Yay more workplace stuff (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
"Evaluate the role of the AIRC in dealing with matters in the workplace"

Okay so here's the speech question i was given a while ago.(~5-6min) What kind of things should i include? and given the dull nature of the topic, how should i structure the speech to get the best possible mark? I have a few ideas on the two questions but i'd appreciate some input.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jago said:
"Evaluate the role of the AIRC in dealing with matters in the workplace"

Okay so here's the speech question i was given a while ago.(~5-6min) What kind of things should i include? and given the dull nature of the topic, how should i structure the speech to get the best possible mark? I have a few ideas on the two questions but i'd appreciate some input.
why Jago dear, when did you become so polite.

ummm funny you should ask that, because I was just on the worksite site reading their lovely worksheet on the AIRC. My assessment was one of those exams where you can take in a sheet of notes and write an essay so I'm afraid I won't be much help.

The AIRC administers the WRA 1996 and covers industrial disputes beyond the limits of one state in Australia. So it has a limited role in this respect because a lot of disputes are treated at state level. The WRA reversed the arrangement for fed laws to override state laws in some part. Under the WRA the AIRC in conjunction with the Industrial Register, Fed Court (Ind division) it makes decisions on national wages, conciliates enterprise bargaining and unfair dismissal issues, approves certified agreements and AWA on the advice from the Employment Advocate. So it has some but limited effectiveness.

worksite said:
In 1996, the Federal Coalition government's Workplace Relations Act changed the AIRC's role slightly. The arbitration process has been replaced with a system that tries t make employers and employees negotiate their disputes at work. This means the AIRC has to try to prevent and settle industrial disputes by conciliation, and as a last resort by arbitration.

When the AIRC makes decisions, it must consider racial discrimination, sex discrimination and the health, safety and welfare of employees as well as the interests of the Australian community.

As well as prevent and settle industrial disputes, other remaining responsibilities of the AIRC include:

ensure that fair minimum wages and working conditions are maintained;
make sure men and women receive equal pay for work of equal value;
encourage and assist workplace and enterprise bargaining agreements;
protect wages and conditions of employment through awards;
check that agreements are fair and 'certify' them;
ensure labour standards meet Australia's international obligations; and
prevent and eliminate identified forms of discrimination
I'd mention the IR reforms which would greatly decrease the power of the commission, reducing the 20 min standards to a measly 5. Read the speech made by Mr Combet on the ACTU website. www.actu.asn.au - it's right up the top, to the National Press Club of Australia.

With such a precise question as this you'd obviously have to do a bit of research, the AIRC has its site here, (this is for the annual reports, which might help, though at 3 MB + it might take some time to read, there should be an executive summary)
http://www.airc.gov.au/research/about/about.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)