacaranda?) we use Physics in Focus.

Anyway. Lots of questions but I really don't know what i’m doing...

Thanks,

F.

fr3d

HSC
N/A
We've finished magnetism (I think. the hand rules, conventions etc) and just started the motor effect and how a basic DC motor works.

We were delayed quite a bit by the school certificate, 3 excursions, a year 10 camp (8 days!) and a fire drill during a double period... (we do motors this term and generators next year)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
We've finished magnetism (I think. the hand rules, conventions etc) and just started the motor effect and how a basic DC motor works.

we do motors this term and generators next year
Just started how a motor works? You should have done that a long, long time ago...not now. The whole topic Motors and Generators should always be done in one term - not splitting it to next year.

fr3d

HSC
N/A
yeh... that's why I'm worried :p

Where should we be up to? I'm thinking of catching up this holidays.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh... that's why I'm worried :p

Where should we be up to? I'm thinking of catching up this holidays.
We just finished Eddy currents and Back emf - starting on Generators now. That's where I would expect most of the state to be on if they started with Motors and Generators.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hullo,

I’m a year 10 physics accelerant (this means I do the HSC in year 11), so we’ve just started the year 12 course (our school does Motors & Generators first).

I’m not too sure what I’m meant to be doing, we’ve started the HSC course but it doesn’t feel like we have, it feels like we’re going really slowly in class (I’m told our teacher sometimes doesn’t finnish the course on time...) we don’t even have the textbook yet.

So I want to teach myself. I was thinking of getting a tutor (maybe once every two weeks) not to really teach me concepts but to point me in the right direction, like suggesting books and past papers, teaching me how to write notes etc... (can anyone recommend a good physics tutor in Eastern Sydney?)

Should I go ahead of my class or should I keep up with them?

How much time per night should I spend studying/working on physics, atm it’s next to nothing.

Where would I get extra questions/worksheets? (I bought Dot Point Physics, but it only has one or two questions for each concept)

Should I buy extra textbooks (Jacaranda?) we use Physics in Focus.

Anyway. Lots of questions but I really don't know what i’m doing...

Thanks,

F.
1. It's the HSC, and for university you have to be self-sufficient with learning. So... yeah, if you feel the class is crap - go ahead of them and use class as 'revision'.
2. Do enough study that you can do the questions and know most of what you need to know and have revised. If that takes 30 minutes, then do 30 minutes. If it takes 3 hours, then do 3 hours - though you should spread time out to other subjects.
3. Extra questions you can find in textbooks.
4. Jacaranda is good.

fr3d

HSC
N/A
Thanks Shadowdude, it helps allot (especially cause I don't really have a benchmark of what I should be doing).

K

khorne

Good notes are essential. I would do a detailed set of notes for each topic, then before exams, make mini summaries of things you don't know (not of the whole topic etc), and just revise that.

fr3d

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice bobthebuilder94,

Where would I get good notes from? Should I ask people who've just finished the HSC at my school (should I pay; how much?).

Is it the reading of notes or the making of notes that helps you remember? I guess combining notes does both.

***​

I'm going on exchange these holidays, I'm told french kids do 3 hours of homework at night (in that time, I'm going to read my english novels and work through a french book, but it probably leaves me with 1.5h/night for physics :) )

My plan is to first go over preliminary work and the go as far ahead as I feel comfortable, I think I'm going to:

Read the textbook (Physics in Focus and maybe Jacaranda)
Google stuff I don't understand (?)
Read several good notes, use these to make mine (possibly just copy&paste)
Answer lots of questions: textbook + dot point physics (unless I save this for revision later on?) + past papers

oh... and what should I do with the notes I make in class? At the moment I've been typing them up.

fr3d

HSC
N/A
Look how fucking confused he is
:)

I was... I still don't really know what I'm doing (notice all the question marks :) ) but having read this board a bit more and asking some seniors at my school I think I get what I'm doing a bit more...

K

khorne

:)

I was... I still don't really know what I'm doing (notice all the question marks :) ) but having read this board a bit more and asking some seniors at my school I think I get what I'm doing a bit more...
You may want to download someone elses notes and use them as a base, but by all means write your own. Writing notes will help to fill gaps and remember. You can add as much or as little as you are comfortable with as well. Questions in physics aren't THAT important, as with, say, maths. It's more understanding the concepts. Thus, make sure you have a decent book, I like jacaranda, but it's up to you. Do a few questions from older HSC papers (i would tend to avoid questions from the books, they are nothing like HSC qs) and you'll be fine. Additionally, the internet has toones of great sites, I can post some up if you'd like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)