• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

y12 subjects (1 Viewer)

iloveeggs

HSC
so my initial plan for next year is to do ext 1 maths, ext 2 maths, chem, physics, modern, adv english and ext 1 english. my thought process was that since ill be done with adv maths ill have a bunch of free periods and so ill be able to cope with the burden of doing 13 units.

im really not so sure that i can cope considering all my courses are really content heavy.

i have above average marks in all of my courses pretty much. ill also most likely be picking up 4u maths. for context the goal is to do undergrad med

so basically the options im considering are:

drop modern (11 units)drop eng ext 1 (12 units)keep both (13 units)
PROS
  • its SO much work. i can easily expect some work for this subject almost every lesson bc i can't finish my notes in class. and i have it almost everyday.
  • dropping it will give me 2 units worth of free periods on top of free periods that everyone gets + the free periods where advanced maths is supposed to be
  • im doing fine in this course but worse than english ext. not bad tho
  • i genuinely don't care about it that much. i picked it bc we were forced to do 12 units (my school wants us to stay on the safe side) and it sounded interesting'
  • the way this class is taught is not working for me. its like 80% note-taking, which i can't be motivated to do.
CONS
  • idk if my cohort is strong or not but many of the previous cohorts had state rankers and a high b6 rate. the teacher is very good
  • ill only have 11 units. this is my BIGGEST concern bc if i do badly in smth 1 spare unit might not cover my ass.
PROS
  • i don't think i have the IT factor. what i mean is eng ext is a course where you have to already have some level of natural talent if that makes sense, and you have to be able to be engaging even in essays. im going to talk to my teacher about this. i feel like its unlikely she will tell me to drop since im doing so well but i feel like imposter syndrome almost. i feel like i should have never been accepted in bc my peers are naturally more englishy and im a STEM girly
  • i will still have 12 units, so even if i bomb 2 units i will still have 10
  • dropping it will give me 1 units worth of free periods on top of free periods that everyone gets + the free periods where advanced maths is supposed to be
CONS
  • i LOVE this class. id be like heartbroken if i dropped it ngl
  • the lesson format is so engaging. ive never slacked off in this class before.
  • i have straight band 6 results in this subject. like im near the top in my cohort.
  • bc its a 1 unit the class is kind of infrequent. what that means is that even if there is work everyday (there usually isn't that much work on a daily basis). so by dropping it, my day-to-day workload isn't reducing by much. it would still be a bit of a burden
PROS
  • ill have 13 units which is safe in case i bomb a subject or 2
CONS
  • im already having issues coping. my mental health is horrific bc i have no time to relax really
  • 13 units is a lot of work. even with 12 i am struggling a bit atm. i dropped a lot of my extracurriculars bc i just dont have the time

the reason why i don't want to consider dropping other subjects is because my cohorts are stronger and i feel confident with my choice to take them.

so im leaning towards dropping modern but im scared about the whole 11 units thing. everyone around me is advising me against it but i genuinely would prefer dropping modern.

any advice would be appreciated!

iloveeggs

HSC
dropping modern sounds like a good idea imo
do you reckon 11 units is fine tho? im genuinely kind of scared to drop to 11. very few of the ppl in my grade dropped to 10 units, and most ppl are advising me against it

v.tex

HSC
do you reckon 11 units is fine tho? im genuinely kind of scared to drop to 11. very few of the ppl in my grade dropped to 10 units, and most ppl are advising me against it
bruh do 11 units. You will be way better off as you will have way more time to study for your other subjects, and as there as no safety net your gonna really want to put in the hard work for your subjects to do well in the HSC. Theres no point doing Modern if you don't even enjoy it that much, it will just affect your study time for your other subjects leading to you doing bad in the subjects you actually care about.

I honestly would even consider doing 10 units if i was you, your better off.

iloveeggs

HSC
bruh do 11 units. You will be way better off as you will have way more time to study for your other subjects, and as there as no safety net your gonna really want to put in the hard work for your subjects to do well in the HSC. Theres no point doing Modern if you don't even enjoy it that much, it will just affect your study time for your other subjects leading to you doing bad in the subjects you actually care about.

I honestly would even consider doing 10 units if i was you, your better off.
yup okay thanks!

iloveeggs

HSC
guys should i put in effort into modern if im going to drop it anyways? my other assessments are all really hard i just can't be asked to study for modern. ill def do okay i just don't care tho

C_master

HSC
guys should i put in effort into modern if im going to drop it anyways? my other assessments are all really hard i just can't be asked to study for modern. ill def do okay i just don't care tho
thats me rn Im dropping both ancient and pdhpe and I cant asked to study for them

spiderfan44

HSC
nah youll be fine. youve got more time to dedicate to your subjects, plus ext 1 will cover 50% of your shittest subject

spiderfan44

HSC
also i reckon its more likely youll be stretched thin and preform poorly across a couple of subjects because you havent had enough time to study or really refine an assignment than you preforming quite poorly in one subject

iloveeggs

HSC
I was talking to my teacher abt this in subject selection and she mentioned that you don't study a subj to drop it. If you're alreadly learning it, its probably right to continue on with it
ik but its difficult considering all of my other exams are so difficult and modern is literally my first exam. ofc i will try in prelims but by the time y12 starts this exam likely wont even be graded, and by then i'd have dropped the subject so i don't see a point ngl

iloveeggs

HSC
also i reckon its more likely youll be stretched thin and preform poorly across a couple of subjects because you havent had enough time to study or really refine an assignment than you preforming quite poorly in one subject
thanks i haven't thought of it that way

HSC
i dont watch ufc bro

but to put it shortly i have 13 units: ext 1 maths, ext 2 maths, chem, physics, modern, adv english and ext 1 english

and i need to drop a subject: either modern or ext english

any advice?
i think drop modern because i think english scales better and idk unless you wanna be a historian or som i dont see how modern is useful but thats js me

HSC
So basically if Leon Edwards didn't knock out Karamar Usman with a overhead kick, it could have changed the entire course of the fight.
bro that isnt a good explanation, edwards got lucky w that kick thats literally his only highlight and if he didnt land it it wouldve been unanimous decision kamaru like yh it changed the course of the fight but like this doesnt relate to dropping a subject

iloveeggs

HSC
guys while you are here pls fuel my delusion. should i grind for modern or nah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)