Yayy..fraud! (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
I know everyone is porobably going to read it in their email but I thought I'd make a thread about it anyway. So fucking hot today.

TITLE: Campus Watch - Email Scam

Email Scam

Senior Constable Patterson, Crime Prevention Unit, Wollongong Police has advised that several people from the campus community have reported to local Detectives being tricked by an email employment scam. Persons are invited to join a company as a financial assistant. As part of the employment you are asked to provide your bank account details. The scammers then arrange what they call client payments to be made directly into your account. You are then permitted to keep part of the deposit for your time, and then to transfer the remaining part of the transaction to another bank account. Shortly afterwards your bank may discover the transaction as a fraudulent one and freeze your bank account. Snr Constable Patterson advised that the bank then, is seeking from the individual who has participated in the scam the full value of the original deposited transaction to your account.

People participating in this scam then risk prosecution by Police for the fraudulent activity (money laundering) and loosing a substantial amount of money where the bank is seeking the value of the original fraudulent transaction.

It is recommended that if you come across any emails seeking internet employment that you should carefully check the validity of the claims or simply delete the message. Don't provide bank account details to anyone without first establishing legitimate and appropriate business links, don't accept payments to your account on behalf of other parties

Also, may I remind everyone to change their passwords in time for next session. :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I didn't get that email.

I am going to change my password for the minimum amount of time and then change it back like I did last time because you have to have stupid random letters and the random letter combo I have now is the only one I remember.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I didn't get that email.

I am going to change my password for the minimum amount of time and then change it back like I did last time because you have to have stupid random letters and the random letter combo I have now is the only one I remember.
You need to learn to remember them.

Google a random password generator and use it. If you're not creative enough to make things up as you go along, get a computer to do it for you. :)

HSC
Which in turn will cause you to forget your password more often seeing as you didn't have a hand in generating it, or make you more likely to do Something Stupid, like writing it down on paper. :)

A better idea is to look around for guides to generating personalised random passwords, using non-obvious information (Not your birthday, for example :>). One that I like is picking the name of your favourite album and using the first letter of each word in the title in alternating caps (Or some other pattern) (Ideally more than one word), seperating each letter with a digit from the year of release, then add symbols in there somewhere too for good measure. Stuff like that. It sounds like it is quite complicated, but you'll find that the end result is much easier to remember than 23Fez;;/634!

One thing that *is* useful to google is a computational security tool for password analysis, which lets you test how "secure" your password is against attacks and provides a theoretical estimate of how long it should take for a reasonably efficient attack to compromise it.

Almost forgot, re: the scam, lol, you'd have to be a bit of an idiot :)

santaslayer

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I didn't get that email.

It's in SOLS, not webmail. :)

Passwords are passwords. Googling a random password generator is too much effort. Use your girlfriend/mother/father/sister/brother's birthdate instead. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)