Year 10 Mathematics in Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also they should make extension 1 and 2 maths compulsory to all students no matter what
Then that means we should make extension 1 and 2 english compulsory to all students no matter what.

Then there would be no point calling it extension 1 and 2 at all if everyone is doing it lol

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also in order to improve the education standards of Australia, they need to start introducing these "elective choices early" and then when it comes to year 11 and 12, make certain subjects compulsory. E.g. the electives in year 9-10 should be introduced in year 7 and just year 7, in year 8, they should start introducing in Prelim and HSC elective, all to be completed in one year (For a science subject like senior science or Bio, do the practicals in class and make all the students do all the work at home)-same with year 9 and 10 and then in year 12, they will do the compulsory high scaling combo (i.e. Advanced English, extension 1 and 2 maths, Physics, Chemistry). If you wanna do something else, too bad that should've been done in year 8-10 (including humanities)
You do realise that if you make a subject compulsory then its scaling becomes worse...LOL

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Then that means we should make extension 1 and 2 english compulsory to all students no matter what.

Then there would be no point calling it extension 1 and 2 at all if everyone is doing it lol
Well yeah I guess but Maths is an integral part of society and is very neglected upon in Australia (even high schools have trouble recruiting maths teachers). Maths is like english (if you get what I mean in that sense that its used in the industry and everyday life) and the applications of mathematics is far beyond our imagination

Also english extension (1&2) is not the minimum requirement in NSW (if you get what I mean)

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
how...its only like 5 compulsory subjects in year 12 lol
Without going into technical details, a subject scales well if it contains students from the higher end of the total HSC population. A subject scales badly if it contains students from the lower end of the total HSC population.

Compulsory subjects like English Standard/Advanced have virtually no good scaling effects because it is basically the whole HSC population anyway. Once you make subjects such as Maths Ext2 compulsory, then you have basically the whole HSC population so its scaling will become similar to that of English Standard/Advanced.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Without going into technical details, a subject scales well if it contains students from the higher end of the total HSC population. A subject scales badly if it contains students from the lower end of the total HSC population.

Compulsory subjects like English Standard/Advanced have virtually no good scaling effects because it is basically the whole HSC population anyway. Once you make subjects such as Maths Ext2 compulsory, then you have basically the whole HSC population so its scaling will become similar to that of English Standard/Advanced.
Yeah I guess you're right, but seriously they should make maths compulsory (3U minimum) as it will change the attitude of such students to mathematics

Also if the government wants to make a decent investment in the education industry, they need to make wise choices on what they're going to invest in rather than invest in irrelevant things (i.e. extra space in schools, etc)

Also anyone should have be a teacher, as long as they have a degree in that field (i.e. don't need an educaion degree but you need a maths degree, literature degree or science degree) rather than having "a masters of teaching" b/c all that's saying is that you got a degree in maths and you have another expensive piece of paper which you spent 4-6 years on

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yeah I guess you're right, but seriously they should make maths compulsory (3U minimum) as it will change the attitude of such students to mathematics

Also if the government wants to make a decent investment in the education industry, they need to make wise choices on what they're going to invest in rather than invest in irrelevant things (i.e. extra space in schools, etc)

Also anyone should have be a teacher, as long as they have a degree in that field (i.e. don't need an educaion degree but you need a maths degree, literature degree or science degree) rather than having "a masters of teaching" b/c all that's saying is that you got a degree in maths and you have another expensive piece of paper which you spent 4-6 years on
I don't think making maths compulsory at HSC level will change attitudes at all tbh. I mean look at English as an example of a compulsory subject and how many people still hate it (including me).

I also think an education degree is still necessary to become a proper teacher. Just because you know the subject matter well doesn't mean you will be a good teacher. You need to learn the psychologies of being actually able to communicate clearly and being able to address the needs of students at all levels. You only need to look at uni lecturers to see what happens when you have a subject matter expert who only knows the subject very well but doesn't know how to teach it.

leehuan

HSC

Minimum 3U will hammer people down worse than English advanced does...

leehuan

HSC
Uh yeah thats the issue but seriously, how do ppl not understand how maths is important?
Not everyone is going to use THAT much maths in their life...

Most will go on to never using maths again for anything besides counting their money and telling the time so if you want to make it compulsory just make it minimum general

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Not everyone is going to use THAT much maths in their life...

Most will go on to never using maths again for anything besides counting their money and telling the time so if you want to make it compulsory just make it minimum general
Okay...but why should english be compulsory if you're not going to use the area of study that much in their life?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Okay...but why should english be compulsory if you're not going to use the area of study that much in their life?
I personally think English shouldn't be compulsory unless they change the course completely to focus on stuff that is more applicable to real life

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I personally think English shouldn't be compulsory unless they change the course completely to focus on stuff that is more applicable to real life
Firstly, we should have it renamed to Literature, and append a few labels to account for non-text media, then we can start moving.

leehuan

HSC
I was never a fan of English being compulsory myself js.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you look at the modules and how it's focused on arguments, isn't that real life...I mean it follows the structure of a letter and such but isn't 100% inclined to that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)